Drontal

harley587

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know if you can crush Drontal and mix with water to administer with a syringe? Please advise. Thank you

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there's difficulty giving pills to your cat, I suggest you switch to liquid meds for syringe applications.

If the above is not an option, you can cut the pill in half so it's easier to swallow and give it twice. I think diluting it in water may affect the potency of the dewormer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harley587

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you yayi. I will speak to my vet today.

Originally Posted by yayi

If there's difficulty giving pills to your cat, I suggest you switch to liquid meds for syringe applications.

If the above is not an option, you can cut the pill in half so it's easier to swallow and give it twice. I think diluting it in water may affect the potency of the dewormer.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I used to think liquid was more difficult to administer, but it's not. Have your vet show you how if possible.

If the above is not an option, you can cut the pill in half so it's easier to swallow and give it twice.
- unless it's coated.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by harley587

Does anyone know if you can crush Drontal and mix with water to administer with a syringe? Please advise. Thank you
I tried giving my kitten liquid medication in a syrange and part of it went on me!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's bitter then it's going to be difficult either way.

We bought the Pill Pockets, cut the pill in half and folded that into the pocket. The kitties ate them all up like the good little boy and girl they are.

We got the Pill Pockets at the local pet supply store.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

If it's bitter then it's going to be difficult either way.

We bought the Pill Pockets, cut the pill in half and folded that into the pocket. The kitties ate them all up like the good little boy and girl they are.

We got the Pill Pockets at the local pet supply store.
I forgot about the pill pockets and don't have any. Can't get out now. Have to finish shoveling my driveway.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it's available in the US, but over here we have a spot on wormer called Profender. Much easier than giving pills/liquids.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find it easier for me to give pills then liquid - especially the amoxie stuff
My fingers are little enough to push that pill down the throat without getting bit.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used a pill dispenser with great sucess. It's like a syringe that you put the pill in the tip and then push the end of the syringe and the pill goes down the throat. You still have to hold their mouths closed for a minute after but it goes down a lot easier and faster. Here's a link to one similar to what I have:
http://Pill DispenserPill Dispenser

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had success in giving my kitty Drontal by crushing it up and mixing it in with his wet food. He eats it a bit slower, but he eventually does eat it all. Once, he didn't wanna finish the last little bit (no matter how I tried to coax him), so I mixed in a /tiny/ bit of heavy cream and he ate it right up. I know dairy isn't particularly good for them, but the small amount I gave him didn't make his tummy upset.. and he's got a sensitive stomach.