Donna, this is a really good thread, and really thought provoking.
I too have recently evaluated what a true friend is......
I recently (nine months ago) lost the person who "claimed" to be my best friend.
We had been 'best' friends for several years....
Then 6 months after my dad died, she sent me a nasty e-mail, and said I wasn't the same anymore, and that I just wasn't dealing with reality anymore. She then dumped me as a friend.
I feel this was cruel, and it made me rethink what a TRUE friend really is.... Here is what I think a TRUE friend really is, (for whatever it is worth)
1. A REAL friend accepts the changes in you
2. A REAL friend loves you even when you piss them off
3. A REAL friend tries to help you to see reality, not just tell you that you aren't dealing with it, and leave you.
4. A REAL friend won't mind if you wake them up at 3 am, just to talk, cause you are feeling insecure, or sad, or vulnerable, etc
5. A REAL friend just loves you......period. And that doesn't mean they agree with you, or even totally understand you, but they are THERE for you, dammit.
Okay, after posting this, I don't feel too great...maybe I just have too high of expectations of my friends, but I don't feel very understood by them.
Donna, you have pissed me off a few times, but I have always loved you.
The one thing I never told you is that the night I was so worried about Merlin, I wanted to call you so bad....you were honestly the one person I wanted to call and talk to about it.....
I think thats why it hurt me so bad when I saw your response to it.
About how America had worse things to worry about than my cats b@lls...etc.
But you know what......a TRUE friend still loves you, so you want to know what a true friend is....I think you are looking at it.
A real friend loves unconditionally, and God only knows I need that.
I hope you feel the same way.