TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Hypocricy in Spokane
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hypocricy in Spokane

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...+Spokane+Mayor
The kindest thing that I can say about this type of hypocricy is:
What are y'alls thoughs?
post #2 of 23
Goodness gracious. Those are certainly some hefty allegations! If all turns out to be fact that is truly disgusting.
post #3 of 23
From the article: "West, a 54-year-old former Republican state Senate leader and staunch opponent of gay rights, last week denied the decades-old molestation allegations, but subsequently acknowledged that he had visited the gay online chat room and had relations with adult men."

I'd say that's hypocrisy at its best! Not to mention abuse of office, if the allegations are true.
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
IMO, many of the people who are so outspokenly opposed to gay rights and homosexuality in general are so outspoken because they are trying to deflect attention from their own sexual preferences. This mayor is the perfect example of my theory. He has wasted so much breath espousing on the immorality of homosexuality, yet he himself has had relations with men!
If he had never spoken out so vehemently against gay rights, I'd have no problem at all with him being gay. But this is just hypocricy in its worst form . Who knows what could have been done to aid the Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Transgendered community in Spokane had he just embraced who he is???
post #5 of 23
I wont touch too deep on this issue but I live in Washington State and am embarrased for Spokanians. He is taking a few weeks off to gather his thoughts. I can't believe that he doesn't just resign.
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknleah
I wont touch too deep on this issue but I live in Washington State and am embarrased for Spokanians. He is taking a few weeks off to gather his thoughts. I can't believe that he doesn't just resign.
I agree. He should get his butt out of office. If he was being this hypocritical on something like this, who knows what else he has been deceiving the people of Spokane about???
post #7 of 23
Do you people remember Jeff Gannon, the suspected Republican plant in the news media and who have written anti-gay articles during the election? Turns out that he has his own gay porn site and also offered his sexual services as a gay prostitute.
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpy
Do you people remember Jeff Gannon, the suspected Republican plant in the news media and who have written anti-gay articles during the election? Turns out that he has his own gay porn site and also offered his sexual services as a gay prostitute.
Illustrates my point yet again!!!
post #9 of 23
It's amazing the things internalized homophobia can do to a person.

I suppose the 18 year old nonexistant boy was 18 and that is legal age, but who knows if the other allegations of molestation are true. Obviously trying to have an affair with a high school student is wrong, but hopefully 18 is as young as he went.
post #10 of 23
I can't believe we are living in the year 2005 and things like that are still happening.
post #11 of 23
I feel for Spokane and am surrounded by this scandel since i work in spokane... but a co worker said hed been investigated many times and nothing could be stuck to him
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpy
Do you people remember Jeff Gannon, the suspected Republican plant in the news media and who have written anti-gay articles during the election? Turns out that he has his own gay porn site and also offered his sexual services as a gay prostitute.
I think that is hilarious!
post #13 of 23
He abused his power. He used his office to offer jobs to men he met online. He should be kicked out because of that.
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by esrgirl
It's amazing the things internalized homophobia can do to a person.
From what I assume, internalized homophobia means that you are keeping your fear and/or dislike of homosexuality to yourself. I think he (and a lot of politicians probably) is externally homophobic as a way to deny to himself who he truly is... that's just MHO anyway.....
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaimes
From what I assume, internalized homophobia means that you are keeping your fear and/or dislike of homosexuality to yourself. I think he (and a lot of politicians probably) is externally homophobic as a way to deny to himself who he truly is... that's just MHO anyway.....
Internalized homophobia, is self hate for being homosexual, sometimes consciously sometimes unconsciously. The person, besides "acting in" this hate also may act out and decry homosexuality as a sin and the people who engage in homosexual acts as sinners and loathsome individuals.
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz
Internalized homophobia, is self hate for being homosexual, sometimes consciously sometimes unconsciously. The person, besides "acting in" this hate also may act out and decry homosexuality as a sin and the people who engage in homosexual acts as sinners and loathsome individuals.
Ohhh.....my bad Thanks for setting me straight (no pun intended). I didn't mean any offense to anyone with my armchair psychologist gues-definition!!!
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaimes
Ohhh.....my bad Thanks for setting me straight (no pun intended). I didn't mean any offense to anyone with my armchair psychologist gues-definition!!!
Oh don't say that...you'd make a great psychologist, thoughtful and caring!
post #18 of 23
To call someone who has an objection to homosexuality "homophobic" is attacking the objector with the tarbrush of mental illness.

To extrapolate this action, one who voices an objection to getting shot in the head could then be dismissed as being "headshotphobic", and therefore little concern or value should be assigned his/her opinions.

To get to the real heart of any discussion, one must be constantly on the lookout for, and be able to properly sift through, all the "spin" put out by the "loyal opposition".

I don't like broccoli, but methinks I am not "broccoliphobic".

Leonard.
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by winwin
To call someone who has an objection to homosexuality "homophobic" is attacking the objector with the tarbrush of mental illness.

To extrapolate this action, one who voices an objection to getting shot in the head could then be dismissed as being "headshotphobic", and therefore little concern or value should be assigned his/her opinions.

To get to the real heart of any discussion, one must be constantly on the lookout for, and be able to properly sift through, all the "spin" put out by the "loyal opposition".

I don't like broccoli, but methinks I am not "broccoliphobic".

Leonard.
I think I see the point that you're trying to make, however I kinda think of it this way...

-phobia = a persistent/irrational fear of something that is otherwise widely held as not dangerous.

So while very few people like the concept of being shot in the head, this doesn't mean that the majority of folks would fit into the label of "headshotphobic". They don't have an irrational fear, rather simply a preference against being shot in the head.

Same with yourself and broccoli. You aren't irrationally scared of broccoli, the mere sight/presense/thought of broccoli doesn't make you nervous or uncomfortable, rather you simply do not like broccoli.

Simply stated, a phobia is an irrational fear of something, not just a generalized dislike or preference against something. A person that simply does not like something, is not automatically something-phobic. A person that is irrationally terrified of something, is something-phobic.

Just my thoughts here....and back on topic, yes quite a hipocritical stance, he should step down.

Spotz
post #20 of 23
Good points, Spotz, but that I resent, do not like, am disgusted by, and all other categories of description of being viewed as a potential sexual object by the same sex is not necessarily irrational, at least not to me, and I would think, not to most people, either, whereas being viewed in the same manner by the opposite sex would be interesting, to say the least, and exhilirating in the extreme.

My views -- interesting topic . . .

Leonard
post #21 of 23
You crammed a lot into that first sentence ...

Understanding that you prefer heteroseuxal relationships, are you afraid that allowing or tolerating the existance of homosexuality is inherently dangerous? Unless you can answer yes to this question, then you wouldn't fit into the category of homophobic, regardless of your opinion/rationalization of why you resent/dislike/are disgusted by/etc homosexuality.

I would have to agree that West was/is homophobic, regardless of his admitted past actions, he is still totally afraid of the dangers that homosexuality would pose if it was more tolerated in society. The thought that tolerating homosexuality would somehow increase the dangers posed by homosexuality is irrational. He irrationally fears that tolerating homosexuality is dangerous, thus he is by the very definition a Homophobe.

The dangers of homosexuality are no different than the dangers of heterosexuality, fearing one over the other is irrational. Having a preference is different than fear.
Forcing a preference on others is wrong, In a country founded on the idea of tolerance, forcing a preference is quite intolerant, especially when done in such a hipocritical fashion.

Spotz
post #22 of 23
A lot of people confuse the term "heterosexism" with "homophobia." True, not liking someone because they are gay, but not fearing them would not be homophobia, but it would be defined as heterosexism.
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by esrgirl
A lot of people confuse the term "heterosexism" with "homophobia." True, not liking someone because they are gay, but not fearing them would not be homophobia, but it would be defined as heterosexism.
I did not know the term for it, thanks!

Learn Something new every day,

Spotz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Hypocricy in Spokane