TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › when can dad see the babies?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

when can dad see the babies?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
My cat had her first litter this morning, all the babies are doing fine. I think I read somewhere that the father should not be around them because he will kill them. Is this true?
And when can we let the father interact with the babies, and introduce the dog also?

Thank you for any help you can give me
post #2 of 19
It totally depends on the male ... I have seen males bond quite closely with their own kittens, nurturing and grooming them and I have seen males who thought nothing of attacking their own kittens viciously. It is probably best not to let your male interact with the kittens at all at this point and absolutely do not introduce the dog yet either. Your female may not want anyone to be interacting yet and will most likely be quite protective of her babies for a while - most females get very anxious and upset at any perceived threat.
post #3 of 19
Is the father now fixed? It would make alot easier to introduce them if the father cat is fixed!
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
No he is not fixed yet, but I will call the vet tomorrow about getting that done. Thank you for the tip
post #5 of 19
My kittens are 4 weeks old now and I still wont let the father around them because he is a sneeky siamese. he has never scratched my daughter but, I know he would attack his own.
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahi_Mashi
My kittens are 4 weeks old now and I still wont let the father around them because he is a sneeky siamese. he has never scratched my daughter but, I know he would attack his own.
Aw what a horrid thing to say about your Siamese. Siamese are not any more sneaky than other kitties. Bijou's breeder says the mom cat, grandmother cat and father cat are all taking turns looking after 7 kittens. Then again, her animals are so beatifully tempered as proven by our Bijou and Mika.
post #7 of 19
I kind of have to agree with Yosemite ... I think Siamese get a bad rap when it comes to people thinking they are mean or sneaky. Both of my cats are quite loving - Lexus is the official greeter of my home and LOVES everyone - she loves the mailcarrier, she loves the UPS guy, she loves the trashpickup people, she loves my appliance repair man, she loves the robbers coming into our home to steal us blind LOL
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayef
I kind of have to agree with Yosemite ... I think Siamese get a bad rap when it comes to people thinking they are mean or sneaky. Both of my cats are quite loving - Lexus is the official greeter of my home and LOVES everyone - she loves the mailcarrier, she loves the UPS guy, she loves the trashpickup people, she loves my appliance repair man, she loves the robbers coming into our home to steal us blind LOL
I ask you Gaye, what do we Siamese lovers have to do to get these folks to understand what special, unique, caring, loving, friendly and all-round wonderful cats these Siamese are!

Bijou has turned my "not a cat person husband" into a "crazy about Siamese cats husband". He is constantly making some comment about how wonderful Bijou and Mika are. He sure never did this with any other cat we've had.

Three cheers for the Siamese species!

Yes, Mika and Bijou greet everyone who comes to our door - up close and personal! Bijou followed the satellite TV guy all over the house when he was running cable. The guy thought it was awesome and took considerable time getting the job done (thank goodness we weren't paying by the hour) since he had to keep stopping and holding and petting Bijou.
post #9 of 19
Ok maybe you misunderstood me and I'm hoping that Ive misunderstood you as well. My cat is a friendly and wonderfully "tempered" as you put it. And I love him to death. He is a lover. And will rub up against anyone that comes to my house. I think that was a slight bit rude on your part to imply that I have an ill tempered cat. When you are reading words you are at a disadvantage because you can not hear tone. Sneeky was not meant to be equivilent to anything that would exclud friendly, loving, wonderful, sweet, ect.
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahi_Mashi
Ok maybe you misunderstood me and I'm hoping that Ive misunderstood you as well. My cat is a friendly and wonderfully "tempered" as you put it. And I love him to death. He is a lover. And will rub up against anyone that comes to my house. I think that was a slight bit rude on your part to imply that I have an ill tempered cat. When you are reading words you are at a disadvantage because you can not hear tone. Sneeky was not meant to be equivilent to anything that would exclud friendly, loving, wonderful, sweet, ect.
I did not mean to imply that YOU had an ill-tempered cat!

My comments are coming from a serious Siamese lover (me) who thinks Siamese cats are often getting a bad rep. They are often portrayed as mean and evil cats and I want to be one of those out there that are going to put an end to this myth.

I'm sure you love your cat dearly - I just cringe when I see or hear them referred to in any negative connotation - like "sneaky". Hope this clears this up and please don't take offense. I'm just a Siamese Cat NUT!

I love my meezers so so much.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahi_Mashi
Ok maybe you misunderstood me and I'm hoping that Ive misunderstood you as well. My cat is a friendly and wonderfully "tempered" as you put it. And I love him to death. He is a lover. And will rub up against anyone that comes to my house. I think that was a slight bit rude on your part to imply that I have an ill tempered cat. When you are reading words you are at a disadvantage because you can not hear tone. Sneeky was not meant to be equivilent to anything that would exclud friendly, loving, wonderful, sweet, ect.
Speaking for both Yosemite (I knew you wouldn't mind if I did!) and myself, neither of us were in any way implying that YOUR cats were ill tempered. What we were both saying is that we hear SO many people say things like, "Oh you have a Siamese cat!! I've heard they are MEAN!" and as you know from having Siamese in your home as well that they AREN'T mean at all!

Sorry you misunderstood - and you are 100% absolutely correct when you say that the written word leaves a lot to be desired - it frustrates the living crud out of me when I can't hear a person's tone.
post #12 of 19
I just have to get in on what you just said Gaye. When we first got Bijou we had him outside on his harness and leash and the little girl and her brother from next door came to visit when they saw him. (We had just moved here a few months before and didn't really know anyone in the neighbourhood.)

Anyway when the little girl asked what kind of cat Bijou was, I said he was a Siamese. This little girl said, "My mom says Siamese cats are mean and nasty and that they will destroy your house". My first instinct was to rip the tongue out of her head!


Then I told her that was not true as she could see from Bijou he was very gentle and affectionate and that he hasn't damaged anything in our house. I said that Siamese cats get a bad reputation and it is too bad because they are really wonderful animals.

I don't know if I managed to change her mind at all, but I sure hope so and that when she gets older, she will educate her mother!

So we need folks like you with a wonderful Siamese to help us speak out for them and dispel this myth! Yeah, meezers, yeah!
post #13 of 19
A mean siamese>>?? wow never would think that i grew up witha seal pt and had a snoeshoe the only mean cat is my sister a dlh calico
post #14 of 19
Sharky - can I just say - I love you!
post #15 of 19
Maybe the bad rap comes from Disney's "Lady & the Tramp" I think those Siamese were pretty mean. (Kind of like stepsisters.)

My mom had a good story. She used to have a breeding pair of what we would now call the "old style" Siamese. The male was the most loving, sweet cat I've ever met. Apparently, they had been told to, "keep the male away from the kittens at all cost" and they had the kittens in a box. The male, Thor, got on top of the box and fell through. Everyone was in a panic, but Thor was having a ball! He just loved those little kittens, just like he loved everyone else he ever came into contact with! LOL!
-Kim
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta
Maybe the bad rap comes from Disney's "Lady & the Tramp" I think those Siamese were pretty mean. (Kind of like stepsisters.)

My mom had a good story. She used to have a breeding pair of what we would now call the "old style" Siamese. The male was the most loving, sweet cat I've ever met. Apparently, they had been told to, "keep the male away from the kittens at all cost" and they had the kittens in a box. The male, Thor, got on top of the box and fell through. Everyone was in a panic, but Thor was having a ball! He just loved those little kittens, just like he loved everyone else he ever came into contact with! LOL!
-Kim
Stories like this just warm my heart!

I had a Sealpoint Siamese female whom I had had for 10 years before our daughter was born and everyone was telling me I would have to get rid of the cat - she would hurt the baby and be jealous, etc., etc., etc.

I refused as she was a big part of my life and we had a special bond. Well, needless to say, she sat on my lap while I breastfed our daughter and she was so gentle with the baby it would make you cry. Our daughter's first word was not Mom or Dad - it was Seesuz (Susie) for the cat.

To get this thread back on track, it appears as though you have to judge the temperament of your own daddy cat and maybe allow supervised visitation. He may surprise you and be a great "kitty-sitter" just like our breeder's male.

At any rate, enjoy those kitties and post some pictures - we'd love to see them.
post #17 of 19
My NFC Ivan. Or Uncle Ivan as we call him loves his nieces and nephews. He has had contacat with them since they were born. He cleaned them and tried to nurse them. LOL. And to this day they adore him. It all depends on the cat. My female NFC takes turns with my female Birman nursing the birman babies because all the NFC kittens aren't nursing anymore. It is just one happy family. I would take it slow and see how mom reacts to daddy being there and how he reacts to the babies.
post #18 of 19
You might want to introduce the male to the kittens with you close by with constant supervision and see how he reacts. Our family bred Siamese for years and we never had issues with the fathers hurting any of the kittens.

It just depends on the personality of the cat...we have had jealous females more than we have had mean males...of any breed.
post #19 of 19
well my cat had kittens 7 weeks ago and the father has been very helpful since day one.Hes a really sweet cat. He licks them and plays with them gently because he knows they are just babies.It really just depends on the cat.Good Luck!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › when can dad see the babies?