TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Yougurt ?!?!?!?!?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yougurt ?!?!?!?!?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I have a pregnant cat that has not been feeling well.
When she sees me eating yougurt she licks her lips and gets all excited!!! Should I give her some? Is it safe?
Thanks

post #2 of 15
I have heard a small amout of the plain is fine..
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
I have heard a small amout of the plain is fine..

oh ok ... well all i have is flavored.
Like strawberry and pina colada
i will have to spoil her and go get her some plain....

thanks
post #4 of 15
Yogurt is good for digestive upsets (It is like a natural probiotic - maybe an oxymoron given that probiotics are a natural way to ensure the usual and good bacteria in the stomach are kmaintained).
post #5 of 15
I just wanted to clarify that not all yogurts have probiotics. Make sure they have "active culture" or some derivative of acidophilus, casei, reuteri, or bifidus in the ingredients. Cats can digest yogurt easier than milk because the enzymes required to break down the lactose are present in the yogurt. This helps the cat digest it.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy
I just wanted to clarify that not all yogurts have probiotics. Make sure they have "active culture" or some derivative of acidophilus, casei, reuteri, or bifidus in the ingredients. Cats can digest yogurt easier than milk because the enzymes required to break down the lactose are present in the yogurt. This helps the cat digest it.


Thanks to everyone for all of your GREAT advice!!!!!

Also... I have a new kitten that is just getting over COCCIDIA.... is it ok for him too? His stool is still a little soft but he is much much better than before!!!! If it is ok for him how much is too much?
Actually how much is too much for both of them????
post #7 of 15
I prefer to give an acidophilus supplement, not yogurt. The one that I use is human supplement made by Webber Naturals.
http://www.zooscape.com/cgi-bin/mait...n/questp100025
It is a non-dairy supplement. The pills are in little capsules that I break apart and sprinkle on their food. I'm not sure what it tastes like, but it's not horrible. They will also take it if I mix it in about a tablespoon of water. They lap it up happily.

I usually give them each half a capsule. There is no risk of giving them too much. If you can't find that brand, look for something similar...they are fairly common in drugstores.

Probiotics are especially important during antibiotic administration. Make sure that you allow at least 3 hours before or after the meds to give the probiotic. Otherwise, the antibiotic will kill the probiotic as well...making your efforts useless.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy
I prefer to give an acidophilus supplement, not yogurt. The one that I use is human supplement made by Webber Naturals.
http://www.zooscape.com/cgi-bin/mait...n/questp100025
It is a non-dairy supplement. The pills are in little capsules that I break apart and sprinkle on their food. I'm not sure what it tastes like, but it's not horrible. They will also take it if I mix it in about a tablespoon of water. They lap it up happily.

I usually give them each half a capsule. There is no risk of giving them too much. If you can't find that brand, look for something similar...they are fairly common in drugstores.

Probiotics are especially important during antibiotic administration. Make sure that you allow at least 3 hours before or after the meds to give the probiotic. Otherwise, the antibiotic will kill the probiotic as well...making your efforts useless.
I agree, mine get one capsule every other day... it must taste good since the cats think it is a treat
post #9 of 15
I had been giving plain yogourt with active culture to my kittens who have had diarrhea for weeks, and the vet just told me that this might have been the reason why it won't go away. The lactose in the yogourt is bad for a sick cat, it seems. So they are gonna give me some of those probiotics. I keep my fingers crossed for it to work!!
post #10 of 15
oh yeah, yogurt is fine for cats. Ive been feeding elliot and aerowyn yogurt forever. We eat alot of yogurt at my house, and elliot ALWAYS needs to have some of my yogurt. He likes the yogurt "whipped" too :P Theres nothing wrong with giving your cat yogurt. ^_^ My cats eat all flavors, orange, strawberry, peach, ras pberry, blueberry. Elliot likes strawberry banana the best.
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrangeMenace
oh yeah, yogurt is fine for cats. Ive been feeding elliot and aerowyn yogurt forever. We eat alot of yogurt at my house, and elliot ALWAYS needs to have some of my yogurt. He likes the yogurt "whipped" too :P Theres nothing wrong with giving your cat yogurt. ^_^ My cats eat all flavors, orange, strawberry, peach, ras pberry, blueberry. Elliot likes strawberry banana the best.

LOL.. that sounds like all of the flavors my cats WANT to try!!

Thanks!
post #12 of 15
Late in seeing this thread, I would personally not feed anything flavored with sugars or artificial flavors/colorings - plain yogurt with active cultures is what works best re any intestinal upset. For a cat recovering from coccidia, I'd use a product such as Benebac - a good source is info and/or to purchase

hth!
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thank you also for your advice!! It was very helpful.
post #14 of 15
i just wanted to say i love the pic!
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ
i just wanted to say i love the pic!

hehe.. thank you!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Yougurt ?!?!?!?!?