TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Meowmy Put Me On A D-I-E-T!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meowmy Put Me On A D-I-E-T!!!!

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Anyway. We're now measuring out Meish's food and cutting any little extra nibbles she gets (table wise like chicken) and cutting down her treats to one a day before bed. We're making her exercise a little more too lol. She goes crazy for the lazor pointer my neighbor has. I'll eventually invest in one.
The shot in the first picture makes her look like she is almost 20 lbs but she's only 13 lol. Bad angle. Meish made sure I added that in. (I didn't put this in health and nutrition cause I just wanted it conversational and its all an intro to her CUTE pictures... next time I'll get some jogging shorts on her and a tape measure around her waist. )



post #2 of 23
that is soo cute
Teufel wont go on the scales
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
lol that's my home scale. Hubby and I were just messing around and I thought it was too cute that she just sat on it like that. The coolness must have felt nice.
post #4 of 23
lol yes outs is in the bathroom and he just throws his mices on it!
post #5 of 23
Poor Meish . I wonder how long it will take her to figure out where you hide the treats
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
lol She's okay about it pretty much. Its a matter that she just eats whatever and however much is in her bowl. She isn't starving BY ANY MEANS LOL. I should get a fat roll picture
post #7 of 23
She's so cute. Good luck with her diet!
post #8 of 23
13lb and on a diet? are you sure she needs one?
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarePuss
13lb and on a diet? are you sure she needs one?
I think she is fine. But Hubby calls her tubby and the vet said she should lose down to 10 lbs. She's pretty lazy so I need to increase her activity. She does have an impressive pooch on her tummy lol. We're cutting extra treats. Her food has all the nutrition she needs, why should I add anything to her diet??
post #10 of 23
Good luck - Addie weighed just over 9 lbs and needed to be down to 8 according to the Vet so we put her on Science Diet light - it worked a treat. The only problem was it took a bit longer than it should because she kept creeping in and stealing Lily's kitten food
post #11 of 23
I know I sound like a broken record to some on this subject, but please do not arbitrarily put your cat on a diet without a vet's knowledge and input. It can be very dangerous for your cat as the weight has to be removed slowly not quickly.
post #12 of 23
Ali, I need to talk to you!
Mt cats are on a diet as well. They were weighing 13.5 and 13.6

I cut back on the food, too.
The vet said 12 pounds was a good weight. He siad to go SLOWLY and let it take 6 months for them to get to 12 pounds. So be careful.

The pics are adorable!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali012281
lol She's okay about it pretty much. Its a matter that she just eats whatever and however much is in her bowl. She isn't starving BY ANY MEANS LOL. I should get a fat roll picture
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali012281
I think she is fine. But Hubby calls her tubby and the vet said she should lose down to 10 lbs. She's pretty lazy so I need to increase her activity. She does have an impressive pooch on her tummy lol. We're cutting extra treats. Her food has all the nutrition she needs, why should I add anything to her diet??

Aw Meish is on a diet... Baylee might have to join her soon! Sheesh, our kitties are so spoiled though!

Anyway, I love that first picture... too cute!
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
I know I sound like a broken record to some on this subject, but please do not arbitrarily put your cat on a diet without a vet's knowledge and input. It can be very dangerous for your cat as the weight has to be removed slowly not quickly.
Thanks for the concern Hissy. I have spoken with the Vet and she said Meishka should drop a few lbs down to ten lb. She was the one who recommended that I just measure her food, decrease treats and increase her exercise.
post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl2good
Ali, I need to talk to you!
Mt cats are on a diet as well. They were weighing 13.5 and 13.6

I cut back on the food, too.
The vet said 12 pounds was a good weight. He siad to go SLOWLY and let it take 6 months for them to get to 12 pounds. So be careful.

The pics are adorable!!
We're going slow with her Diet. I figure if she gets 11-12 lbs thats fine. She is healthy in general but the Vet would like to see her at a lesser weight.
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
I know I sound like a broken record to some on this subject, but please do not arbitrarily put your cat on a diet without a vet's knowledge and input. It can be very dangerous for your cat as the weight has to be removed slowly not quickly.
Not to jump on your toes, but I think there's no need for concern... Beth isn't drastically cutting Meish's food, just making sure she gets no more than what she's supposed to... and cutting down on the treats, while trying to get her to exercise a bit more. I think that makes sense, especially if the vet agrees.

So how much crying should we expect from Meish once she realizes she's not going to get all the food she's used to? Today I was a bit late giving Max his food and he stood in front of the food bowl waiting... lucky he's not overweight or I'd be in trouble!
post #17 of 23
Ari

I responded because I wanted to be sure that people reading this who might determine on their own to put their cats on a diet are aware of the risks of doing so without vet intervention. It can be quite risky depending on how fat the cat is in the first place. Cats are not designed to be fat. They are supposed to be lean, athletic machines. If your cat is obese be sure it does not have a thyroid issue or diabetes.
post #18 of 23
Yeah that's a good heads-up. Thanks for clarifying!
post #19 of 23
Well all I'm going to say is that Meishka looks like a sweetie sitting on the scale. She looks very adorable and I love her coat.
post #20 of 23
She looks so adorable sitting on the scale like that.
post #21 of 23
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone for the nice compliments on the pictures of Meish and also for the warnings and advice people are giving me. I just want to point that I have talked to the vet and its with her advice that I am measuring Meish's portions. All I wanted was to make people smile with the silly picture of my cat, not cause arguements with putting my cat on a diet. Sorry if anyone was upset.
post #22 of 23
Awww... poor girl! No woman likes people to know how much they weigh!

Cute pics though!
post #23 of 23
Beth, Meish is too cute! Would she like to join our workout support thread with her meowmy? I prescribe 30 minutes with the Cat Dancer today!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Meowmy Put Me On A D-I-E-T!!!!