TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My relatives are driving me nuts!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My relatives are driving me nuts!

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I am 31 weeks pregnant and own 5 cats. We tried for 5 years to get pregnant and finally did it through fertility treatments. I have had so many family members, friends and even aquaintances ask when we are getting rid of my cats that it is driving me insane. When I tell them that I have no plan to get rid of the cats, that the cats are in fact older "brothers and sisters" to my baby they get this judging look on their face. The ones that know me best try to then keep their opinions to themselves. Others, however can't help it. They all have to offer their opinion on how the cat will sit on the baby and kill it or something equally tragic. I just tell them that the kid is so used to purring already (4 out of 5 cats love sitting on the belly) that the baby won't be able to sleep without the cat nearby. Plus I think Merlin is looking for a disciple of evil (he is my cat that is the main trouble causer). I can see Merlina and the baby (when he is big enough) gaining up on mommy and daddy. How do I get them to mind their own business!
post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adymarie
How do I get them to mind their own business!
Smile sweetly and say, "I appreciate your concern but, it is MY baby, MY cats, MY home and MY rules...........................................

(Scroll down)




















BUGGER OFF!
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Sounds like a plan - I told them when I was trying so desparately to get preggers and they kept asking when we were having a baby "if I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I's put shoes on my cat".

I like the option you gave, but my grandmother would smack upside the head if I ever said that to her!
post #4 of 20
Yes i agree!
If these people even knew you! they wouldnt even dare to say to get rid of your cats.
If you are a responsible owner and mother which i am sure that you are, the baby wont die from them!

The only thing that can harm the baby is that if you clean cat litter while pregnant.
I know when i get pregnant i wont be getting rid of my cat.
post #5 of 20
You poor darlin'. I know how you feel exactly.

I went through all the same stuff when I was pregnant. My family doctor (bless his sweet soul) said, "I wish everyone would mind their own business when you get pregnant - they just get everyone all upset with their advice and stories".

My Siamese cat sat on my lap while I breast-fed our daughter. I did that deliberately so she would know she was not being replaced as she was pretty much a one-owner cat (me).

When Jennifer was able to crawl, she would pull Susie's tail and ears and that cat never once hurt my baby. In fact, Jennifer could get away with things with that cat that only I could ever do.

Enjoy all your babies.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adymarie
Sounds like a plan - I told them when I was trying so desparately to get preggers and they kept asking when we were having a baby "if I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I's put shoes on my cat".

I like the option you gave, but my grandmother would smack upside the head if I ever said that to her!
Well, that might be a bit strong, for one's grandmother.

I had the same problem, with my first MIL. We had a cockapoo, who was very spoiled and MIL From Hell swore that Penny was going to be jealous and hurt Richard. Penny didn't even notice the baby, for three days and, when she did, all that happened was she sniffed him from stem to stern, licked him on top of his head and went off to play. Occasionally, she curled up at the foot of Richard's crib but, she preferred to sleep with me. As Richard got older, he and Penny chased each other around the yard and Penny taught Richard to bark at strangers.

WHY do people get so paranoid about mixing kids and pets? Right now, I'm keeping Pearl away from the twins but, that's just because Pearl is so rambunctious and would probably knock them over. Pearl loves kids.
post #7 of 20
* Rules for non-pet owners who visit and like to complain about our pets.
I got this off here one day and I put my cats pictures on it and made a personal rules for non pet lovers poster. you should modify this and post it on your door for the next time your family stops by...
1. The cats live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want cat hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.

3. I like my cats a lot better than I like most people.

4. To you, he's a cat. To me, he's an adopted son who is short, hairy, walks on all fours and doesn't speak very good English.

5. My cats are better than kids. They eat less, don't ask for money all the time, are easier to train, sometimes come when called, never drive your car, don't hang out with drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about buying the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes, don't need a gazillion dollars for college, and you can sterilize them so they don't get pregnant
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugen
* Rules for non-pet owners who visit and like to complain about our pets.
I got this off here one day and I put my cats pictures on it and made a personal rules for non pet lovers poster. you should modify this and post it on your door for the next time your family stops by...
1. The cats live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want cat hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.

3. I like my cats a lot better than I like most people.

4. To you, he's a cat. To me, he's an adopted son who is short, hairy, walks on all fours and doesn't speak very good English.

5. My cats are better than kids. They eat less, don't ask for money all the time, are easier to train, sometimes come when called, never drive your car, don't hang out with drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about buying the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes, don't need a gazillion dollars for college, and you can sterilize them so they don't get pregnant
LMAO!!!!

I would just politely say "I understand and thank you for your concern, but I have made up my mind about keeping the cats, let's please not make it an issue." Most people should get the hint...
BUT as you say it, think "BUGGER OFF" in your head and try to secretly throw cat fur on their clothes
post #9 of 20
The stories about cats sitting on babies are old wives tails. I can't believe at this day and age people still believe this nonsense. I don't think there are any actual cases where cat killed the baby. I mean, you wouldn't want cats sleeping on the baby but you could put up a baby gate or something. And it's better that someone else changed the litterbox while you are pregnant because of toxiplasmosis that cats might have. But not all cats even have it. Most cats probably don't have it. And if nobody else would change litter you could wear gloves. There is no reason to get rid of cats.
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by allissa
The stories about cats sitting on babies are old wives tails. I can't believe at this day and age people still believe this nonsense. I don't think there are any actual cases where cat killed the baby. I mean, you wouldn't want cats sleeping on the baby but you could put up a baby gate or something. And it's better that someone else changed the litterbox while you are pregnant because of toxiplasmosis that cats might have. But not all cats even have it. Most cats probably don't have it. And if nobody else would change litter you could wear gloves. There is no reason to get rid of cats.
While I was pregnant my husband did the litter thing. My doctor told me that since I had already had my cat for over 10 years, that my body would have built up any immunities to anything she had and that the immunity would be carried through me to my unborn baby. But as quoted above, to be on the safe side just have hubby change the litter.
post #11 of 20
I get hassled plenty about having 4 cats in my house and I'm not pregnant. My boyfriend's family is really big on making their little comments about this and that.

I think once you have your baby and your family sees the cats aren't going to cause a ruckus with your health or the baby's they will move on to other things, such as telling you how they used to feed, burp, diaper, dress and bathe the baby. That's what my family did!

BTW- Congrats!
post #12 of 20
No advice, just wanted to say congratulations, I went through fertility tx's without the happy results, and am so very, very happy for you!
post #13 of 20
post #14 of 20
I never had a cat wile my kids were really little I went off of cats for a long time thanks to my mother but thats another tail my daughter brings her babys here and I have baby sat them from a very early age and we have always let Jasper sniff anything he want's to he has even jumped up into the pram but we watch him and once he has satisfied his curiosety he goes back to bed.

I think our friends and family can be a lilttle over protective at times and in your case probably even more so because you have had such a hard time getting pregnat I'm sure they have your best intrests at heart I know it can be anoying just try and egnore it water off a ducks back you know.

I love the sing idea to lol
post #15 of 20
Just ignore them or hide from them. If that's not an option, you can tell them that their behavior is stresssing you out and endangering the baby. It might keep them off you until the baby is born (hopefully).
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugen
* Rules for non-pet owners who visit and like to complain about our pets.
I got this off here one day and I put my cats pictures on it and made a personal rules for non pet lovers poster. you should modify this and post it on your door for the next time your family stops by...
1. The cats live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want cat hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.

3. I like my cats a lot better than I like most people.

4. To you, he's a cat. To me, he's an adopted son who is short, hairy, walks on all fours and doesn't speak very good English.

5. My cats are better than kids. They eat less, don't ask for money all the time, are easier to train, sometimes come when called, never drive your car, don't hang out with drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about buying the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes, don't need a gazillion dollars for college, and you can sterilize them so they don't get pregnant
I missed this the first time, but I think it will definitely go up on my wall!!

Adymarie, maybe you should print this and also make a t-shirt for yourself stating that the baby lives in you and not them! (just a thought!)
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Barb - ROTFLMAO! I think I might put that up in my front hallway. Thanks for the advice everyone. Now I just have to convince Merlin that the baby is not his disciple of evil, Excalibur that breast milk is only for the baby and Pepperpot that she doesn't have to groom the baby, everything will be fine!
post #18 of 20
Just tell them that you're sure the cats won't mind the baby, thanks for asking, they'll be so confused they might shut up.

Sue
post #19 of 20
OMG..

Where are they from, the turn of last century? Cats are no more harmful to a baby than they are to you! In fact when I was little, my cat tried her darnedest to protect me and looked after me like I was her own child (she didn't like my cousins, or strangers to be around me, and so many an evening found me corraled up under the master bed with her.)

It was once a fear that a cat could breathe in the soul of infants, but, obviously that's not true. ;( people like that need to bugger off.. Or if they have kids and dogs, ask them if they're trying to get their children mauled. More kids get killed by ill-trained dogs than by cats (by a great number.)
post #20 of 20
I think that while people are good intentioned they do not live there full time and know what goes on in your household. I think lots of people thinks its awful to have more than 1 or 2 cats (I also have 4), I would thank them kindly for there advice and do your own thing!!. One of my girlfriends had I think at least 3 cats when her boys her born they installed a screen door on the nursery instead of regular door. It worked good for her!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My relatives are driving me nuts!