I can make a tutorial for you right in this post. First, I'm going to assume that you don't have Photoshop or another photo editing program and that you're willing to download Irfanview, which is free:http://www.download.com/IrfanView/30...ml?tag=lst-0-1
1. Install Irfanview. During installation you don't have to associate it with all the files it lists. You can still open what you want without checking anything there.
2. Start up Irfanview. Click on "File" at the top and then "Open" in the drop-down list.
3. You will see a new window asking where to "Look In:" for the file. If there aren't any photos in that folder, click on the down arrow and click through the folders until you find a folder with photos in it. Select the photo you want and click the "Open" button.
4. Once you've opened the photo, click and drag the mouse arrow to make a box over the area that you'd like to make into an avatar. Note that the pixel size will change as you're dragging. You're not resizing the pic yet, but keep watching the numbers and keep adjusting your drag until they are the same. Let go of the mouse button.
5. Now you have a box. If it is positioned a bit off, right-click in the middle of the box, hold the right button down and drag the box to adjust it. This will only move the box and not change the size of it.
6. Click on "Edit" at the top and then choose "Crop Selection" from the drop-down list.
7. Now it is time to resize to 50 x 50. Click on "Image" and select "Resize/Resample..." from the drop-down list. Change those numbers to 50 and click on OK.
8. Click on "File" and the seclect "Save As". This way you can change the name of the newly cropped photo to avoid overwriting your original. Click on the "Save" button.