TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Help with Steam Cleaners, please!??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with Steam Cleaners, please!??

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I have been thinking about buying a steam cleaner for carpets and upholstery, as I rent property. I also think it would be an advantage when trying to persuade people to let me (and my kits) rent their property!

As I have a limited budget, I have found one in Index (as they are closing down near me and I can get one cheaper)

I am looking at the Dirt Devil DD4200. Has anyone tried this or have any advice about which stam cleaner is best? I have tried to find a review on them, but haven't found anything

Also, when you use a steam cleaner, where does the dirt go??

I'd appreciate any information or advice! Thank you, all, in advance!
post #2 of 17
I have been wanting to buy one also,
WHen i worked in a restaurant, my boss ended up buying the one that you see on those Selling tv shows.
But i still dont know where the dirt goes...
post #3 of 17
I have a Dirt Devil steam cleaner, not sure which model, but it works great! WHere does the dirt go? The part that has the brushes on it, like the part on a vacuum that sucks up the dirt. On a steam cleaner, it is empty, and the dirty water is sucked up into it. Then you just empty and rinse it.
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
It's odd really, hey! Does the dirt just vanish??!!

I think I am going to buy this one this afternoon - sometime - i'll try it and let you know what it's like (and i'll try to find out where the dirt goes! )

It seems good and gets rid of pet odours - so it sounds alright! Plus, it's cheap!
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren.1
I have a Dirt Devil steam cleaner, not sure which model, but it works great! WHere does the dirt go? The part that has the brushes on it, like the part on a vacuum that sucks up the dirt. On a steam cleaner, it is empty, and the dirty water is sucked up into it. Then you just empty and rinse it.
Ah! Thank you! Dirt Devil is usually good with cleaners and getting a good review of one (thank you!) makes it even better! I am going to buy it and give it a go! I don't think i'll be able to find anything that is at such a good price!
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Steam cleaning is great!

I have come back from buying the above steam cleaner and I have tried it out on a scabby piece of carpet that I found downstairs (in the bin ) It is fantastic! It gets rid of even really quite stubborn stains and makes the carpet all fluffy again!

Thank you Bren for your input! I am a steam cleaning convert!
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar
Steam cleaning is great!

I have come back from buying the above steam cleaner and I have tried it out on a scabby piece of carpet that I found downstairs (in the bin ) It is fantastic! It gets rid of even really quite stubborn stains and makes the carpet all fluffy again!

Thank you Bren for your input! I am a steam cleaning convert!

thats it im inspired to get one now
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan

thats it im inspired to get one now
I am glad that I could be of help for you! I am also pleased that it worked as I just read that if I wasn't happy, I couldn't take it back (due to closure!)

But yeah, it's soooooooo good! It's small and you can even use it to clean grout, ovens, hard floors, kitchen counters, cars, pavements etc! I am so pleased with it!
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar
I am glad that I could be of help for you! I am also pleased that it worked as I just read that if I wasn't happy, I couldn't take it back (due to closure!)

But yeah, it's soooooooo good! It's small and you can even use it to clean grout, ovens, hard floors, kitchen counters, cars, pavements etc! I am so pleased with it!
ooooo, well the cars and ovens would be great, the floors well... its plastic lol!

actually does it stay wet the carpet?
or does it dry instantly?
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan
ooooo, well the cars and ovens would be great, the floors well... its plastic lol!

actually does it stay wet the carpet?
or does it dry instantly?
It works on the lino in my kitchen! I should really have put the fabric attachment onto it, but the brush worked fine (I didn't actually mean to get the lino! )

The carpet doesn't really get that wet (and I was rubbing over the same spot for ages) It is just quite damp. My sample has dried pretty quickly, so it is better than a carpet shampooing thing as they stay wet for ages!

I think it would really depend on how fluffy the carpet is. The stuff here is quite short so it is able to dry quicker!
post #11 of 17
Where does the dirt go? Generally it is picked up by the cloth attachment over the brush(es). I have a Kärcher (large) that I clean everything with. You don't have to buy the expensive cloth covers for the brushes - just save old washcloths and hand towels. One thing to be careful about - descaling on a regular basis, if you don't use distilled water (I do, because I have an unvented tumble dryer that collects the distilled water).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar
It's small and you can even use it to clean grout, ovens, hard floors, kitchen counters, cars, pavements etc! I am so pleased with it!
It's great for defrosting freezers, washing windows, and cleaning litter boxes, too.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat
It's great for defrosting freezers, washing windows, and cleaning litter boxes, too.
you've just made me love my steam cleaner EVEN MORE!!
I am definitely going to try defrosting the freezer and cleaning the trays! I didn't even think of those! Thank you!

How do you descale? It doesn't mention anything about that in the product manual!
post #13 of 17
My manual recommends using the tablets for coffeemakers, or a mixture of vinegar and water in the tank, heating up the steam cleaner for a good ten to fifteen minutes, and then rinsing the tank thoroughly with water.
post #14 of 17
I looked up the model you mentioned in your original post. I didn't know you could use that type to clean carpet. I just assumed you needed one of those upright models that sprays liquid onto the carpet and sucks the water back into the unit.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat
My manual recommends using the tablets for coffeemakers, or a mixture of vinegar and water in the tank, heating up the steam cleaner for a good ten to fifteen minutes, and then rinsing the tank thoroughly with water.
Thank you Tricia! I will write that down in my manual and make sure I do that! It's funny how it didn't tell me!

Miss Charlotte, yes it does clean carpets and practically everything else! It is brilliant and very good on the pocket! The upright ones that put the shampoo out and suck it back in are a lot more expensive! The model I have is one that just steam cleans and makes the carpet fresh and clean again as opposed to putting shampoo and products onto the fabric!
post #16 of 17
I've been wanting one of those for ages... I tried to talk my hubby into getting one with some of our "gift money" from our wedding last year. He doesn't think we'd use it

Then again, he is the floor Czar. If it's a surface you walk on (be it grass, driveway, or carpet), it's his job!
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooz123
I've been wanting one of those for ages... I tried to talk my hubby into getting one with some of our "gift money" from our wedding last year. He doesn't think we'd use it

Then again, he is the floor Czar. If it's a surface you walk on (be it grass, driveway, or carpet), it's his job!
This will certainly do the jobs for him then! Tell him that you'd like to get one so that you can spend more relaxing time together! Should work and you will actually get time to spend together!! (either that or you can do it yourself, it is SO much fun! )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Help with Steam Cleaners, please!??