TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Advice, please?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice, please?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
I just got new braces put on my new teeth that finally came in.

But the bracet is so high up from all the others, because it is not fully grown in.

So the other teeth are pulling it down. I hate everyone who works on teeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its so painful.

They say it shouldn't hurt for more then a few hours, here I am, the next day, bawling my head off.


I would really like some advice how how to minimize the pain, or some vibes, please. I know it sounds silly, but not when you have the braces.
post #2 of 25
I've never had braces, so I can't imagine the pain you're going through. I have however had plenty of friends who have had them, and I can remember how awful it was for them. So, since I have no advice for you all I can do is send you plenty of "stop hurting" :::::::::::::VIBES::::::::::::::::::::! I hope you're feeling better soon!
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Thanks a bunch.
post #4 of 25
aww Jenny, I feel for you. I remember what it was like for my daughter - every time she had her braces tightened it would hurt for a couple of days. We used to have plenty of anbesol around - that really helps. But remember it is a local anaesthetic that you rub on, so don't bite your cheek or tongue. Her orthodontist also used to recommend mild painkillers for the first couple of days - talk to your parents about that. Then she also used to say that some ice cream would help to soothe your mouth.

Hope this helps and that it gets better soon. Poor you
post #5 of 25
Is it your teeth that are sore? Or is it the bracket that is bothering you? If it's the teeth then perhaps take some pain medicine like ibuprofin or something?
post #6 of 25
Hey darlin', I wore them for three years, so I know how it feels!{{HUGS}}. For the next 12 hours, if you have both tylenol and ibuproen, take two tylenol every four hours and two ibuprofen every four hours, but take them in two hour intervals....tyleno, two hours later, ibuprofen, two hours later tylenol......you're not taking any more than the reccomended doseage, but they "bump" each other's painkilling ability this way. Rinse your mouth with warm salty water, that helps too, oh, and don't forget to hug a kitty!
post #7 of 25
Wish I had some words of advice Kiddo, but luckily I haven't had to have braces. Just sending lots of and remember, this pain won't last forever!
post #8 of 25
aww ive got braces at the moment getting them off NEXT WEEK!!! (only had them for a year and 3 months)
when they first put them on it hurt for a month!!!!!
you really only should eat baby food or mashed potatoes!
You can take asprin but according to the packet
and you can also get baby teething gel, that really soothes it REALLY GOOD! (but it tastes really yuck in my opinion!)
post #9 of 25
Ibuprofen works wonders, but works best if you space the pills - instead of taking two pills at once, take one, and then wait a half hour to an hour before taking the second. My dentist advised this, and he was right!
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flisssweetpea
aww Jenny, I feel for you. I remember what it was like for my daughter - every time she had her braces tightened it would hurt for a couple of days. We used to have plenty of anbesol around - that really helps. But remember it is a local anaesthetic that you rub on, so don't bite your cheek or tongue. Her orthodontist also used to recommend mild painkillers for the first couple of days - talk to your parents about that. Then she also used to say that some ice cream would help to soothe your mouth.

Hope this helps and that it gets better soon. Poor you

Thanks. I'll try to use some meds when mom gets home, and I will ask her to get some ice cream. It stinks that this has to happen over Spring Break.
post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226
Is it your teeth that are sore? Or is it the bracket that is bothering you? If it's the teeth then perhaps take some pain medicine like ibuprofin or something?

My teeth are sore.
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy
Hey darlin', I wore them for three years, so I know how it feels!{{HUGS}}. For the next 12 hours, if you have both tylenol and ibuproen, take two tylenol every four hours and two ibuprofen every four hours, but take them in two hour intervals....tyleno, two hours later, ibuprofen, two hours later tylenol......you're not taking any more than the reccomended doseage, but they "bump" each other's painkilling ability this way. Rinse your mouth with warm salty water, that helps too, oh, and don't forget to hug a kitty!

I can't take meds till mom gets home. I'll try the hug a kitty, and salt water though.
post #13 of 25
Just remember - as unpleasant as it is - that's a good sign. It shows your brace is doing what it's supposed to - pulling your teeth into the shape that you ultimately want them to be
post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever
Wish I had some words of advice Kiddo, but luckily I haven't had to have braces. Just sending lots of and remember, this pain won't last forever!
Thanks a million, Susie.
post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat
Ibuprofen works wonders, but works best if you space the pills - instead of taking two pills at once, take one, and then wait a half hour to an hour before taking the second. My dentist advised this, and he was right!
Thanks so much! I'll try to go find it. Mom called and said I could take some, but I have to find where she hids it.
post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flisssweetpea
Just remember - as unpleasant as it is - that's a good sign. It shows your brace is doing what it's supposed to - pulling your teeth into the shape that you ultimately want them to be

Its really hard to think about Beth, even though you are so right.

I'm so hungary!
post #17 of 25
Oh sweetie! ::MAJOR HUGS:: I had braces about 10 years ago and it looks like you've already gotten some great advice from other members. My only other advice is to think about the big picture and the gorgeous smile you'll have one day! Oh, and eat plenty of ice cream!
post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 
Still searching for the medications, but I hugged a kitty and put on some lip soother, and it feels a tiny bit better. Orei really helped my feelings, though.
post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaimes
Oh sweetie! ::MAJOR HUGS:: I had braces about 10 years ago and it looks like you've already gotten some great advice from other members. My only other advice is to think about the big picture and the gorgeous smile you'll have one day! Oh, and eat plenty of ice cream!

Thanks so much! I asked mom to bring some home.
post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
I found the meds, and there is only one left. The other is a different brand. I don't think I should take different brands at once, so I have to wait.
post #21 of 25
post #22 of 25
Thread Starter 
post #23 of 25
Awww... I remember hating braces. Hey, if it makes you feel better, my brother had to wear braces twice - for a total of 5 years, I believe! Blegh!
post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 
Oh no! Give your brother a hug for me.
post #25 of 25
Argh, I hated the days of braces. I had six full years of metal in my mouth, from when I was 8 until 11, and again when I was 14 tuntil 17. Whoever designed "Phase I" and "Phase II" braces should have a mad cat thrown on him.

Remember to get wax from your orthodontist, that will help with the pain of it rubbing against your lips.

Drugs are always good. I afound that ibruprofen and alieve (never taken together) worked the best, but everyone is different when it comes to OTC pain meds.

I know this sounds crazy, but get a soft toothbrush and massage the area above the tooth that hurts. I think it's because it stimulated blood flow or something, but it helped get rid of some of the pain for a while. (In a pinch I would rub my finger on my gums, and that helped, too.)

Also, try using ice or heat on your mouth. (I was always a heat person, my friends who had braces were always ice people.)

Hang in there. Believe me, when they're off it's totally worth it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Advice, please?