or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Misinterpreted Lyrics Dot Com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Misinterpreted Lyrics Dot Com

post #1 of 178
Thread Starter 
So... how many of you have really bad hearing when it comes to song lyrics. I prefer to have printed lyrics available whenver I like a song. Otherwise, my brain often hears totally different words. In my defense, there's nothing wrong with my hearing. I used to get it checked every year when I worked in construction and always passed with flying colors.

Think back on any old (or new) songs where you thought the lyrics said something different for quite a while before you discovered what they really were. Then post an embarrassment rating from one to five anon bags. Most of the songs lyrics I misinterpreted were songs that I heard on MuchMusic, with friends or on the radio, where I never had the albums to check and see what they were. I'll start with one:

Band: Soundgarden
Song: Rusty Cage

What I thought the lyrics were:
I'm gonna bring my, I'm gonna bring my, I'm gonna bring my rusty cage..... and run!

What the real lyrics are:
I'm gonna break my, I'm gonna break my, I'm gonna break my rusty cage..... and run!

Rating: out of five bags. Why would someone "bring" a rusty cage with themselves anywhere? I should have caught on that it was "break". -definitely makes more sense. I think it was quite a long time before I found out that the word was "break" not "bring"

Go ahead... Tell us about your misinterpreted song lyrics.
post #2 of 178
I'm bad.

This is an old song, I don't know who it's by.


What I thought the lyrics were:
Secret Asian Man

What the real lyrics are:
Secret Agent Man
post #3 of 178
Old Paul McCartney song - Band on The Run. My sister (younger) would belt out "Man has The Runs"
post #4 of 178
Kelly
post #5 of 178
Thread Starter 
Chris and Kelly... nice interpretations! I'm going to be singing them like that from now on!
post #6 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by captiva
Kelly
I always wondered why the asian man was "secret". What was so special about him anyway? (this was only about 5 years ago)
post #7 of 178
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyyfaber
I always wondered why the asian man was "secret". What was so special about him anyway? (this was only about 5 years ago)
LOL!!! that's funny!
post #8 of 178
My friend told me about this one he used to sing:

Steve Miller Band: Jungle Love

Real lyrics:
"Jungle love, it's driving me mad; it's making me crazy...."

What he thought it said:
"Jump on up to Strawberry Land; it's making me crazy..."

I actually have a couple of books that tell misheard song lyrics. They're hysterical!
post #9 of 178
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb25
My friend told me about this one he used to sing:

Steve Miller Band: Jungle Love

Real lyrics:
"Jungle love, it's driving me mad; it's making me crazy...."

What he thought it said:
"Jump on up to Strawberry Land; it's making me crazy..."

I actually have a couple of books that tell misheard song lyrics. They're hysterical!
That's hilarious! I give that out of five bags!

How about this:

Artist: Enya
Song: Sail Away

What I thought the lyrics were:
Save the wales, save the wales save the wales

What the real lyrics are:
Sail away, sail away, sail away
post #10 of 178
I'm still not sure if the old song went "forever in blue jeans" or "for Reverend Blue Jeans".

I have the same problem which I call "dyslexia" of the ears.
post #11 of 178
Well, this isnt exactly misinterpreted lyrics, it is more like misinterpreted song...

in high school one of my friends though that the rap song Air Force Ones by Nelly, was about falling in love with a girl in the Air Force...

you know, now that i have written it down, it doenst look so funny, but i will tell you guys anyway

but at the time she told me, it was hilarious

*considering the song is actually about the shoes Nike makes called Air Force 1's
post #12 of 178
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady
I'm still not sure if the old song went "forever in blue jeans" or "for Reverend Blue Jeans".

I have the same problem which I call "dyslexia" of the ears.
Oh come on... everyone knows it's "Reverend blue jeans"

Okay, it's the Neil Diamond song "Forever in Blue Jeans" I'd give that around and ½ bags.
post #13 of 178
My boyfriend knew a guy who thought a lyric in Sober (TOOL) was "Jesus was a f*ing missile...". The real lyric is "Jesus, won't you f*ing whistle, something but the past and done?"
I can't hear the song anymore w/out laughing because I hear the wrong lyric.

I try not to decide what lyrics are until I either listen to the album w/ headphones or go look up the lyrics. lol Even then it's hard to tell what the heck they're singing. Some singers have such bad diction! Why can't they just sing the way they speak? You can understand them when they do interviews or talk to the audience, so why can't you understand them when they sing? lol
post #14 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe
That's hilarious! I give that out of five bags!

How about this:

Artist: Enya
Song: Sail Away

What I thought the lyrics were:
Save the wales, save the wales save the wales

What the real lyrics are:
Sail away, sail away, sail away
Oh! That is brilliant!!
post #15 of 178
Band: Soundgarden
Song: Rusty Cage

What I thought the lyrics were:
I'm gonna bring my, I'm gonna bring my, I'm gonna bring my rusty cage..... and run!

What the real lyrics are:
I'm gonna break my, I'm gonna break my, I'm gonna break my rusty cage..... and run!

Rating: out of five bags. Why would someone "bring" a rusty cage with themselves anywhere? I should have caught on that it was "break". -definitely makes more sense. I think it was quite a long time before I found out that the word was "break" not "bring"

Hey Ryan, if you have the Jonnhy Cash version of the song (Unchained CD) you can tell what the lyrics are

Great thread by the way
post #16 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe'n'MissKitty
My boyfriend knew a guy who thought a lyric in Sober (TOOL) was "Jesus was a f*ing missile...". The real lyric is "Jesus, won't you f*ing whistle, something but the past and done?"
I can't hear the song anymore w/out laughing because I hear the wrong lyric.


That's too funny! TOOL rocks
post #17 of 178
Love the thread, Ryan! I rarely ever miss the lyrics now, because I've made a habit for years of listening to them just in case I need to learn to play and sing them by ear, instead of finding the music for them! But before I trained myself to listen that hard to them, I had a problem with "On the Road Again", by Willie Nelson....

What the words were.....
"The life I love is making music with my friends"

What I THOUGHT they were.....(and this was before I got so dirty minded, mind you)
"The WIFE I love is making music with my friends"

Oh, and it took me years to figure out George Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today" it was a looooong time before I figured out that it was because he died!!
post #18 of 178
Band: Pearl Jam
Song: Black

The real lyrics are:

Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
Were laid spread out before me...

What I thought the lyrics were: Well let's just say that I thought "were laid spread out before me" was something different. If you think about it, you'll get it.
post #19 of 178
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BlackCats
Hey Ryan, if you have the Jonnhy Cash version of the song (Unchained CD) you can tell what the lyrics are

Great thread by the way
Now I can recall where I found out the real lyrics. I was watching some interview with Johny Cash and he was talking about covering that song, so they also played his version. Then I realized it was "break"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy
Love the thread, Ryan! I rarely ever miss the lyrics now, because I've made a habit for years of listening to them just in case I need to learn to play and sing them by ear, instead of finding the music for them! But before I trained myself to listen that hard to them, I had a problem with "On the Road Again", by Willie Nelson....

What the words were.....
"The life I love is making music with my friends"

What I THOUGHT they were.....(and this was before I got so dirty minded, mind you)
"The WIFE I love is making music with my friends"

Oh, and it took me years to figure out George Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today" it was a looooong time before I figured out that it was because he died!!
Nice Cindy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyyfaber
Band: Pearl Jam
Song: Black

The real lyrics are:

Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
Were laid spread out before me...

What I thought the lyrics were: Well let's just say that I thought "were laid spread out before me" was something different. If you think about it, you'll get it.
Let's see... "Her legs spread out before me."?
post #20 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe
! Let's see... "Her legs spread out before me."?





post #21 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyyfaber
I'm bad.

This is an old song, I don't know who it's by.


What I thought the lyrics were:
Secret Asian Man

What the real lyrics are:
Secret Agent Man
post #22 of 178
Oh... my, my, my!!!
post #23 of 178
Actually, me and hubby like to make up our own lyrics to songs that we dont like and they can be really crude lyrics, to say the least.

But what is the funniest is when Mike makes up crude lyrics and "sings them out loud" in a store or something That's when I try to walk away from him.
post #24 of 178
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyyfaber
No, you're wrong. If that's what you thought it was then I'd rate it at least and ¾ bags... maybe five, not just one!
post #25 of 178
Or in that one song by Jimi Hendrix where he goes exscuse me while I kiss the sky... And it is being heard as exscuse me while I kiss these guys....
post #26 of 178
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BlackCats
Actually, me and hubby like to make up our own lyrics to songs that we dont like and they can be really crude lyrics, to say the least.

But what is the funniest is when Mike makes up crude lyrics and "sings them out loud" in a store or something That's when I try to walk away from him.
Oh yeah... no kidding. I do the same thing too. That would be a totally different thread though and I'd get booted into the next millenium for sure!
post #27 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe
Oh yeah... no kidding. I do the same thing too. That would be a totally different thread though and I'd get booted into the next millenium for sure!
Okay, we won't go there then
post #28 of 178
Ryan, I love this thread! It's got me laughing so hard. I'm gonna already rate it a ***** star.
post #29 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra
Or in that one song by Jimi Hendrix where he goes exscuse me while I kiss the sky... And it is being heard as exscuse me while I kiss these guys....
Good one, I'd never heard that before Sandra
post #30 of 178
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra
Or in that one song by Jimi Hendrix where he goes exscuse me while I kiss the sky... And it is being heard as exscuse me while I kiss these guys....
LOL! Yeah! To me it always sounded like " 'scuse me while I kiss this guy." That's probably one of the most famous ones. Didn't he always point at the sky when he performed that one?

Another famous one that comes to mind is: "blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche... blah blah runner in the night." I'ts supposed to be deuce, but it just doesn't sound like that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Misinterpreted Lyrics Dot Com