TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › What's with Florida Anyway?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's with Florida Anyway?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I was thinking ( always dangerous) about this while I was enjoying my first cup of Joe this morning...maybe we need to cut Florida off from the mainland. First we had the Cuban kid that caused such an uproar, I can't recall his first name now, I think his last name was Gonzales, then we had the 2000 Florida election debacle, now we have the Terri Schiavo case. I won't even mention Anita Bryant, even though I just did. And let's not forget all the hutricaines they have down there...I think it's time for Florida to go!
post #2 of 24
his first name is "elian". Yea florida is crazy but it sure is beautiful!!! Can we at least keep Disneyworld, Destin, and the keys? please?!?!?!

Oh, and Naples, cause my aunt lives there...
post #3 of 24
post #4 of 24
Elian Gonzalez? And hey don't start thinking like that... next you might start thinking of cutting off Texas for all the stuff that happens down here! Ack!
post #5 of 24
Fran it is so funny that you mention that because I have noticed that Florida has been in the news so much in the last 5-6 years. We were JUST talking about that the other day.
Florida really is a great place to live, but geez do we really have to have so many issues? Maybe we are just starved for attention
post #6 of 24
Well, it's a damn good thing I'm in Georgia for the weekend!

Eek! Gotta run back and get the cats!
post #7 of 24
Florida does have its good points .... Like Miami and South Beach and Port Saint Lucie( where a friend and her husband own a condo) and the balmy weather.
post #8 of 24
Hmmmmm... living on an island might be kind of fun. My Mom always tells me how wierd my friends here in Florida are. There is way too much traffic. Where would the snowbirds go?

At least here, a dog is a dog.
post #9 of 24
Hey I'm grateful! Being from CA we are happy the 'weirdo trouble maker" label has traveled across country.
post #10 of 24
Can't forget the missing girl case either (it happened in Florida too) the extensive national coverage of the case made it so her killer is removed from the general population in prison.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb25
Well, it's a damn good thing I'm in Georgia for the weekend!
Yeah, Georgia, even with all of its backwards-thinking politicians, is still a pretty good place to be Don't want to get rid of Florida though- I have too much family there and there are WAY too many good-looking men for the States to lose!!!
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra
Florida does have its good points .... Like Miami and South Beach and Port Saint Lucie( where a friend and her husband own a condo) and the balmy weather.
Thank you Sandra, guys don't forget I live in Miami. You guys want to get rid of me? Can we get rid of the cubans only? Let's send them back to Cuba!

BTW Sandra, the temperature has been on the low 90's this whole week.
post #13 of 24
I love Florida, but it is getting crowded enough in our area to make us want to leave.
You would think that the hurricanes would scare the faint-hearted away..but it's gotten noticeably worse! Go figure..
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz
I was thinking ( always dangerous) about this while I was enjoying my first cup of Joe this morning...maybe we need to cut Florida off from the mainland. First we had the Cuban kid that caused such an uproar, I can't recall his first name now, I think his last name was Gonzales, then we had the 2000 Florida election debacle, now we have the Terri Schiavo case. I won't even mention Anita Bryant, even though I just did. And let's not forget all the hutricaines they have down there...I think it's time for Florida to go!
ahaha.. i agree.

You know, on 'fark.com' they have a 'florida' tag for those especially assine stories
post #15 of 24
Last summer, I told people that the hurricanes FL kept having was God's revenge for the 2000 election.
post #16 of 24
If we get rid of Florida we have to keep Disneyworld. I haven't been there yet.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcoal
If we get rid of Florida we have to keep Disneyworld. I haven't been there yet.
Nope - it's all or nothing. Disney goes with the package.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226
Elian Gonzalez? And hey don't start thinking like that... next you might start thinking of cutting off Texas for all the stuff that happens down here! Ack!
NEVER!!!! CAN"T do that! George lives there!
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcoal
If we get rid of Florida we have to keep Disneyworld. I haven't been there yet.
If you stay at the Disneyland hotel or if you buy into some package (not sure which!) you can go several places regular tourists cannnot. ONE place is the feeding of the wild animals in their wild animal (jungle?) exibit. You go at sunrise and watch them come out to eat. You get to see all of them while people who go later don't!
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiecusion
Can't forget the missing girl case either (it happened in Florida too) the extensive national coverage of the case made it so her killer is removed from the general population in prison.
What missing girl is that? HERE in CA we had Lacy Peterson and Polly Klaus, and THEIR killers are safely tucked away and protected in jail!
post #21 of 24
You know, I've heard of people calling themselves a Texan or a Californian. Never heard of a Floridian before.

Interesting - do people in some states tend to identify themselves with their state more? can't put it into better English in that time of the night - sorry
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne
You know, I've heard of people calling themselves a Texan or a Californian. Never heard of a Floridian before.

Interesting - do people in some states tend to identify themselves with their state more? can't put it into better English in that time of the night - sorry
I'd have to say "yes" - I'm more of a citizen of Pennsylvania than a "U.S. citizen". I have trouble with the laws of some states, for example, Texas. It's difficult for some people to conceive - Texas is one of 50 states, but is still twice the size of France. I don't even want to think about the size of some Chinese provinces!
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat
I'd have to say "yes" - I'm more of a citizen of Pennsylvania than a "U.S. citizen". I have trouble with the laws of some states, for example, Texas. It's difficult for some people to conceive - Texas is one of 50 states, but is still twice the size of France. I don't even want to think about the size of some Chinese provinces!
Yes especially the last few years, I really identify as a Californian MUCH more than as a US citizen.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne
You know, I've heard of people calling themselves a Texan or a Californian. Never heard of a Floridian before.

Interesting - do people in some states tend to identify themselves with their state more? can't put it into better English in that time of the night - sorry
I think it has a lot to do with the sheer size of the US. I definitely identify myself as an American first, Coloradoan second even though I've lived in Colorado most of my life (moved here when I was 18 months old ). But if someone asks where I'm from, I say Colorado and assume they know that's the US. LOL We're pretty geo-centric in the US. We may not know the rest of the world's geography, but we do expect you to know where we are.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › What's with Florida Anyway?