TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › What kind of cat tree/condo do your kitties have?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What kind of cat tree/condo do your kitties have?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
The other night, I finally bought my guys a cat tree after some shopping around - I never realised how many different types there are , I had a hard time choosing with all the different options! What kind of tree/condo do your kitties have? If you've had experience with several, what kind do you/your kitties like best (Carpet or fake fur? How tall is ideal? Platforms only, or lots of hammocks and houses, too? Tall, or the wide jungle gym type? Etc., etc.)? I probably would have been better off asking this *before* I actually bought one , but I'm still curious, even though it's too late for that now! Share your cat tree wisdom!

Here's the one I finally ended up deciding on:



So far Henry loves it, and the other three are still making up their minds.
post #2 of 18
That's a cool looking tree!!

I have 5 tall trees and 2 medium sized trees at my house. They like them all, but the best feature on all of them is when the platform has wrap around walls - either all the way around or partially around. The next best feature is a curved platform on one of the trees (almost like a bowl that is missing 2 sides). All of mine like to sleep up high - the higher the better for them.

The feature that they really don't use are any built in caves. I have put cat tents on the platforms and they use those, but those have some give to the walls. Somehow they don't like the wood walls.

All of mine are carpeted with sisal wrapped on the uprights. They really go to town on the sisal. And their favorite location is in a window, followed by a vantage point where they can see a number of rooms at the same time (like a hallway).

Here is a picture of one of mine in use by 5 cats. The platform in the foreground is the curvy one I mentioned above.

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany
That's a cool looking tree!!

I have 5 tall trees and 2 medium sized trees at my house. They like them all, but the best feature on all of them is when the platform has wrap around walls - either all the way around or partially around. The next best feature is a curved platform on one of the trees (almost like a bowl that is missing 2 sides). All of mine like to sleep up high - the higher the better for them.

The feature that they really don't use are any built in caves. I have put cat tents on the platforms and they use those, but those have some give to the walls. Somehow they don't like the wood walls.

All of mine are carpeted with sisal wrapped on the uprights. They really go to town on the sisal. And their favorite location is in a window, followed by a vantage point where they can see a number of rooms at the same time (like a hallway).

Here is a picture of one of mine in use by 5 cats. The platform in the foreground is the curvy one I mentioned above.

Oh, that's a great picture, you can tell they love it!

I didn't see any with the walls around the paltforms when I was looking, wish I had, that's a really great idea.
post #4 of 18
I will put a cat bed, soft pad, or tent on the flat platforms for them. Makes the hard wood a little bit cushier for them. I do have some that just lay on the padding.

I lucked out. I made one of the trees from scrap lumber and carpet that we pulled out of a house so it cost me the price of the nails, glue and staples. The other tall ones were given to me and I've only purchased one of the medium sized ones for $40 from a rescue group.

Have you smothered yours with catnip yet?
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany
I will put a cat bed, soft pad, or tent on the flat platforms for them. Makes the hard wood a little bit cushier for them. I do have some that just lay on the padding.

I lucked out. I made one of the trees from scrap lumber and carpet that we pulled out of a house so it cost me the price of the nails, glue and staples. The other tall ones were given to me and I've only purchased one of the medium sized ones for $40 from a rescue group.
Oh, another good idea about putting a bed of some kind on the platforms - I think I'll give that a try, since my older three aren't sold on it yet.

Was it very difficult to make a cat tree? What exactly is involved in making one?
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper
Was it very difficult to make a cat tree? What exactly is involved in making one?
If you asked me to build another one, I'd politely decline. Scratch posts are easy but an entire tree is hard to do. Cutting the boards and putting them together was the easy part. Carpeting all the nocks and crannies was a real pain in the butt. I made it before sisal became a popular choice and now when I have to repair one of the trees, I just rewrap it in sisal.

What makes it hard to do is that if you use a better quality carpet (which you should or it will not last more than a few months), it is very thick and difficult to cut, even with a good knife. Because I made the platforms with walls, I had to cut out a bunch of little pieces to make it wrap around the walls, then it was stiff enough that it was hard to bend and tack down in place. Making the carpeted base was easier, as it was just a couple of cuts and wrap under the bottom.

When I do scratch posts, I wrap the bottom in carpet, bolt a tree trunk (about 3-4 inch in diameter) onto the base, wrap the trunk in sisal and call it done. If I'm really ambitious I will make a carpeted platform for the top and bolt it to the top of the trunk.
post #7 of 18
I have two for my cat, both from catfiesta. I've been satisfied with them, though i've wished they were better quality. The second one i got just recently does seem to be better contructed.

I mostly use cat trees for marsh to scratch and to jump to something higher or look out the window.

my most recent, their bungalow style. <-- he's still getting used to it.


my old one, marsh really likes it.
post #8 of 18
This is the new one we picked up, they love it. We placed it near the kitchen and it thankfully stopped them from jumping up on the kitchen benches when i'm cooking dinner - coz now they can see everything!!!

It's really a central part of our house, and cost a fortune, but the babies love it and so do we. Every night when I come home they jump up on to it so I can give them love and treats and I brush them, check their teeth/nails/ears.


Full length:




The tube where one of them will often sleep:




Bits down the bottom:




And playing:

post #9 of 18
Aww neat trees! I must find some pics of mine!
post #10 of 18
Miko's Condo (he can't jump that high because of a past injury):


Kionu & Sebastian's tree (my dad made one similiar to this model in the color red & cream):


My parents made one just like this model for their 6 cats:
post #11 of 18
I just love that third one Shanna!
post #12 of 18
Wow. These cat trees totally blow mine away!!! I'm jealous!

I have a very plain floor to ceiling spring-mount kind. It's got 4 square platforms which are screwed in together. All the cats use it, but only one actually plays Tarzan with it and pretends he's king of the world.

- Steph
post #13 of 18
I've heard that having carpet on a tree is a bad idea because it teaches the cats that it's ok to claw carpet and furnature...has anyone experienced such a thing? Chester has a scratching post, and nothing more for the moment, although I am tempted to get him one of those window beds.
post #14 of 18
I just have a tiny one.. a cylinder shaped two story one.. once I move I plan on attempting to make my own.

Since I'm not supposed to have a cat in my apt. I think a huge kitty tree would be a dead give-away!!
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylorna
I've heard that having carpet on a tree is a bad idea because it teaches the cats that it's ok to claw carpet and furnature...has anyone experienced such a thing? Chester has a scratching post, and nothing more for the moment, although I am tempted to get him one of those window beds.
Hrmm, well our cat trees are all carpet, and we've never had any problems. They seem to know to scratch on these. They also have a cane chair that they know they can scratch and that's all they touch.

(Same with our previous cat too)

I think they distinguish between what they walk on and what's upright maybe???
post #16 of 18


Got it on clearance for $26.99 down from $139 or something like that
post #17 of 18
Here's Chloe's tree. It's 5' tall. We got it at Costco for a steal - $65! And yes, she's the dark thing draped over the bottom tier.

post #18 of 18
Jamie has a ceiling-high cat tree with one thick "trunk" to climb up, and two plush-covered "half-shells" to cuddle in. He only uses the highest one nowadays. What's great about this tree is that the plush covers are zippered and easily removable for washing, and both the covers and shells can be bought separately.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › What kind of cat tree/condo do your kitties have?