TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › anxious for kitties.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

anxious for kitties.....

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
hi cat people, i am new here .....
stella my beautiful queen. found me on new years day, as any good mother would do..she was "due" according to the vet on friday, as of now she has not made any nest, she is sleepier then usual and it looks like a war inside her tummy, i dont want to take her temp as i dont want to stress her out, but can you recommend any other things i should be looking out for...im getting very anxious, this is my first litter.
thanks
post #2 of 20
li0xnis..one quick question...you say your queen found you...is she a purebred? If not, I would recommend you consider having her spayed once the litter is born.

Katie
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by li0xnis
hi cat people, i am new here .....
stella my beautiful queen. found me on new years day, as any good mother would do..she was "due" according to the vet on friday, as of now she has not made any nest, she is sleepier then usual and it looks like a war inside her tummy, i dont want to take her temp as i dont want to stress her out, but can you recommend any other things i should be looking out for...im getting very anxious, this is my first litter.
thanks
Mine did that too. Really no nesting behavior or anything untill the day she went into labor. If she's sleeping a lot and there's a lot of movement I would say it should happen within a week.
I knew she was in labor because I could see contractions. Her tummy would get hard and rise up and you could tell she was in pain. And when she went into labor she tried to poo a bunch of times but was unable except for the occasional diarreha. My cat was at day 69 before finally going into labor so don't worry.
post #4 of 20
This website has helped people before, perhaps it will help you?

http://www.cat-pregnancy-report.com/
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
in brooklyn new york it is rare that you find a purebred wandering the streets, she is a domestic short hair mut, all gray with striking mustard orange eyes, i will have her spayed, the vet offered to do it when i found out she was pregnant but i thought that to be a little cruel. so as of this morning lots of burying the floor last night, under the bed behind the tub. everywhere but the box, i made for her, also she hates the cat bed i bought, just a small sheep wool cushion thing,
this morning she was a little slow to start eating breakfast but she has begun.
as i sit and wait every once in a while she yells at me... no contraction but a little tension in her feet
to bengal babe, those kittens are too cute , ive never seen such spotted kitties....
post #6 of 20
li0xnis...the reason I asked is that this section is for breeders. I understand your wanting to post under this section...but I am going to ask that it be moved to a more appropriate section.

Katie
post #7 of 20
Good luck with the new arrivals! I hope all goes well!
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1
li0xnis...the reason I asked is that this section is for breeders. I understand your wanting to post under this section...but I am going to ask that it be moved to a more appropriate section.

Katie
I tried to ask where I should post this stuff (I have a stray who is ready to deliver any minute) and I don't believe I got an answer, maybe I did, but I must not have seen it. So I guess I am in the wrong place as well. I asked it in the first post that I posted on New Cats on the Block. I don't believe anyone answered where I should post a qeustion about a pregnant cat. In fact, I saw in the Health part where something was moved to the breeders part that was about a pregnant cat (not necessarily a bred cat).

What *IS* the more appropriate section, if you don't mind me asking?

Summing it up for me personally... I have a rescue cat that we may keep who is pregnant (and please no one start, she will be fixed as soon as possible... I saved her from having her babies aborted and from having being killed at a kill shelter). I had questions about the pregnancy in general. I posted here as I read other posts that weren't necessarily breeders posts were here, and no one could answer that question for me... I guess I was wrong?

So where does this fit?

In my opinion, there should be more specifics, it would save a lot of problems and stepped on toes. In Health and Nutrition, you don't get much response for pregnant cats. In Breeders room, yes you do. It's about labor... signs of labor... etc. and only people who have BEEN THERE DONE THAT are going to be able to help and share. It's not about breeding or not breeding, it is about labor which only certain people have experienced. People who have been through a pregnant cat who aren't breeders don't necessarily "live it" every day and may not be as interested in talking about it every time you turn around.

JMHO but there should be some specifics for people passing through here...

Maybe I am just overly sensitive but I have worked way too hard to establish myself in life, I don't have time for the petty stuff.... so sorry, but I'm outta here... just can't see having to walk on eggshells worrying about where I put something. I just don't have time for this. Being on the net is not a priority I feel I need to put any more energy into.
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
we are in the same boat, i too am bothered about this posting being moved as i believe the answers o my questions will come from the breeders corner...but any way where are you in this thing, stella has stopped eating and is sleeping all day, with the occasionally, nesting thing, and meow....how about you
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirque
Good luck with the new arrivals! I hope all goes well!
thank you for your support i m so nervous, i have to go to work in the morning and am considering not going.......oh well!?!
post #11 of 20
There are actually many people who are not breeders who can provide you information regarding a pregnant cat.

Katie
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
yes but it seems there is active and current conversation about pregnancy in that forum, i am not alone in this opinion, and you would think that there would be a more delineated forum for such an impostant issue....this one doesnt really seem like the one. and besides it is exciting to look at bengal babies...in anticipation
post #13 of 20
It is true that breeders do have posts regarding their pregnancies....however depending on the question, sometimes the mods believe it could be better addressed in another forum. I really hope I haven't offended you...it wasn't meant that way at all.

Katie

P.S. I am very glad to read that you are planning to have this cat spayed once her litter is born.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by li0xnis
yes but it seems there is active and current conversation about pregnancy in that forum, i am not alone in this opinion, and you would think that there would be a more delineated forum for such an impostant issue....this one doesnt really seem like the one. and besides it is exciting to look at bengal babies...in anticipation
I second that motion-the best place for pregnancy answers is here in the breeder forum-unless there is in the future a seperate forum set up for pregnancy/breeding.
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
so stella gave birth last night to five little ones, a little grey rainbow one grey two black one marble one tiger. it seemed like an easy birth. she had them in a very inconvenient spot however near the radiator, i tried to move them into the bpx this morning but she ran and got them...now i have to go to work and am nervous about leaving them....anysuggestions?
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbabe
I second that motion-the best place for pregnancy answers is here in the breeder forum-unless there is in the future a seperate forum set up for pregnancy/breeding.
Bengal..it depends on the type of question...by the way..this is in Health and Nutrition now.

Katie
post #17 of 20
The momcat wants her babies to be warm. Near the radiator is a good choice for newborn kitties to be.


What matters now is the health of the newborns. Trust that the mom is going to choose the best spot for her babies. As long as they are not in a major traffic area, and can go fairly undisturbed, and that they are warm and mom is staying with all of them. I would not move them. If you keep messing with them she may turn aggressive on you, or hide them so well you won't find them for a couple of days.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by li0xnis
so stella gave birth last night to five little ones, a little grey rainbow one grey two black one marble one tiger. it seemed like an easy birth. she had them in a very inconvenient spot however near the radiator, i tried to move them into the bpx this morning but she ran and got them...now i have to go to work and am nervous about leaving them....anysuggestions?
How close to the radiator? Is there any chance of them getting burned? If not i'd leave them untill they start moving pretty good around on thier own and then try to find a better spot for them. I wouldn't want them burned.
post #19 of 20
Congrats on your new arrivals!!
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1
li0xnis...the reason I asked is that this section is for breeders. I understand your wanting to post under this section...but I am going to ask that it be moved to a more appropriate section.

Katie

Seems a bit...elitist. Are you saying that you won't share your knowledge because this is a rescued cat rather than a purebred?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › anxious for kitties.....