TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Education cuts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Education cuts

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
That a** is cuting education AGAIN!!! :censor::censor::censor:!!!! Why did anyone vote for him..... WHy increase Iraq budget when you can't pay for the things we need here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #2 of 26
Not just education, but also Medicaid and environmental protection programs, among others. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Feb7.html
http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html
Is Congress going to go along? I doubt it - many are already thinking about the 2006 elections, and Bush is a lame duck.
post #3 of 26
I didn't vote for him, and don't know why he won . The public education system where I am is a joke, and I am (hopefully ) moving out of the state, to somewhere better, and now Bush, is going to cut deeper into a failing system. It is a shame. Our children's education should be a priority , instead it is a joke. The no child left behind act, just makes it worse, children are being pushed to learn things they arent ready for, and not learning what they should. I could just cry thinking about it. 4 more years of this idiot!
post #4 of 26
Thread Starter 
Why make tax cuts perminate when you can't afford them!!!!
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburgess
Why make tax cuts perminate when you can't afford them!!!!
Because one hand washes the other? Those who benefit the most are those who made the biggest campaign contributions. Unfortunately, that's the way the system works, no matter what parties or countries are involved.
post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 
Is he why you left Jcat???? I don't blame you................ my firends and I are thinking of moving to canada or England to get away from that a**hole
post #7 of 26
Apparenlty it only contains military costs through Sept so we will go into that much more debt. I know, I don't know who voted for this loser, but I know it was people who will be hurt by his policies. Karl Rove did a great job of making it appear his guy was for the common values man, but in reality he is only for his cronies. Middle class and lower class people are literally insane if they support this man's priorities.
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburgess
Is he why you left Jcat???? I don't blame you................ my firends and I are thinking of moving to canada or England to get away from that a**hole
No, I left (1982) because I was married to a German, and my German was better than his English. Still is, as a matter of fact.
post #9 of 26
I listened to a member of the military, just home from Iraq, who praised what is going on over there. He also said that the media makes things sound a lot worse than they are and doesn't focus at all on all the good that has come out of US presence in Iraq. He also noted that if the US pulled out now, we are doing a disservice to those who have given their lives.
post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb25
I listened to a member of the military, just home from Iraq, who praised what is going on over there. He also said that the media makes things sound a lot worse than they are and doesn't focus at all on all the good that has come out of US presence in Iraq. He also noted that if the US pulled out now, we are doing a disservice to those who have given their lives.
What is more important..... Have kids here in the US being able to read and write or getting people killed in Iraq. I'm sorry but our government priority should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be domestic affairs. worry about education, healthcare.... ect BEFORE INVADING ANOTHER COUNTRY!!!! Bush's priorities are wrong and have been wrong four the past 4 years and will be for the next four years.
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat
No, I left (1982) because I was married to a German, and my German was better than his English. Still is, as a matter of fact.
Ohhhhh...... That's a good reason too...
post #12 of 26
Yeah see that's the problem, we can't go around invading other countries when we have problems at home.

well hang in there, we all have to.
post #13 of 26
and bush wonders why the suicide rate goes up among teens...
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb25
I listened to a member of the military, just home from Iraq, who praised what is going on over there. He also said that the media makes things sound a lot worse than they are and doesn't focus at all on all the good that has come out of US presence in Iraq. He also noted that if the US pulled out now, we are doing a disservice to those who have given their lives.
We can't pull out now, but I don't think at the same time looking at things with rosy glasses is wise either. for every one service man or woman who says positive things, I hear 10 who say otherwise.

And you know, it's the responsibility of Americans to find media outlets they trust. With out the press you don't have democracy. I trust Leher hour. I don't watch major network news. But to lump ALL media into one is dangerous. Try BBC too. Digging our head into the sand isn't American. Sorry, but it's grossly irresponsible.
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburgess
What is more important..... Have kids here in the US being able to read and write or getting people killed in Iraq. I'm sorry but our government priority should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be domestic affairs. worry about education, healthcare.... ect BEFORE INVADING ANOTHER COUNTRY!!!! Bush's priorities are wrong and have been wrong four the past 4 years and will be for the next four years.
I work for the educational system. While we aren't rolling in money, it is often there, but often not spent well.
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb25
I work for the educational system. While we aren't rolling in money, it is often there, but often not spent well.
I have worked in education for 20 years, the money isn't there.
post #17 of 26
I'm sure all school districts aren't the same, but I work for the 9th largest in the nation. I also have done a lot of coursework in the state financing system, at least in my state. I disagree.

I also heard another extensive interview with a squadron commander in Iraq on NPR today. Quite interesting, and he was another who completely supports the US effort in Iraq. He felt that the millions of Iraqis who have been butchered by Hussein and the freedom we are helping to provide for the citizens of that country completely justify the US presence there. It was quite an interesting interview, as NPR often does not air this type of story.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb25
I'm sure all school districts aren't the same, but I work for the 9th largest in the nation. I also have done a lot of coursework in the state financing system, at least in my state. I disagree.

I also heard another extensive interview with a squadron commander in Iraq on NPR today. Quite interesting, and he was another who completely supports the US effort in Iraq. He felt that the millions of Iraqis who have been butchered by Hussein and the freedom we are helping to provide for the citizens of that country completely justify the US presence there. It was quite an interesting interview, as NPR often does not air this type of story.
Since we are there,I think it's important to look at the best, and support our incredible men and women. But...that doesn't mean there aren't major problems. there are new problems blooming over there. For instance, Iran is a primarily Shiah nation. Who voted in vast numbers in the Iraq election? The Shiah's... (Saddam was Sunni) Did you ever stop to think about why the US is suddenly more concerned about Iran's nuclear capablity NOW? There are reports that Iran had a lot to to with voter turn out. It's not hard to figure out that one out. You gotta realize religion is everything to these people. What does this mean? How influential with a Shiah Iran then have in Iraq? Take a guess....
post #19 of 26
Hmm, I don't suppose that the fact that over 60% of the population in Iraq being Shiite and the fact that they were repressed (to put it lightly) for the past 25+ years could have anything to do with the vote and voter turnout?
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
Hmm, I don't suppose that the fact that over 60% of the population in Iraq being Shiite and the fact that they were repressed (to put it lightly) for the past 25+ years could have anything to do with the vote and voter turnout?
It did but this is a problem, I heard reports that Iran did intervene. Which makes sense. This is a set up for a problem, I mean who will they align with us or their neighbor who is religiously united with them? religion is bigger over there than we can even imagine here. It's like breathing. You gotta realize we have this mythology about demcracy, they have religion. It's more sacred than
our view of our founding fathers.
post #21 of 26
Ummm...folks? Aren't we getting somewhat off topic here? I know other government policies have a bearing on the budget that's getting cut in the eduction area (the topic of the thread, if you remember), but we seem to be in Iraq again. [sigh] Maybe we could return to education, or start a new thread about whatever Iraq issues we want to discuss?
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47
Ummm...folks? Aren't we getting somewhat off topic here? I know other government policies have a bearing on the budget that's getting cut in the eduction area (the topic of the thread, if you remember), but we seem to be in Iraq again. [sigh] Maybe we could return to education, or start a new thread about whatever Iraq issues we want to discuss?
I know what your saying, but unfortunately this war is making education take a hit so it's all part of it. It's also taking away from medicare for seniors, and medical benefits for others (including vets ironically by the way...)
While we have dumb people in charge the country will be hurt. Colin Powell called these guys nuts, and this stuff is why he said that. But people who get hurt by them keep voting them in so why shouldn't they?
post #23 of 26
You know .. if the School systems would allow for preventative measures in regards to over crowding it would cost less in the long run to run and develop the schools.

IE. Schools around here are being built and expanded only to have trailers put in 6 months later. If we built schools with double or triple the neccesary capacity, for once, it would cost less than the constant enlarging/rebuilding of old schools to accomodate our growing population.

Personally I feel that this is one of the biggest errors in judgement BY the school boards, at least locally. Sure, the initial cost is tremendious, but it would be sooo much better, financially. Also, being a former year round school attendee, I think that that is a seriously good way to cut costs as far as buildings are concerned. I think that there are problems when over 90% of school supplies comes out of the teachers pocket, when the teachers make 18-35k a year, which isn't enough to cover the cost of living if you have a family.

Budget cuts will be detrimental and prohibitive if they want to hire more teachers for schools that are already at maximum class size capacity here. (25-30 kids per teacher, with no assistants here.) They are instating new school policies and bad school programs which are less expensive to the schools, but also far lesser in the quality of education they provide. (trailblazers, for example is an "experiencing mathematics" program, which requires students to naturally come to an understanding of mathematical theory. In the program, it is less important whether the actual answers are correct, as long as the process of getting the answer is.)

I don't know what to say, other than that the schools are running out of corners to cut, given that their current spending habits are ineffectual at best, detrimental, usually the case.

It make sme sad.
post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
The thing I find odd about West Virginia is that the "school district" is the county. Some counties have 1 high school, one middle school and one elementry school. Can you even imagine a system like that!! I can't
post #25 of 26
Krugman has a good column about the budget. We really need to be more active if we are against all of this. this is wrong and not what America is about. And I am sorry, callme bitchy but why oh why oh WHY do low income cat people vote for this man? Explain it to me,ok? I mean I know and accept who I am and vote accordingly. do lower income people who voted for him *think* you are one of the "beautiful people" or something?


http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/11/op...11krugman.html
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburgess
The thing I find odd about West Virginia is that the "school district" is the county. Some counties have 1 high school, one middle school and one elementry school. Can you even imagine a system like that!! I can't
In the New Jersey area where I grew up, for the most part, each town was its own school district. My small town's district was, and still is, a single K-8 school. We went to high school in the next town, although these days, there is a regional high school that a few towns attend.

A far cry from where I now work: a district with over 200 schools, 100+ of which are elementary schools, and we add more new schools every year.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Education cuts