TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Question about Juicy's weight problem!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about Juicy's weight problem!

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Okay, so anyone who has seen Juicy lately should have noticed that he has become a big boy, realllllly fast. He's got big feet, so I'm pretty sure he would be a big boy anyway, but I'm very concerned about how much belly he has hanging down.

I feed Juicy the Authority kitten hard food. He gets the recommended amount, measured out daily. I used to feed him the Nutro kitten, but he eventually started to dislike it. The only treat he gets is tuna flakes, but only once a day.

He drinks water regularly, and plays ALOT! My family members and I are constantly playing with him. Every once in a while, I will give him a packet of Nutro (wet) Weight Management.

Juicy's littermate is only 9 pounds and very healthy-looking, while Juicy is about 13 pounds! AAAAAAAAH!!!

Someone please help, what can I do? He will be a year old in August...do you think I should switch to an adult food now? Is it the kitten food that is making him gain weight?



Help please!

Another question...is it possible to help him rid his hangy-belly?

Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 29
I just put Billy on a small diet a week ago, and he is already slacked off of it, because he lost most his excess weight. He really lost a little too fast, but he was being picky about his food. I bought him Purina One Weight Formula. It works like a charm, but now I mix it with his regular food, which is kitten food right now, because CJ is nursing. That works great, though!
post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
Purina One is what Juicy's littermate's owner feeds him, and like I said he is only 9 pounds!!!

Maybe I should start mixing that with Juicy's food until I can switch him to it???

Any other advice anyone?
post #4 of 29
Lacey, I would definitely switch him to adult food. He no longer needs kitten food! Yes, that will bulk him up. If he's smitten with kitten formula I'd mix 1/2 and 1/2 and wean him off in about 2 weeks. You can substitute with healthy treats w/low fat content.
post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashacat421
Lacey, I would definitely switch him to adult food. He no longer needs kitten food! Yes, that will bulk him up. If he's smitten with kitten formula I'd mix 1/2 and 1/2 and wean him off in about 2 weeks. You can substitute with healthy treats w/low fat content.
Thanks so much, E!!! I will go to Petsmart and get some different food tonight. What kind would you recommend. Also, how much should I be feeding him a day? Should I just follow the recommendations on the bag, or do they always tell you to use a little too much so that you will buy more of their product?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a concerned momma and am anxious to get Juicy back in shape!!!
post #6 of 29
You know, I hate to always plug Pat, but that's all we have at our house. When Sasha needed to drop a few (he's 21 lbs) we ordered from Pat and it was well worth it. If that might be too combersome, I'd ask Pat what she thinks for Pet store products. I know if you do a search within this Board, you will find tons of answers for "overweight diet" use those search key words.... I'm sure if you popped Pat a note, she'd get back to you in a flash!
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashacat421
You know, I hate to always plug Pat, but that's all we have at our house. When Sasha needed to drop a few (he's 21 lbs) we ordered from Pat and it was well worth it. If that might be too combersome, I'd ask Pat what she thinks for Pet store products. I know if you do a search within this Board, you will find tons of answers for "overweight diet" use those search key words.... I'm sure if you popped Pat a note, she'd get back to you in a flash!
Will do! I don't think I have time to order any over the internet though, as he is almost finished with his current bag. There is just enough left for me to mix in with whatever new kind I get, so that his system can adjust to it....

I'll do a search. Thanks again, E, you are wonderful!
post #8 of 29
naaaa, I didn't do a darn thing. You get to do all the work!
I just love your boy is all.
Pat is normally available in early evening hours like now and she's very knowledgable, so just ask her what to shop for and the ingredients breakdown on the can, like % of what and % of what. etc. etc.
post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
thanks again, PM'ing her right now!!!
post #10 of 29
Hi, I see you've already had some great answers...I agree, it's a good time to switch Juicy over to an adult diet. Fwiw, why not just continue with the Authority since he likes it and does well with it? They have adult varieties, and for now, follow the recommended feeding amt...if he's truly plump, give the low amt within that recomendation (usually, they'll have list wt. in a range, and say for that range feed from x amt to y amt).

Trust me that you can see a LOT of variation in size within a single litter...case in point, Miss Lyra is maybe 8 lbs....her brother's are 13+!
post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
thanks so much for your reply!!! I just finished a PM for you!

I'll look at the Authority (adult) tonight. Do you think I should get Authority, or try out the Nutro adult. Is the Nutro better for him?

If you had to say what you feel is the *best* adult cat food, in your opinion, what would it be? I want to get the best for my boy! I want him to be healthy!
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyDF
thanks so much for your reply!!! I just finished a PM for you!

I'll look at the Authority (adult) tonight. Do you think I should get Authority, or try out the Nutro adult. Is the Nutro better for him?

If you had to say what you feel is the *best* adult cat food, in your opinion, what would it be? I want to get the best for my boy! I want him to be healthy!
I do like Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care line, I also like (but have not yet tried) the new Innova Evo, but most of all, I think that Authority is a solid brand, and if Juicy is doing well on it, why rock the boat with a brand change at the moment? Over the course of his lifetime, you may want to consider when possible, switching to more of a canned food diet (or a home cooked - recipe to be one approved by your vet as complete and well balanced), but for many, a quality dry food is what's going to be on the menu
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
When should I start putting canned food in on the menu? I can do that now if you think it's a good idea. What kind do you suggest? And should should he be on wet and dry together, or just wet?
post #14 of 29
My elliot was about 13lbs when he was a year old, and the vet saw nothing wrong with him! We just have big cats is all! Aerowyn on the other hand, will probably only be six lbs when she reaches a year! Elliots paws are three times the size of hers! You will likely just have a big boy.. better look into buying small dog sweaters instead of cat ones eh? Elliot is about 15 now, but usualy weighs about 17
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
about the sweaters!!! That's something I've been worried about the last several days! Juicy's gonna need "large" now instead of Small/Medium!!!

Oh boy, now I'm sad again!
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyDF
When should I start putting canned food in on the menu? I can do that now if you think it's a good idea. What kind do you suggest? And should should he be on wet and dry together, or just wet?
Get him transitioned to his adult dry, be sure no tummy upsets etc., then consider adding in canned food (reduce the amt. of dry to allow for the calories of the canned, since you don't want him to gain).

There are a number of solid canned foods - things to avoid as a general list: canned foods that begin with anything other than a meat or fish or poultry in the first ingredients, use of artificial colorings or flavorings, soy, animal digest, by-products, preservatives such as BHA/BHT, garlic (imo).

Innova, petguard, felidae are all good..and Active Life is coming back into production (I will post when, when I find out). Merrick foods also do well...just take it gradually, as sometimes you'll find a food is too rich, or that there is an ingredient that just doesn't sit well with your kitty...don't try too many changes, and when beginning canned food, try just a spoon at a time to get started and see how he does with it.
post #17 of 29
Thread Starter 
thanks so much, again!!! I'm so excited to go to Petsmart tonight!!!
post #18 of 29
I would say pick the highest protien with the least fat of the nutro or authority lines.. I like authoritys wet ( well the girls eat it )...
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix
I do like Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care line, I also like (but have not yet tried) the new Innova Evo, but most of all, I think that Authority is a solid brand, and if Juicy is doing well on it, why rock the boat with a brand change at the moment? Over the course of his lifetime, you may want to consider when possible, switching to more of a canned food diet (or a home cooked - recipe to be one approved by your vet as complete and well balanced), but for many, a quality dry food is what's going to be on the menu
I've wanted to use the Authority Lite in place of Hills WD for weight lost. Since this is a Petsmart "house" brand, I'm leary of using it. It did, however, go thru AFFCO feeding trials. But I'm just not sure of the consistency of the ingredients from batch to batch.

Pat - is it critical to feed a food that went thru feeding trials or one that is f"ormulated to meet AFFCO regulations"?
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine chand
I've wanted to use the Authority Lite in place of Hills WD for weight lost. Since this is a Petsmart "house" brand, I'm leary of using it. It did, however, go thru AFFCO feeding trials. But I'm just not sure of the consistency of the ingredients from batch to batch.

Pat - is it critical to feed a food that went thru feeding trials or one that is f"ormulated to meet AFFCO regulations"?
Honestly, I think any food sold here in the US has met/is labelled as having met the AAFCO parameters(I may be wrong but I've never seen a brand that didn't) including the cheapest (won't mention the brand) cat canned that I've seen. To me, frankly, it doesn't give that much assurance...I go by the ingredients list, and guaranteed analysis, and if I can afford to get a brand where there is more assurance re quality of ingredients used, do so. We all have to live within our budgets you just go with the best you can afford.
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix
I do like Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care line, I also like (but have not yet tried) the new Innova Evo, but most of all, I think that Authority is a solid brand, and if Juicy is doing well on it, why rock the boat with a brand change at the moment? Over the course of his lifetime, you may want to consider when possible, switching to more of a canned food diet (or a home cooked - recipe to be one approved by your vet as complete and well balanced), but for many, a quality dry food is what's going to be on the menu
I've wanted to use the Authority Lite in place of Hills WD for weight lost. Since this is a Petsmart "house" brand, I'm leary of using it. It did, however, go thru AFFCO feeding trials. But I'm just not sure of the consistency of the ingredients from batch to batch.

Pat - is it critical to feed a food that went thru feeding trials or one that is f"ormulated to meet AFFCO regulations"?
post #22 of 29
Most canned foods are not feed in feeding trials so finding one that did will be hard... I have bought both formulated and trial tested drys and not much difference if you read carefully
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
Most canned foods are not feed in feeding trials so finding one that did will be hard... I have bought both formulated and trial tested drys and not much difference if you read carefully
Sorry, I don't understand This statement below (from a Fancy Feast can I have on hand) is the one I am referring to, and is on every canned cat food I have ever reviewed or purchased:
"Animal Feeding Tests using AAFCO procedures substantitate that (Fancy Feast) XY flavor. provides complete and balanced nutrition for the growth and maintenance of cats."
post #24 of 29
sorry my head is funny today... I have eagle pack and natural choice cans and both are fomulated..not feeding tested.. though the petgold is feeding tested.. .. so is the wellness the dog will get as a treat since you educated me about garlic and cats( thank you so much) .. feeding tested guess it is a toss up ...
post #25 of 29
My cat Topanga has a bit of a weight problem, too. I feed her Nutro Nautral Choice complete. She never even finishes her food, and she does play and run around sometimes, but she still is a huge fatty. Should I mix her food with the diet version of the food? She doesn't eat wet food and I hardly ever give her treats. I've read some suggestions from you guys (which are great), but if you have any more, let me know. Maybe there's a certain amount that I should give her. She's a bit over a year old.

-Jon
post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 
Jon is she eating adult food, or kitten food (Nutro Natural)?

How much does she weigh?
post #27 of 29
Ask your vet sometimes we think they are fat and they arent and vice vs..
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyDF
Jon is she eating adult food, or kitten food (Nutro Natural)?

How much does she weigh?
She eats adult food and she is about 8lbs. (estimated)
post #29 of 29
Thread Starter 
She sounds little to me! 8 pounds seems rather healthy for being over a year old.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Question about Juicy's weight problem!