TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Should I be concerned?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I be concerned?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
My baby, Darcy, had her first vaccinations this morning at aged 9 weeks. The vet asked me to delay them as she was a very sick hand reared prem baby, but her weight is up to almost a pound and a half now, so we went ahead.

The thing is - now some 12hrs later, she seems to be running a slight fever and is lethargic. Should I be concerned? My human babies have sometimes reacted like this to vaccinations, but I dont recall having a cat do it. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 22
I've always been told by the vet to not be surprised if the kitten may be lethargic for a day after being vaccinated. But running a fever? That I'm not sure. I think it's better to observe for 24 hours and if she's not getting any better, I think it's best to call in the vet. Good luck with your baby!
post #3 of 22
I think it would be a good idea to give your vet a call now to ask about the fever - the nurses will be at least able to tell you whether its something to be concerned about.

good luck - keep us updated how she is feeling
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggles
I think it would be a good idea to give your vet a call now to ask about the fever - the nurses will be at least able to tell you whether its something to be concerned about.

good luck - keep us updated how she is feeling
Thanks, I would call them, but I'm in Australia and they are shut now. They do have an emergency after hours number, but its not really an emergency so I dont want to bug them.

Thanks for the good wishes though
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NayaZ
Thanks, I would call them, but I'm in Australia and they are shut now. They do have an emergency after hours number, but its not really an emergency so I dont want to bug them.

Thanks for the good wishes though
yes I knew you were in Australia (as I am). My vet here doesnt close until about 9pm so I thought it would be the same over there - obviously not - sorry.

hope she is feeling better - if she isnt in the morning maybe give them a call then
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggles
My vet here doesnt close until about 9pm so I thought it would be the same over there.
Hehe... you're an aussie too! Doh me. My vet's actually closes at 6pm, a few hours ago now. WA doesn't have 24hr shopping or anything like that, we're a bit behind here. I will see how she goes overnight probably and call them in the morning if she's not ok. I've just never heard of vaccination reactions in cats... and with her having a rough start, I tend to worry more. She's as healthy as a horse normally, just tiny, so I shouldn't worry, but I do!
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NayaZ
and with her having a rough start, I tend to worry more.
well you certainly have come to the right place - we will all worry with you !!!

you dont have 24 hr shopping? what? you are behind arent you
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NayaZ
WA doesn't have 24hr shopping or anything like that, we're a bit behind here.
UGH tell me about it!!
Another Sandgroper here

I hope your kitty is feeling better soon.
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggles
you dont have 24 hr shopping? what? you are behind arent you
Heck yeah! Dont you know WA stands for Wait Awhile?

Seriously though, Poor Darcy really is unwell now I've ended up putting her in my old baby sling because she didn't want to be put down. She's so warm too! I'm thinking maybe she's getting/got the bug that Bella had earlier this week.

Poor baby I know she's sick when she wants to cuddle all the time because she's usually such an on the go baby.
post #10 of 22
The lethergy is fairly normal. What is the temp? Yes kittys can have reactions just like humans, but after 24 hrs they should come around. I know you do not want to bug your vet, but if the temp is significant i would suggest calling to put your mind at ease if nothing else. Good luck Darcy!
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fesavdme
The lethergy is fairly normal. What is the temp? Yes kittys can have reactions just like humans, but after 24 hrs they should come around. I know you do not want to bug your vet, but if the temp is significant i would suggest calling to put your mind at ease if nothing else. Good luck Darcy!
I'm not sure what the temp is, but she's definitely hot. Sorry I dont own a thermometer. Dont even have one for the human babies! When Bella was sick and felt the same, the vet checked her and as far as I can remember she was 39.5 or something.

The good news is that after being totally out of it in the baby sling for over 2hrs, she woke up and had something to eat and a gentle play with Bella. She's back asleep on the couch now, but doesn't seem so hot.
post #12 of 22
Hi Naya,

Several of mine have had similar reactions to their vaccinations - the lethargy and an increaed temperature. In most cases it passed within a day, but with one cat, Abbie, it was two or three days. She was also 'sore' or achy and very obviously uncomfortable after her vaccination. Eventually, we identifed that she had an allergic reaction to the feline leukaemia vaccine so has not received it since. The vet also gives her an antihistimine shot prior to receiving any of her vaccinations as a preventative which has definitely lessened the reaction.

Monitor Darcy overnight and if she starts to get worse, is there an emergency vet you can call? Definitely do call your regular vet in the morning and advise him of Darcy's condition. He may wish to give her an antihistimine shot as well to help her out. It does sound from your last post that the reaction is beginning to resolve, so I hope that is the case and she is back to normal by morning. Do make sure that your vet records this reaction in Darcy's records, however, because it may turn out that she is allergic to one or other of the vaccines, and he may wish to separate out the boosters or the next shots to help identify which one - if any - is the problem. You may wish to request that he considers giving her an antihistimine with the boosters or the other shots she needs to complete the series.

Good luck with her - I know how special the hand raised babies are - I have two who I have raised since they were orphaned at 10 days old and are now thriving 3 year olds.

Kathryn
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Just to let you all know, Darcy is feeling a lot cooler and rather energetic this morning! Thanks for everyones help! I will certainly ring the vet and let them know what happened so next time we can work something out beforehand.

A recent pic too
post #14 of 22
Such a cute kitten! Glad she's feeling much better.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fesavdme
The lethergy is fairly normal. What is the temp? Yes kittys can have reactions just like humans, but after 24 hrs they should come around. I know you do not want to bug your vet, but if the temp is significant i would suggest calling to put your mind at ease if nothing else. Good luck Darcy!

Yes, absolutely. I got Sasha when he was about 4 days old. His mama SiSi was strong as an ox and just 10 months. But when SiSi was vaccinated she would be lethargic a bit, slightly elevated temp for about 12-24 hrs, then fine. Sasha would get very quiet, more within himself, and then come roaring back as a spunky kitten. He too got his first shot at 8 weeks. But it can't hurt to leave a message or voice mail just to give them a heads-up. Excellent advice.
P.S. my brother's wife is from Perth! She lives here in the Seattle area with him. She is still adjusting to the rains....
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashacat421
P.S. my brother's wife is from Perth! She lives here in the Seattle area with him. She is still adjusting to the rains....
Perth is pretty wet for 3 months of the year, but the rest of the time its dry as a bone! Brown and crunchy lol. One of my bestest friends lives in Washington. So I know how wet it is there

Darcy's still a little out of sorts, but heaps better than last night.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NayaZ
Darcy's still a little out of sorts, but heaps better than last night.
I am so pleased to hear that she is feeling a little better

and I love that photo of her always a pleasure welcoming a new black kitty to the boards
post #18 of 22
Naya I am so very glad to hear she's on the upswing. You have an adorable kitten!!!!!
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NayaZ
Darcy, you're so precious! I'm so happy you're feeling better!
post #20 of 22
What a cutie!!
Glad the little one is doing better
post #21 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by byclops
What a cutie!!
Glad the little one is doing better
Thanks! You know I dont think I mentioned before what utterly adorable babies you have! Just gorgeous!

And local too lol.

I'm out in the hills? You?
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NayaZ
Thanks! You know I dont think I mentioned before what utterly adorable babies you have! Just gorgeous!

And local too lol.

I'm out in the hills? You?
Awww thanks
SOR - Near Southlands Boulevarde if you know where that is
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Should I be concerned?