TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Innocent irritation...what's the phrase?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Innocent irritation...what's the phrase?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I was visiting my Dad this afternoon. He's a great old guy and I love him, but for the umpty-umpth time I found myself biting my tongue at his use of a phrase. He does it all the time, and I doubt if he even realizes it, because at least half of the time, if he thought about what he was saying, he would realize it didn't make sense.

His phrase is "You'd be surprised..." very often in situations where the person he's talking to wouldn't be surprised at all, and he has every reason to know that.

Innocent. Trivial. Not worth making an issue of. But after a while it gets under your skin.

So, I'm curious. What's the phrase, and who says it, that gets under YOUR skin. Or am I the only person who has this experience?
post #2 of 26
I can imagine it would get under your skin just a bit!

My Mum always used to use this phrase if my sister and I thought we'd done or said something but actually hadn't:

'You know what Thought did? Wet his pants and thought he was sweating'

Grrrr this really used to grate on both my sister and I! Mum even still tries to bring it out once in a while, but we certainly have to butt in and stop her!
post #3 of 26
My Mom uses the word "however" constantly, whether or not it seems to fit into the context in which she's using it. She puts great emphasis on the word as if to make a point that doesn't actually exist. I don't think she has any idea she does it, but it just gets all over my nerves. I want to say, please don't ever say that word again! Glad to finally get that off my chest and relieved to hear it's not just me with a seemingly trivial irritation such as this!
post #4 of 26
I hate the 'back in my day' or 'when I was your age'
post #5 of 26
Aaaaaargh Theres a guy at work who if he's telling you about something that happend at home, he'll say "do you follow?" in nearly every sentence! and i have to say " Yes!, carry on and i'll tell you if i don't!"

Others here havent got the heart to say anything and let him carry on saying it but it really gripes me, but i'll say it in a nice way!
post #6 of 26
Far too many things annoy me: I'm trying to cut down at the moment!!

But, if one of the kids at school asks me "Have you got a pen?" I always answer "Yes, thank you." And I refuse to answer "Use 'pu'er?" until they say "May I use the computer?"

Sue
post #7 of 26
Ok my boss says to me, "can I get a cup of tea?" when he is actually asking me to make the tea for him! He should say, "can I have a cup of tea?". It just really annoys me! lol
post #8 of 26
I absolutely CANNOT stand the phrase "What's up?" or "Wazzup?" Where the devil did this one come from? When kids come up with this I just want to bloody well smack 'em.

Closer to home, I think I have finally broken the husband's habit of calling people "pardner" when he's talking to them. Where he picked this up is beyond me, as we are hardly in Texas and don't have a ranch or horses or cattle .
post #9 of 26
I hate "you know what I'm saying?" If they would say something beside that, maybe someone would know what they are saying.
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by millyanddaisy
But, if one of the kids at school asks me "Have you got a pen?" I always answer "Yes, thank you."
i think thats the phrase that always annoyed me the most at school! teachers are trying to popularise saracasm as the highest form of wit imo
post #11 of 26
Its not really a phrase but one of my bosses (the idiot one that the other boss calls a moron...and he is her husband! don't even get me started on the awful dynamic)..

always says "What are WE going to do?" or "should WE be doing this?" when she means ME! She is incompetent and can't think on her own...expects me to make all the decisions and then second guesses them...

I know always answer with an emphasis on the "I"..."Well, I!! am going to"...

There are numerous other things she does that drive me batty but that is the one word that sends me round the bend...!!
post #12 of 26
I suppose one can only fight back, since, for any number of reasons it would NOT be the thing to simply say, "It REALLY bugs me when you say/do this/that".

It IS a fight, in the sense that you are being injured, even if verbally, by another person, so then, as in any fight, what would be wrong with "hitting" back ?

I see it, not as a solution to the problem, but simply as a way of telling yourself that you did what you could in an onerous situation.

By whatever means, find out what "bugs" the offending party, and lay it on so hot 'n heavy that they will avoid you, therefore sparing you from the pain and suffering of their imprecations.

The alternative to the above would be a "cathartic cleansing" by letting the other person know that it bothers you, and then when the offense recurs, you will know that they know they are bothering you and therefore care not a whit for your feelings and you will then be justified in dosing their dog with castor oil and locking it in their Beemer.

To the point of the thread, what bugs me the most are "Users" in any form, those who attempt to use me for their own selfish ends, like when merging on the interstate, the person in front of you will wait until you pull out into the lane of traffic and then they will pull out, using you for a shield against any danger that might be approaching.

I refuse to be used in such a manner, staying behind them until they pull out, after all, they are in front, so they should pull out first.

Ah, the games people play . . .

Leonard
post #13 of 26
I have a problem with people who sprinkle, "Like", and "you know" into every sentence several times and it has absolutely NO MEANING.
post #14 of 26
If I understand good this Frannie,
My Father always say me: I told you! ......
post #15 of 26
My friend always says "I was in a similar situation once..." before she gives advice on no matter what it is anyone told her. That drives me nuts!!!

I swear you could tell her that you had been kidnapped by a band of couch stealing pirate cats who kept you in a closet for 3 weeks and she would say "I was in a similar situation once..."
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_bct
My friend always says "I was in a similar situation once..." before she gives advice on no matter what it is anyone told her. That drives me nuts!!!

I swear you could tell her that you had been kidnapped by a band of couch stealing pirate cats who kept you in a closet for 3 weeks and she would say "I was in a similar situation once..."
post #17 of 26
My roommate says "and stuff like that" after almost EVERY sentence when she's telling a story!!! I go crazy when I'm sitting working on something and I hear her on the phone saying "and stuff like that" over and over and OVER!!!!! AHHHHHHHH! She knows she says it constantly too,but it's so automatic that she can't seem to help herself.
post #18 of 26
It irks me when people say "actually" in every sentence. ACTUALLY, it's very annoying! There was a very funny "Next Top Model" where they got on the girls' cases about this
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaimes
It irks me when people say "actually" in every sentence. ACTUALLY, it's very annoying! There was a very funny "Next Top Model" where they got on the girls' cases about this
I saw that episode!!!!!! I'm such a dork about that show, it's my guilty pleasure! Comes on tonight at 8!!!! WOO!
post #20 of 26
My grandmother had a lot of irritating expressions, but the one that made my mother just ballistic was "Well, the older the fiddle....". She would use that every time anybody questioned her about anything. If she couldn't explain herself, she would just shrug and say that. Mom was sure grandma had invented the expression. She'd use is about a bazillion times a day.

Then one year I found a birthday card, with a beautiful photo of a piano keyboard, with a rose across it. And on the card, it said, "You know, the older the fiddle" and inside, "The sweeter the tune....Happy Birthday".

Of course I had to buy it for my mother that year. She laughed until she had tears running down her face, gasping for air. Grandma didn't see what was so funny.
post #21 of 26
One of my brother in laws will finish a sentence "you know what I mean". We went on a cruise with tme a couple of years ago and towards the end of the cruise it was driving me nuts!!

Another one-I don't know if its a local phrase is basically someone is asking someone else a question and the end the sentence with "or no?"

Another one when my in laws where alive and they were speaking about someone's son or daughter they would not address that person by name but instead say "john Smith's son or Jane Doe's daughter. (they do have names!!) This could have been because they were much older and grew up in a rural community.
post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
Well, I'm relieved to know I'm not alone.

Interesting to hear other people's irritations -- and somewhat instructive -- keep 'em coming...
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
I have a problem with people who sprinkle, "Like", and "you know" into every sentence several times and it has absolutely NO MEANING.


People who used "basically" to open every sentence.

"He/she goes", rather than "he/she SAID".

Basically, like, I go SHUT UP!
post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katl8e


People who used "basically" to open every sentence.

"He/she goes", rather than "he/she SAID".

Basically, like, I go SHUT UP!

TeeHee
post #25 of 26
There's this guy at my Dad's allotment and he always says 'I tell a lie....I know it was Thursday because....' The stories he tells last FOREVER! Dad never manages to get any work done when this guy's there!

He is always metioning how many 'millies' of rain there has been too!

Guy, 'We had 13 millies last night, no, I tell a lie, I know it was Tuesday because I had to go shopping with the wife and we bought some new shirts for me from M&S, so it was Tuesday. We had 13 millies on Tuesday'

post #26 of 26
My darling hubby has recently picked up "beeeaaaatch" from a friend of his. He uses it completely out of context, and he says it in this strange voice that makes my skin crawl for some reason. I think he thinks he's being cool, but he's 42 years old...I finally asked him to refrain from using it when I'm around.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Innocent irritation...what's the phrase?