TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I'm volunteering at a cat adoption place..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm volunteering at a cat adoption place..

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
so I'm in the local PetSmart getting some litter and food and stuff, and I stop by the Adoption area in the back, where they have a few cages holding cats in need of adoption. Most are abandoned house pets, so they are plenty friendly, and paw at the glass as people walk by. (I guess they avoid putting the real psycho kitties out on display or something...)

Anyway, this time there was a sign that they were looking for volunteers to help with cleaning the cages, socializing the animals, etc... I had a moment of soft-heartedness, and signed up to come in after work one day a week.

Now, it turns out that the cleaning and feeding is mostly done in the morning, so all that will really be left by the time I get there is socializing the little beasts.

In other words, I've just volunteered to pet and play with friendly adoption cats.

boy... this is going to be tough. ;-)
post #2 of 17
I want to do that so bad!!! The only thing is that I would try to take home all of them. I am just a big softie, and every time I go there, every single one of them makes my heart melt!
post #3 of 17
My sinceres congratulations Brian, I really hope in Mérida exist some place like that to work in there like you..

Hope you can take pic´s of the sweet boy and Girls on the Shelter to meet they!!!

Good Luck!
post #4 of 17
oh how fun! i too would want to take all of them home! but then again my husband has banned from bringing home anymore
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ
I want to do that so bad!!! The only thing is that I would try to take home all of them. I am just a big softie, and every time I go there, every single one of them makes my heart melt!
My wife's already warned me not to come home with meowing pockets. ;-)
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlojeck
so I'm in the local PetSmart getting some litter and food and stuff, and I stop by the Adoption area in the back, where they have a few cages holding cats in need of adoption. Most are abandoned house pets, so they are plenty friendly, and paw at the glass as people walk by. (I guess they avoid putting the real psycho kitties out on display or something...)

Anyway, this time there was a sign that they were looking for volunteers to help with cleaning the cages, socializing the animals, etc... I had a moment of soft-heartedness, and signed up to come in after work one day a week.

Now, it turns out that the cleaning and feeding is mostly done in the morning, so all that will really be left by the time I get there is socializing the little beasts.

In other words, I've just volunteered to pet and play with friendly adoption cats.

boy... this is going to be tough. ;-)
Whew...that's going to be rough! I'm sure you'll be able to struggle through! ;-)
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlojeck
My wife's already warned me not to come home with meowing pockets. ;-)
That sounds familiar! Enjoy!
post #8 of 17
aww i wish they had something like that here id love to go!!
post #9 of 17
I foster cats, and it is wonderful, but hard to let everyone go. And my kids miss each sweetie, no matter how long or short they are here!

Enjoy giving them some attention, and the late day check on food and water will be to their benefit, too.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlojeck
My wife's already warned me not to come home with meowing pockets. ;-)
We'll see how long that lasts! That's really great what you're doing Brian; doesn't sound like they had to twist your arm to get you to help!
post #11 of 17
I always think about volunteering at one of my local shelters but it would kill me! Eric has already warned me not to bring anymore cats home!
post #12 of 17
I volunteer at my local animal shelter, it can be very hard at times, but so rewarding.

I always have love to give, especially towards animals in need
post #13 of 17
congrats on your new duties! I started volunteering at our local Petsmart about 2 weeks ago. So far so good (although I do want to take them all home with me! ). Keep us posted on how it goes.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlojeck
so I'm in the local PetSmart getting some litter and food and stuff, and I stop by the Adoption area in the back, where they have a few cages holding cats in need of adoption. Most are abandoned house pets, so they are plenty friendly, and paw at the glass as people walk by. (I guess they avoid putting the real psycho kitties out on display or something...)

Anyway, this time there was a sign that they were looking for volunteers to help with cleaning the cages, socializing the animals, etc... I had a moment of soft-heartedness, and signed up to come in after work one day a week.

Now, it turns out that the cleaning and feeding is mostly done in the morning, so all that will really be left by the time I get there is socializing the little beasts.

In other words, I've just volunteered to pet and play with friendly adoption cats.

boy... this is going to be tough. ;-)
That's cool. How many hours do you stay there?
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe
That's cool. How many hours do you stay there?
Not sure yet, this is my first week, so I'm still in orientation.
post #16 of 17
That would be tough as I would bring all home!!
post #17 of 17
Aww congrats!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I'm volunteering at a cat adoption place..