TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Burrowing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Burrowing

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hi,
I just adopted a 4 year old male persian from a woman who was his foster mom. He is completely shaved except for his paws,face, and tip of his tail, he looks like a lion. I have had him since Tuesday nite. He sleeps most of the day and is up most of the night, could this be because we took him home at night? Also when he sleeps, he burrows under his blankets completely, his entire body. Could this mean he is cold???? We put a nice build a bear sweater on him, and he does not mind it at all. Any insight on these 2 behaviors would be appreciated. He is a very sweet boy, and has taken to all of us,myself,husband and son&daughter. We adore him, and he seems to be happy.It is so wonderful to have a furbaby back in our home. We are also looking to adopt his friend who is a female persian, that is living with the same foster mom. We hope to have her Monday or Tuesday. I was told she is very timid, and will need work with socializing as the person who had her kept her in a cage,how sad is that????????
post #2 of 18
Hi!
First of all thanks for adopting an "older kitty" most people want 2 year olds and under. I'm so glad you have him and he's working out for you.

Now about the "burrowing", I have a cat/kitten (she's just under a year) that does the same thing! I can't figure out why. Our house is always VERY warm, as I get cold easily so I don't *think* it's a temperature thing (at least with my girl), but I think she may be hiding. We have 5 other kitties and maybe it's my girls way of getting some "alone" time. I was thinking maybe it's a security thing with your little boy since he's new to you? I guess time will tell. I think it's a very cute habit....to see the little bump in the bed, ya know?

I wish you best of luck with this boy and the "friend" that you are planning to adopt for him. Thank you for taking her too....
Laura.
post #3 of 18
L.S. loves to burrow under the covers with my mom, and will occationally do the same with me. I think he just loves the feeling of it.
post #4 of 18
He sounds lovely! Congratulations and how wonderful you're adopting these two kitties, they're so lucky to have found you. Your boy may well be cold if he's not been clipped long- my persian boy had to have a lion clip a few times and in winter he found it very shivery until it started to grow back. (Although he loved burrowing too just because! ) It sounds like you're doing all the right things for him! Most kitties are nocturnal but some are more nocturnal than others You may find that when his friend is living with you that they'll keep each other busy at night. Very best wishes to you and your new family! Keep us posted and please can we see some pics????
post #5 of 18
Would putting a "coat" on him be detrimental to his fur growing back?
post #6 of 18
My cats like going under the covers!!!
post #7 of 18
I wish my kitties liked snuggle under the covers, they would keep my feet a little warmer. I've seen shaved kitties at Petsmart (the adoption program) and the Humane Society. I always feel so badly for them. The combo of the shave and being in a cage makes them look pretty sad, although I know the shave is necessary. How wonderful that you adopted your new kitties. I wonder if your kitty is cold as he's probably used to all that fur. Snuggling with the blankets sounds good to me! Sounds like you have quite a sweetie.
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
Would putting a "coat" on him be detrimental to his fur growing back?
I don't know about that, will it harm his fur growing back????? If anyone knows about this please let me know, and I will take it off of him.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapegal45
I wish my kitties liked snuggle under the covers, they would keep my feet a little warmer.

The problem with that is the kneading. It drives me nuts.
post #10 of 18
Why the shaving ? ?

Why do people think they can improve on nature ? ?

My cats like to burrow also, but I am afraid they will suffocate, but they never have, and I am sure that when we are in bed, they burrow to their heart's content.

Leonard.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillycat
Hi!
First of all thanks for adopting an "older kitty" most people want 2 year olds and under. I'm so glad you have him and he's working out for you.

Now about the "burrowing", I have a cat/kitten (she's just under a year) that does the same thing! I can't figure out why. Our house is always VERY warm, as I get cold easily so I don't *think* it's a temperature thing (at least with my girl), but I think she may be hiding. We have 5 other kitties and maybe it's my girls way of getting some "alone" time. I was thinking maybe it's a security thing with your little boy since he's new to you? I guess time will tell. I think it's a very cute habit....to see the little bump in the bed, ya know?

I wish you best of luck with this boy and the "friend" that you are planning to adopt for him. Thank you for taking her too....
Laura.

It very well may be a securiy thing, or even as your kitty, to get some alone time as he was with 9 other kitties prior to comming here, so he may just be so used to it, so he continues to do it. he is now exploring all over my house, he just visited with me here on the computer desk, and then lay down on the chair beside me for a rest. He's off to explore some more. He is fine with my dog, but my dog is a bit of a scootch, he keeps getting in his face, so I put him in his room downstairs for a bit, so Perriwinkle(the kity)can explore without being bugged.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
He sounds lovely! Congratulations and how wonderful you're adopting these two kitties, they're so lucky to have found you. Your boy may well be cold if he's not been clipped long- my persian boy had to have a lion clip a few times and in winter he found it very shivery until it started to grow back. (Although he loved burrowing too just because! ) It sounds like you're doing all the right things for him! Most kitties are nocturnal but some are more nocturnal than others You may find that when his friend is living with you that they'll keep each other busy at night. Very best wishes to you and your new family! Keep us posted and please can we see some pics????
If only I knew how to submit photos, I would. I am going to try and attempt it tomorrow, as I have taken a bunch of cute photos of him. H looks so cute with his sweater on. In one of the photos, he look like a stufed animal.I love him so much already, it's an awsome feeling!!!!
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
He sounds lovely! Congratulations and how wonderful you're adopting these two kitties, they're so lucky to have found you. Your boy may well be cold if he's not been clipped long- my persian boy had to have a lion clip a few times and in winter he found it very shivery until it started to grow back. (Although he loved burrowing too just because! ) It sounds like you're doing all the right things for him! Most kitties are nocturnal but some are more nocturnal than others You may find that when his friend is living with you that they'll keep each other busy at night. Very best wishes to you and your new family! Keep us posted and please can we see some pics????
If only I knew how to submit photos, I would. I am going to try and attempt it tomorrow, as I have taken a bunch of cute photos of him. He looks so cute with his sweater on. In one of the photos, he look like a stufed animal.I love him so much already, it's an awsome feeling!!!!
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
He sounds lovely! Congratulations and how wonderful you're adopting these two kitties, they're so lucky to have found you. Your boy may well be cold if he's not been clipped long- my persian boy had to have a lion clip a few times and in winter he found it very shivery until it started to grow back. (Although he loved burrowing too just because! ) It sounds like you're doing all the right things for him! Most kitties are nocturnal but some are more nocturnal than others You may find that when his friend is living with you that they'll keep each other busy at night. Very best wishes to you and your new family! Keep us posted and please can we see some pics????
Thank-you so much for the well wishes!!!
If only I knew how to submit photos, I would. I am going to try and attempt it tomorrow, as I have taken a bunch of cute photos of him. He looks so cute with his sweater on. In one of the photos, he look like a stufed animal.I love him so much already, it's an awsome feeling!!!!
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by winwin
Why the shaving ? ?

Why do people think they can improve on nature ? ?

My cats like to burrow also, but I am afraid they will suffocate, but they never have, and I am sure that when we are in bed, they burrow to their heart's content.

Leonard.
He was shaved by his foster mom because when she got him he was severly matted, and beyond grooming, so that is why. I never even knew people actually do this "Lion Cut" intentionally to their poor sweet kitties, I know I never would,I feel so bad for him.
post #16 of 18
Some cats love to burrow - Dushka and Ellie both go right under the covers, whether I am in there or not, but Persil will only explore a moment and hten come out. Other cats I have had refused to put their heads under a cover at all and liked to curl up on top of the bed or whatever. I don't think they could suffocate under a loose duvet, at least if they are not tiny kittens - instinct would get them out pretty quickly if necessary.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlearn
He was shaved by his foster mom because when she got him he was severly matted, and beyond grooming, so that is why. I never even knew people actually do this "Lion Cut" intentionally to their poor sweet kitties, I know I never would,I feel so bad for him.
For a long-haired cat such as a Persian, the Lion Cut is really the kinder thing to do if you live in a warmer climate. All that fur can be very hot in the summer months!

~gf~
post #18 of 18
it could be because he is cold or he could just like it what ever the reason burrowing is normal. i dont think having him in a coat will stop his hair but take it off every once in a while and and have it semi lose so he has room maybe find like an heating pad and put it some where on a very low setting that might help if cold
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Burrowing