TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My Mom, Dad and Myself
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Mom, Dad and Myself

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Here's what I go through.........My Dad is deaf but wears hearing aids, my Mom is losing her hearing but does not wear hearing aids.

I'll say something to my Mom and she'll ask "What?" and I'll repeat it, and she'll ask "What, I can't hear you?" so I then talk VERY LOUD so she can, then my Dad will walk in and say, "What's all the yelling about, stop yelling at your Mother!" I give up!

post #2 of 20
Cheryl just hope that i never get to see your mum and dad because the minute i clap eyes on them i'd just crack up!!!
post #3 of 20
LOL That is too funny. Sounds like my parents with the TV... ugh. Gives me a headache!
post #4 of 20
that is so funny, i can just imagine it
post #5 of 20
I have the same problem, my husband is slowly losing his hearing. He has four hearing aids, but he won't wear them past a week, because they are too noisy.....sigh....

I have come up with a system. When I want his attention I flick the lights. He looks up, I walk over to his good side and speak loudly- then I leave. But what I hate is the television control- he has to have it so LOUD to hear it and I have the hearing of a bat. It drives me nuts and the computer and the television is in the same room. And people ask me why my book is so slow in coming along! LOL
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
But what I hate is the television control- he has to have it so LOUD to hear it and I have the hearing of a bat. It drives me nuts and the computer and the television is in the same room. And people ask me why my book is so slow in coming along! LOL
I don't think I have real hearing problems, I just think I do. And so instead of having the TV on real loud... I put the closed captioning on. I've done it since I was a kid... makes people think I'm weird but I like it.
post #7 of 20
Dang. Sounds like my parents. Except -- dad does NOT wearing hearing aids because HIS HEARING IS JUST FINE DANG IT.

Mom doesn't need hearing aids either because SHE IS NOT DEAF.

Hard to hear over at that house when I pick my daughter up after work every day; dad's retired now so the TV is all the way UP and mom has to YELL everything to everyone.

But, dad is NOT DEAF.
post #8 of 20
This will give you a chuckle!

When my dear sweet Mom was with us, she had to wear a hearing aid. My older brother is a tease. One day he was standing at the kitchen counter with his wife and just making his lips move as though he was talking. As he did this he watched my mom keep turning up the hearing aid. Thank goodness she had a good sense of humour.
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
But what I hate is the television control- he has to have it so LOUD to hear it and I have the hearing of a bat. It drives me nuts and the computer and the television is in the same room. LOL
I laughed so hard at this! Our TV goes up to volume 60. My Mom sets it on 55!!!!!!! My Dad lowers the volume on his hearing aids to watch TV with my Mom!
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeyedgirl
Dang. Sounds like my parents. Except -- dad does NOT wearing hearing aids because HIS HEARING IS JUST FINE DANG IT.

Mom doesn't need hearing aids either because SHE IS NOT DEAF.

Hard to hear over at that house when I pick my daughter up after work every day; dad's retired now so the TV is all the way UP and mom has to YELL everything to everyone.

But, dad is NOT DEAF.
Exactly. My Mom tells me she hears "Just Fine", that it's me who is "talking lower than normal".
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiemac
Cheryl just hope that i never get to see your mum and dad because the minute i clap eyes on them i'd just crack up!!!
I could just show my Mom this thread and highlight to her what you wrote, ya know.
post #12 of 20
This is awful. An old guy that worked at our place years ago had a hearing aid, and he used to stand right beside the speaker on the PA system.

I could see him from my office window, and if i went to speak over the PA it would blast through his hearing aid and he'd quickly put his hand over it to switch it down

Awwwwwwwww that could be me in 20 years time!!!!
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiemac
Awwwwwwwww that could be me in 20 years time!!!!
That may be me in a few months at the rate that I'm going, hearing their TV turned up to Volume 55
post #14 of 20
That's classic!!
post #15 of 20
Quote:
But what I hate is the television control- he has to have it so LOUD to hear it and I have the hearing of a bat. It drives me nuts and the computer and the television is in the same room. And people ask me why my book is so slow in coming along! LOL
Hissy, my father is near deaf (selective hearing if you ask me). My mother has noise sensitivity issues and HATES the T.V on loud. We solved the problem by purchasing a set of wireless headphones. The base plugs into the T.V audio out jack and my dad can listen as loud as he wants through the headphones and the rest of the house doesn't have to listen to the T.V at all if we choose not to! They work great and my dad can actually hear whole conversations through the headphones that he would miss if he listened to the T.V the normal way.
post #16 of 20
well.. Both of my parents ARE deaf,
One day i came home to find the tv full blast on the italian news.
I asked my dad why it was on and he said because he liked the viabration...
But then i was having an arguement with my mum and she was screaming at me and he said
STOP IT YOURE BOTH GIVING ME A HEADACHE WITH YOUR ANNOYING VOICES!
Is it just me or is he getting his hearing back???
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan
well.. Both of my parents ARE deaf,
One day i came home to find the tv full blast on the italian news.
I asked my dad why it was on and he said because he liked the viabration...
But then i was having an arguement with my mum and she was screaming at me and he said
STOP IT YOURE BOTH GIVING ME A HEADACHE WITH YOUR ANNOYING VOICES!
Is it just me or is he getting his hearing back???
Perhaps he just didn't like the way you vibrated?
post #18 of 20
Growing up my Mom was always hearing impaired, she lost her hearing to an infection as a child. She always wears her hearing aids though, is it was easy to communicate with her. She did however turn her hearing aids off if she didn't like the music I was listening to.

My Dad on the other hand is loosing his hearing and has the TV blasting everytime I'm over there. He refuses to wear his hearing aids because they're uncomfortable.

So Mom gripes at Dad to turn the TV down and Dad gripes at Mom to turn her hearing aids down, it's horribly funny in a sad way.
post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayKittenLove
Growing up my Mom was always hearing impaired, she lost her hearing to an infection as a child. She always wears her hearing aids though, is it was easy to communicate with her. She did however turn her hearing aids off if she didn't like the music I was listening to.

My Dad on the other hand is loosing his hearing and has the TV blasting everytime I'm over there. He refuses to wear his hearing aids because they're uncomfortable.

So Mom gripes at Dad to turn the TV down and Dad gripes at Mom to turn her hearing aids down, it's horribly funny in a sad way.
Yes, it is sad. I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh though!

Sounds just like my parents!
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover67
Hissy, my father is near deaf (selective hearing if you ask me). My mother has noise sensitivity issues and HATES the T.V on loud. We solved the problem by purchasing a set of wireless headphones. The base plugs into the T.V audio out jack and my dad can listen as loud as he wants through the headphones and the rest of the house doesn't have to listen to the T.V at all if we choose not to! They work great and my dad can actually hear whole conversations through the headphones that he would miss if he listened to the T.V the normal way.
This is a great suggestion, especially when people refuse to use closed captioning. We tried to talk my father into using headphones, but he claimed they hurt his ears.
In our house, my husband has the opposite problem. I'm hearing impaired (and it's getting worse), and learned lip reading as a child. Since I rarely watch anything but news, I don't bother turning the volume up, and he (normal hearing) keeps complaining about it. For regular shows, I use closed captioning.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My Mom, Dad and Myself