TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Frightened out of my mind..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Frightened out of my mind..

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Caeser is so hard so control. (Caeser's a dog) He can't come into the house without a leash. He mistakingly came in, and went straight for the trash can. It had turkey bones. He ran around the house with them, with me chasing after him, tears rolling down my face, screaming. I didn't see him shallow any, but what if he did? I don't see any signs, but ...
If I ever become a vegetarian, this will be the reason.


For those who have dogs..

What do you do to prevent this?

Have this ever happened to you?

Am I a bad mom?
post #2 of 16
Awww, Jenny How frightening!
Sorry I don't have dogs, so I'm not sure about advice, but how about getting a trash can that has a snap on lid or one of those metal ones with the hinged lid that doesn't come off and you have to step on the lever to open it.

I know with cats you can give them hairball stuff to help things pass. Just keep a eye on him. Sending good vibes to you both.


BTW, you're definately not a bad mom!
post #3 of 16
I think turkey and chicken bones are dangerous to both cats and dogs. I wouldn't leave any of those bones in the trash at all, whether I had dogs or cats. I would toss them out right away. It's too easy for the animals to get in the trash and help themselves to them. I imagine your dog is OK, because I think you would already know if he had eaten the bones. Just please remember they can hurt cats as well as dogs, and get those bones in the trash outside. I'd wrap them up in a plastic bag or two and throw them out asap.

Cats as well as dogs can choke on the bones. That's the big danger with bones from chicken or turkey.
post #4 of 16
well if you dont see any signs of him choking it then its fine.
This is one of the reasons why i already buy chicken that is boneless.
I dont have aproper oven anyway to make a yummy roast chicken but even if i did i would throw out the chicken bones asap!
Teufel is developing a habbit of going in the trash too, and since our new bin lid just broke im going to get another binthat you have to step on to get it opened. they are a little bit more expensive, but very worth it for the animals... and ants if you have them in your area.
post #5 of 16
Oh hon, that is scary! we have a similar situation with Sandy the puppy because we cannot turn our backs on her for a moment. All bones and "scary trash" gets put into plastic bags (like the ones from the grocery or whatnot), and tied tight, first, then into the general trash. We keep the trash under the cabinet. We went around the entire house last week "thinking like a dog" -- that really helped us spot everything that might be trouble!
We also make sure she is on a leash in the house so she doesn't dominate and create havoc with Saba & Sasha anymore. We've learned a lot this past 2 weeks!!!
post #6 of 16
Dogs are SO different than cats! But just as cats get into what they shouldn't, so do dogs. I usually try to take out the trash if it has something dangerous in it, but I also like using red pepper flakes-a few bites and doggie starts to learn the trash isn't a good place for snacks!

I bagged up my chicken bones from last nights dinner, but one of the cats got one somehow and ate half. Over the years, my pets have eaten a pile of poultry bones, and they are always fine. I'm not saying its a good thing, but it doesn't cause a problem everytime.

You have a border collie mix puppy, I think. They are extremely high energy, and very smart. The best thing to do is to sign up for some obedience classes. You and Caesar will learn how to communicate, and he will become a close member of your family.

Something I saw on animal planet, was when a dog was misbehaving, the people were told to cross their arms and put their hands on their shoulders. Then they looked up at the ceiling/sky. The wild and crazy St. Bernard settled right down. (That wouldn't help with the chicken bone, but in other situations!)

Also, remember dogs are pack animals. Someone is the pack leader. Caesar will be happier once he learns you are his leader. Like I said-VERY different from cats.
post #7 of 16
Have you thought about obedience courses for him? next time he is misbehaving, remain calm, you screaming, crying and chasing him only feeds into his energy level and makes him nuts. I would strongly urge you get him into an obedience course this summer.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
Have you thought about obedience courses for him? next time he is misbehaving, remain calm, you screaming, crying and chasing him only feeds into his energy level and makes him nuts. I would strongly urge you get him into an obedience course this summer.
I totally agree with obedience training. That is the best thing for a dog to get them to understand who is the leader in the pack. Here in these pictures is me and my rainbow bridge boy Nemo. He was about 10 months old in the pictures and had broken my pinky finger on the left hand. He was a very strong and wild boy until obedience class. He graduated with top honors in the class. Obedience training is the way to go!



post #9 of 16
Here is another vote for obedience.
Dogs really deserve the opportunity to behave, and you will be rewarded with a dog who respects you as the leader of the pack.
The worst thing to do is chase a dog when he is misbehaving..He sees it as fun and games and you only stress yourself out.
Don't beat yourself up about it..If he seems fine, then I should think all will be ok.

But look into a local obedience class and/or personal trainer pronto!
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
EEP! I guess I didn't realize I got reponces! I'm reading all of yours now..
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy
Awww, Jenny How frightening!
Sorry I don't have dogs, so I'm not sure about advice, but how about getting a trash can that has a snap on lid or one of those metal ones with the hinged lid that doesn't come off and you have to step on the lever to open it.

I know with cats you can give them hairball stuff to help things pass. Just keep a eye on him. Sending good vibes to you both.


BTW, you're definately not a bad mom!

It WAS frightening! I think we will, ASAP.

Aw, thanks.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker
I think turkey and chicken bones are dangerous to both cats and dogs. I wouldn't leave any of those bones in the trash at all, whether I had dogs or cats. I would toss them out right away. It's too easy for the animals to get in the trash and help themselves to them. I imagine your dog is OK, because I think you would already know if he had eaten the bones. Just please remember they can hurt cats as well as dogs, and get those bones in the trash outside. I'd wrap them up in a plastic bag or two and throw them out asap.

Cats as well as dogs can choke on the bones. That's the big danger with bones from chicken or turkey.

Thank you very much. I'll make sure the next time we eat turkey or chicken, I have it all thrown out right away, outside.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan
well if you dont see any signs of him choking it then its fine.
This is one of the reasons why i already buy chicken that is boneless.
I dont have aproper oven anyway to make a yummy roast chicken but even if i did i would throw out the chicken bones asap!
Teufel is developing a habbit of going in the trash too, and since our new bin lid just broke im going to get another binthat you have to step on to get it opened. they are a little bit more expensive, but very worth it for the animals... and ants if you have them in your area.

Sorry I'm quoting everyone, you all just have great responces.

We used to have that kind, and just like you, our lid broke.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Beckiboo- I saw that show! It was Barking Mad, I think!

For everyone that has asked- Caeser has had obedience training, just so you know. He graduated Basic Training.
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
Have you thought about obedience courses for him? next time he is misbehaving, remain calm, you screaming, crying and chasing him only feeds into his energy level and makes him nuts. I would strongly urge you get him into an obedience course this summer.

The only reason I did that, was if I tryed to take it away calmy, he'd pull back and ran away. I didn't know what to do.
post #16 of 16
All my trash cans have lids - too much temptation for them if the trash isn't covered up, regardless of what is in there. My dogs like red pepper flakes - they don't always work.

I have to vote on obedience training also. If you have a border collie puppy, they are nothing but energy and you have to find a way to direct that energy to something positive. That breed was bred to work, and they must be given a job to do.

My OTB Jethro was part border collie and he calmed down about 4 years old. His job was to guard sleeping cats - he'd stand over them while sleeping and nudge them back in place if they woke up and tried to move. Clocked him at over an hour one time. He would drool and the cats would wake up sopping wet. Interestingly, he absolutely loved the cats and became their protector and playmate. Imagine an 80 pound dog boxing playfully with cats and having the cats love it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Frightened out of my mind..