TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I took out my mailbox last night!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I took out my mailbox last night!!!

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
How many times in the past 18 years do you think I have turned into the driveway??? Well I must have been daydreaming (perhaps Ryan in his underwear) and I turned too short with the truck. I have a couple of long "dings" now-no paint was taken off the box.
I snapped the mailbox off the wooden post. We had reinforced it a few years ago after someone hit it so its not in prime condition to begin with.

So what do fellow TCS members use for mailboxes -preferably the rural people??? I have to contend with the snowplow's possibly hitting it in the winter and of course vandals. I think Rubbermaid has one with a slot for the newspaper but I don't know how durable they are???

So dh asked if I hit anything on the way to work this am (he's bad)
post #2 of 15
When I was growing up my parents dug out a large hole, filled it with cement and put a large wooden post in the ground. After it was dry we secured an inexpensive tin/metal mail box to it. We had nasty kids that would beat the mail boxes and we did have the nice rubbermaid kind but it was winter and the plastic got so cold that it snapped. They figured the kids were going to do it no matter what so we got a really cheap one. But the plows didn't harm the post anymore. Also, in the winter time my parents would get that bright orange plastic fencing and wrap it around the pole so it was easier to see against the snow. Hope that helps!
post #3 of 15
Well look at it this way at least you took out your own mail box. I have actually taken out another person's mailbox talk about embarassing.

My Aunt and Uncle live out in the country and use a Rubbermaid they have a lot of problems where they live with kids taking out mail boxes with baseball bats. The rest of the family uses metal mailboxes with concrete reinforcement.
post #4 of 15
Did you have too much beer to go with that cheese ???
post #5 of 15
Our poor box has been hit often in the past two winters. And it's only been there since January of 2004!

Right now we have a wooden post with a large metal mailbox taped on! (Strapping tape is what sis had available.) Nieghbor up the road has his box taped on, too.

Neighbor down the road is on his third or fourth plastic box.

My grandfather bought this place about 1930. He used a wagon wheel and axle. Mom said it was funny watching highway workers trying to pull it up.

You might try what one of my college profs did when he was the constant target of vandals. He obtained a large boulder and hollowed out a spot for the box. Not long afterwards, some yahoo used a 4-wheel-drive to dislodge it from its place.

Good luck!
post #6 of 15
I have a friend tht got tired of having his mailbox hit, so he got a spring from a railroad car, welded it into a heavy hollow pipe, and sunk most of the spring into comcrete. Then he put his mailbox back on the top of the pipe. The next time one of the neighborhood heathens hit it, it hit back!
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kat2
I have a friend tht got tired of having his mailbox hit, so he got a spring from a railroad car, welded it into a heavy hollow pipe, and sunk most of the spring into comcrete. Then he put his mailbox back on the top of the pipe. The next time one of the neighborhood heathens hit it, it hit back!
OMG, that is great~!!!!!
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kat2
I have a friend tht got tired of having his mailbox hit, so he got a spring from a railroad car, welded it into a heavy hollow pipe, and sunk most of the spring into comcrete. Then he put his mailbox back on the top of the pipe. The next time one of the neighborhood heathens hit it, it hit back!
I love it!
post #9 of 15
I think my mailbox is sitting on a bloody railroad tie that my FIL put in (we bought the house from the in-laws.) If it's not a RR tie, it's at least a 6x6. I know I am NOT going to like digging the thing up when I replace it (the least he could have done would be to put it in plumb and not about 6 inches off the vertical!)
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC
How many times in the past 18 years do you think I have turned into the driveway??? Well I must have been daydreaming (perhaps Ryan in his underwear) and I turned too short with the truck. I have a couple of long "dings" now-no paint was taken off the box.
I snapped the mailbox off the wooden post. We had reinforced it a few years ago after someone hit it so its not in prime condition to begin with.

So what do fellow TCS members use for mailboxes -preferably the rural people??? I have to contend with the snowplow's possibly hitting it in the winter and of course vandals. I think Rubbermaid has one with a slot for the newspaper but I don't know how durable they are???

So dh asked if I hit anything on the way to work this am (he's bad)
Gail, those glasses of wine finally caught up to you.
post #11 of 15
not sure what to use..but our company answeres for a mailbox place.....www.seattleluxe.com
post #12 of 15
One of my teachers used the plain metal kind. When some kids took out the second he decided to just put it back up the way it was (allll banged up!) and they never bothered it agian. I've seen some mailboxes made of bricks. They are very pretty in my oppinion but not an option for everyone. Good luck!
post #13 of 15
Oh poor you Gail! Hope you find a nice replacement.
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms
not sure what to use..but our company answeres for a mailbox place.....www.seattleluxe.com

They have a few nice ones!! Espescially the planter one (but more plants to water then!!)
post #15 of 15
Okay someone told me I missed this thread, so I'm checking it out now... me in my underwear... The thought bored poor Gail so much she fell asleep at the wheel and drove over the mailbox! So anyway... I don't live in a rural area. My mailbox is a slot on my porch door where the mail carrier scrunches things through. Maybe she has something against me. I also have two rungs beside the door for flyers that I never get because there's a sticker with a catchy saying that says "Save our trees, no flyers please!" I lovingly call it the hippie sticker. It was there when I moved in and I thought it would be just fine to leave it. On the ultra rare occasion I still get a stupid complimentary newspaper or *gasp!* even a flyer!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I took out my mailbox last night!!!