New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

raw food??

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
i've been feeding raw food now for two weeks but i can't get them to eat the powdered vitamin supplement, what else do i need to feed or add to the raw food to be more balanced diet?, they have a variety of rabbit with bones, duck with bones, ostrich, chicken with organs and chicken breast and also i'm leaving the kibbles out.
post #2 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER
i've been feeding raw food now for two weeks but i can't get them to eat the powdered vitamin supplement, what else do i need to feed or add to the raw food to be more balanced diet?, they have a variety of rabbit with bones, duck with bones, ostrich, chicken with organs and chicken breast and also i'm leaving the kibbles out.
I am doing cooked food and found that the liquid was better recieved than the powder
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
can you give a name of the liquid supplement and the place to get it? thanks
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER
can you give a name of the liquid supplement and the place to get it? thanks
I got a decent general supplement at Wal mart of all places it is for cats... I also use human b , glucosamine/chondrodin and calcium... I will get a liquid human supplement when I get to the health food store( I live in a town with no health food store
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
maybe my vet has a liquid supplement.
post #6 of 21
Maybe mine didnt have one with taurine, that is essential for a cat
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
Maybe mine didnt have one with taurine, that is essential for a cat
Taurine supplement isn't necessary when you raw feed, especially not if one feeds heart and liver which is high in taurine.
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
thanks, along with raw i'm also feeding wellness dry, somehow i'm not confident enough just to feed raw alone, but i don't feed raw and dry at the same time.
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER
thanks, along with raw i'm also feeding wellness dry, somehow i'm not confident enough just to feed raw alone, but i don't feed raw and dry at the same time.
then you should be fine... cheack the welness bag taurine will be in there on the % stuff
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
Taurine supplement isn't necessary when you raw feed, especially not if one feeds heart and liver which is high in taurine.
I cook most of mine stuff but I just got some beef liver for variety.... I think i will see weather or not she will eat it raw... Is the taurine destryed with cooking( med-rare)
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
I cook most of mine stuff but I just got some beef liver for variety.... I think i will see weather or not she will eat it raw... Is the taurine destryed with cooking( med-rare)
Yeah, the taurine is destroyed when the meat is cooked. There are no certain numbers on how much of the taurine that is destroyed but some says that up to 50 % of the taurine is destroyed by cooking so when one cooks the meat it's best to add taurine.
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
Yeah, the taurine is destroyed when the meat is cooked. There are no certain numbers on how much of the taurine that is destroyed but some says that up to 50 % of the taurine is destroyed by cooking so when one cooks the meat it's best to add taurine.
she does like raw hambuger so I will try the liver raw and see ...
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 
can they overdose on taurine?, i bought a taurine capsule from GNC, i'm planning to do a raw diet recipe and see if they like it.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
she does like raw hambuger so I will try the liver raw and see ...
Please click here and read the 5th paragraph on organ meats/liver and vitamin a overdosing - it lists how much liver is okay per week.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER
can they overdose on taurine?, i bought a taurine capsule from GNC, i'm planning to do a raw diet recipe and see if they like it.
To our knowledge, taurine can't be overdosed. Supplementing with 60-80 mg taurine a day should be fine accordig to veterinarian Richard Pitcairn.
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix
Please click here and read the 5th paragraph on organ meats/liver and vitamin a overdosing - it lists how much liver is okay per week.
Thank you so much that never crossed my mind...

fyi for everyone 28 grams to one ounce.... so 100=3.57 ounces
rough est 3.5 to about 7 ounces a week
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
Thank you so much that never crossed my mind...

fyi for everyone 28 grams to one ounce.... so 100=3.57 ounces
rough est 3.5 to about 7 ounces a week
Thanks, I didn't think to do the conversion.
post #18 of 21
I would never feed a raw food diet. Especially with as many cats as I have. I also think it is important to have dry food, because it helps with cleaning the kitties teeth.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
I would never feed a raw food diet. Especially with as many cats as I have. I also think it is important to have dry food, because it helps with cleaning the kitties teeth.
What's better than raw meaty bones when it comes to cleaning the teeth
post #20 of 21
And who's going around to pick up the meaty bones from 13 hungry kitties??

Our three dogs get the meaty bones! Plus my kitties aren't fussed.
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
And who's going around to pick up the meaty bones from 13 hungry kitties??

Our three dogs get the meaty bones! Plus my kitties aren't fussed.
There shouldn't be anything left to pick up when they're done with the bones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food