TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › CFA Cattery name registration question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CFA Cattery name registration question

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Just for the heck of it (I don't show or breed ... yet ) I've put in an application with CFA to register a cattery name. On average about how long does it take to get verification back if anyone here remembers? It's only been a week but I'm guessing at least 4-6 weeks? More? Less? Inquiring minds want to know!
post #2 of 20
Mine took about 3 to 4 weeks with CFA. Hope yours come through faster.
post #3 of 20
What breed of cats do you have?
post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 
Maine Coons, Sam. Hubby and I both like "big" (although that doesn't apply to the dog obviously, as she's a Pekingese )

Thanks for the answer, Gayf. That sounds about what I'd expected actually. For some reason I have the idea that some of the recordkeeping and such at CFA is probably done the old-fashioned way, i.e. by hand, which would of course take longer. It also wouldn't surprise me to learn that they're understaffed for what they do.
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
My registration came in the mail yesterday! So it took about 10 days all told.

So without further ado ... presenting ...

ROSEHAWKE MAINE COONS

Although that's rather pretentious actually since as I mentioned earlier I don't breed or show although I'm hoping "the boys" will be good enough to show in alter classes.
post #6 of 20
Excellent Cindy! Glad to hear they were able to process your request so quickly and that you were able to get the name you wanted! That isn't easy these days at CFA.

Unfortunately, even though my cats are registered with CFA, they are not eligible to be shown due to the fact that they are the old-style Siamese and don't meet the breed standard. I can't show them as AOV's unless they are neutered and well, that kind of defeats the purpose ...

I wish you much luck in your showing experience - please let me know how it goes?

~gf~
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
I must humbly disagree ... they could be shown, they just wouldn't win anything! I love the old-style Siamese, their personalities and coloring, and have often thought that perhaps they should be designated as a different breed so that they could be campaigned successfully. No offense to anyone on the boards who may actually show and breed same, but I think the cats that meet the present Siamese/Oriental standard look rather rat-like! Not something I'd want on my lap, I'm afraid.

I've not looked into it as that is not where my interest lies (my heart belongs to Maine Coons ) but perhaps it's time for the "old-style" breeders to unite and work towards getting them recognized by the major registries? A lot of work, spanning years, but think of the end-goal!
post #8 of 20
Unfortunately, the Old-Style Siamese will never have their own breed designation in CFA due to the fact that the Tonk's recently were granted their own breed standard and CFA disallows duplication of standards. *sigh* It is, I am afraid, a lost cause.

As for showing in AOV, why would I want to if I couldn't win anything???
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Pity. There really needs to be something like two divisions according to body type within the Siamese breed. Not going to happen of course. It's just sad that breeders who prefer working with the old-type Siamese are unable to get the recognition they deserve .
post #10 of 20
Ok, this is where I get confused. Growing up we had siamese. I believe he was an apple head. He wasn't all slinky and skinny like some other siamese. Which one is the traditional siamese?
post #11 of 20
Congrats on getting the name you wanted!

I have to say those breeding long nosed Persians or Siamese that don't fit the standard, get laughed at here in NZ especially when they show their cats. Breeding them defeats the purpose of a standard, each to their own, of course!!
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'll have a shot at it, Gaye, correct me if I'm wrong.

What you remember is the traditional Siamese. Something that really looked like a "regular" cat. But somewhere down the line they wrote the breed standard in CFA, and breeders, in attempting to come as close to the standard as possible in their quest for the golden ring , bred them more and more extreme until now "Show" Siamese are these slinky, thin, "Twiggy" (remember her?) sorts. But meanwhile, others who were not so keen on points, kept to the traditional Siamese look so that there has come two distinct body types, even though both types have pedigrees back to Methuselah and both are "Siamese."
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
... I have to say those breeding long nosed Persians or Siamese that don't fit the standard, get laughed at here in NZ especially when they show their cats. Breeding them defeats the purpose of a standard, each to their own, of course!!
While it isn't at all a "laughing" matter, there are people (all over the world actually) that are highly concerned by those breeding the short-faced Persians and other extreme body styles of cats. We walk through the show halls and we see those poor cats with their smushed-up faces and anorexic body styles living maybe, if they are lucky, until they are 6 or 7 years old and wonder how long it will take for those cats' breeders to get it that they AREN'T helping the breed by perpetuating genetic health issues caused by years of neglect, stupidity and misinterpretation of the responsible ethics of animal husbandry.

But, as you say, to each their own ...
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
I'll have a shot at it, Gaye, correct me if I'm wrong.

What you remember is the traditional Siamese. Something that really looked like a "regular" cat. But somewhere down the line they wrote the breed standard in CFA, and breeders, in attempting to come as close to the standard as possible in their quest for the golden ring , bred them more and more extreme until now "Show" Siamese are these slinky, thin, "Twiggy" (remember her?) sorts. But meanwhile, others who were not so keen on points, kept to the traditional Siamese look so that there has come two distinct body types, even though both types have pedigrees back to Methuselah and both are "Siamese."
The breed standard for the Siamese began to evolve in the mid-to-late 1950's and early 1960's. They were becoming so very extreme that one popular breeder (and I believe, senior member of the breed council) proposed a preface to the standard to keep this trend in check - Jeanne Singer of Singa Siamese cattery was that breeder. Her preface was adopted and it was the only thing that kept the Siamese from evolving into something even more extreme than they are now.

The old-style cats are just about gone now. There are only a very small handful of breeders who still support them and so many have left CFA because of the dissention among groups - those who adhere strictly to the standard and those who, like me, have gone maverick and still breed the old-style cats.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
No offense to anyone on the boards who may actually show and breed same, but I think the cats that meet the present Siamese/Oriental standard look rather rat-like! Not something I'd want on my lap, I'm afraid.
Hi RoseHawke, you know it's funny. I have one old fashioned traditional Applehead Siamese, and I just got a lovely new Modern Extreme Wedge faced girl, and at first I thought she reminded me a bit of a rat, with her long face, slender body, and her skinny tail. A cute rat, but I see how you would say that.

I personally don't go along with all of the genetic mutation to create the "Standard". As far as Siamese go, I think both types are beautiful, but I don't understand why they felt they needed to mess with the breed to change the looks. I also think that the Doll faced Persians are much prettier, although I did have a flat faced Persian, who went to The Rainbow Bridge and an extremely young age of 3 years old. My other Traditional Siamese, Snoopy, lived to be 20 years old.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayef
While it isn't at all a "laughing" matter, there are people (all over the world actually) that are highly concerned by those breeding the short-faced Persians and other extreme body styles of cats. We walk through the show halls and we see those poor cats with their smushed-up faces and anorexic body styles living maybe, if they are lucky, until they are 6 or 7 years old and wonder how long it will take for those cats' breeders to get it that they AREN'T helping the breed by perpetuating genetic health issues caused by years of neglect, stupidity and misinterpretation of the responsible ethics of animal husbandry.

But, as you say, to each their own ...
I have doll faced persians, and they get compliments on how pretty they are, and how people prefer this look over the flat faced ones. It's too bad really that these cats might become extinct because they no longer represent the standard. I wish more things could be done to preserve these cats.
post #17 of 20
I really hope the Doll Faced Persians don't become extinct. They are so beautiful. Such sweet faces. You know they use a Doll Faced Persian on the Fancy Feast commercials. That cat is just about the most beautiful cat I've seen. I wish they hadn't made the standard to be flat faced. I don't see why we can't have room for both. I wouldn't want to insult anyone who prefers flat faced Persians, but I can't understand why anyone would consider that to be preferable to a Doll Faced Persian.
post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
This is the first I've heard the phrase "Doll-faced Persian." I assume that's analagous to the apple-head Siamese. Back when, 20 years ago, I was interested in Persians and had settled on a Chinchilla Persian as it seemed to me that they were not so extreme. I never did find one (how the internet has changed things!) and ended up with a blue-cream point Himalayan as I had a friend/acquaintance who had taken up showing and breeding Himys (Don't ask me how she segued into that, prior she had been into showing and breeding chickens!) I've since lost touch with her and have no idea if she still does or not. The cattery was/is Mossrose if that makes any difference.

As I mentioned it's almost as if there needs to be divisions within several of the breeds for body type, as there is for color. But that would be a huge change and I'm sure that the vast majority of the "powers that be" subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.

I don't see how the Peke-faced Persians can function, and I've read of instances where they don't very well. I have the "genuine article," a show-bred Pekingese, and her snuffling, sneezing, snoring (although a running joke in the household, the fact that she "has no nose,") I would certainly not wish on a cat!
post #19 of 20
A year ago we rescued a Persian found out in the middle of nowhere. I felt so sorry for this boy, he really did not have a nose. Everytime he ate, I had to clean out his nose of food and stuff. We nicknamed him Little Snort because he seemed to fight for breath a lot. I found him a wonderful, charming and fun kitty once he got over his bout with being out in the wild for so long. he really was captivating, despite his shortened sinuses.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
This is the first I've here the phrase "Doll-faced Persian." I assume that's analagous to the apple-head Siamese. Back when, 20 years ago, I was interested in Persians and had settled on a Chinchilla Persian as it seemed to me that they were not so extreme. I never did find one (how the internet has changed things!) and ended up with a blue-cream point Himalayan as I had a friend/acquaintance who had taken up showing and breeding Himys (Don't ask me how she segued into that, prior she had been into showing and breeding chickens!) I've since lost touch with her and have no idea if she still does or not. The cattery was/is Mossrose if that makes any difference.

As I mentioned it's almost as if there needs to be divisions within several of the breeds for body type, as there is for color. But that would be a huge change and I'm sure that the vast majority of the "powers that be" subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.

I don't see how the Peke-faced Persians can function, and I've read of instances where they don't very well. I have the "genuine article," a show-bred Pekingese, and her snuffling, sneezing, snoring (although a running joke in the household, the fact that she "has no nose,") I would certainly not wish on a cat!
Yes, doll faced refers to persian with a longer nose and not so flat face. I think they are very pretty cats, with their long hair and cute round face. But they are not up to the standard anymore, so they wouldn't win anything if shown. But as a pet owner, I wasn't going to show them anyway. I was specifically looking for a doll faced, not modern persian, because I definetly prefer a doll faced look. Add to that that mine have no problems with eating or breathing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › CFA Cattery name registration question