TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Tried everything
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tried everything

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I have had my cat for about a year about a month ago he started pooping outside his box. Mostly in the hallway & on the floor in the room where his box is. Nothing has changed to cause this behavior. I added a second box and he was using both but is back to pooping on the floor. I have a litter maid box that I thought may have scared himk so I turned it off and only turned it on twice a day to rake it. Cynder's box is in a spare room I don't have any other pet & live alone. When people come over he hides. He will come out to greet people if he knows them well enuff. Concord pet was out of his kitten food, in which the forst ingredient is chicken, so I bought the adult but he had already started his bad behavior before that. I don't see any other cats running around the neighborhood. Cynder is both fixed & declawed. I called the vet they think it is behavior. I'm going to try a different litter but other than that what do I do?
post #2 of 23
Hello and welcome to TCS. I think probably it is the litter box itself that your cat is frightened of and you probably need to stick to a plain one.
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
I have one of each. At first he was using the litter maid for pee & the other one for poop but now he is using the regular one to pee in & is pooping on the floor.
post #4 of 23
How long ago was he declawed? Declawing can cause a LOT of problems, including residual behavioural problems.

Cat's don't go outside of a clean box for no reason. Don't take your vet's advice over the phone. I'm more than a little surprised they gave it to you like that. Might think about getting a new vet! Going outside of the box is almost always more medical than behavioural. Take him to another vet and have him checked out.

And do some research on declawing so that you will be better informed next time you have a cat.
post #5 of 23
Hockeyfan...it may be that since he is declawed..the litter hurts his paws. I would try clay litter...that is more like sand.

Katie
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
He was declawed & fixed at the same time when he was about 6 months old he is a little over a year now. I will take him to the vet this week. He is not due until Sept for shots but maybe I can get them early as well. I also read on a thread that it could be a hard stool & I have been giving him some fiber this wont hurt to keep doing until he gets to the vet will it?

Thanks for all your help.
K
post #7 of 23
I would also add a second regular one...sounds like he doesn't like the littermaid one at all (I'd put it away).

Also...here is a thread about pooping problems:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...threadid=19767

Katie

P.S. I really appreciate that you are coming here and asking these questions so we can help you. The fact that your cat is declawed gives us some insight into other things that may be causing him to not want to use the litterbox.
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1
The fact that your cat is declawed gives us some insight into other things that may be causing him to not want to use the litterbox.
And what would that be? Given post surgery time that has elapsed, I fail to see any possible connection in defecating outside of the box and having the cats' claws removed. Voice your opinions when needed, not when possible.

Original poster, weight can play a factor if your cat is overweight. Since you clearly stated this has been noticed for a month, then it is time for a vet to see your cat, not hear about it on the phone.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle
Voice your opinions when needed, not when possible.
Perhaps I misread your tone (which is easy to do on the Internet), but this didn't sound very nice. Please remember that this is a very friendly board. We do not welcome hostile interactions.

I do apologize if I misread what you meant to say.
post #10 of 23
I would take this cat in to be seen, and ask the vet to check out the feet carefully. It is possible even after some time has passed on a declaw that an infection will start. I would have that checked out. I also wouldn't use clay litter right now, I would use the more natural stuff like swheat scoop, or the recyclable litters. The one declawed cat I rescued a few years ago she would only use the litter pan if we used rabbit food in the box- it didn't hurt her feet. The woman who adopted Penguin still uses rabbit pellets for her litter pan. Just a thought-
But I would certainly take this cat to the vet to be checked out. Then if he still is pooping outside the box look at behavioral issue or environmental ones
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsocats
Perhaps I misread your tone (which is easy to do on the Internet), but this didn't sound very nice. Please remember that this is a very friendly board. We do not welcome hostile interactions.

I do apologize if I misread what you meant to say.
You misread my words, I doubt you knew exactly what I wanted to say. My attempt was made to clear up the confusing post about how a declaw can alter defecating habits 6 months post surgery. What's nice about spreading FUD?

The original poster is searching for answers to a problem, not asking to be educated on personal opinions of feline elective surgeries.

I am a nice person, would like to stay if you allow it.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle
What's nice about spreading FUD?
Huh?
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle
The original poster is searching for answers to a problem, not asking to be educated on personal opinions of feline elective surgeries.
I don't want this to turn into a declawing thread, but I certainly will justify Katie's response here. There are possible long term side effects of declawing that are not opinion, they are fact. These include regrowth of the nail if the Distal Phalanx is not removed completely, and "Sequestrum" which is when shards of nail or bone remain in the site of the surgery. Both are quite painful and require a second surgery to correct. While these are not common side effects, it does happen. If these conditions do occur, it would be quite easy for the cat to again associate the pain in the paws with the litterbox and avoid it. This may not be the case with Cynder, but it is important to look at all of the possibilities regarding his avoidance of the litterbox, including complications from declawing.
post #14 of 23
I believe oracle meant FLUTD= Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease - reoccuring UTI
post #15 of 23
I said it gives us insight into "possible" issues that are sometimes associated with declawing. Thanks Hedi for that information.

Katie
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsocats
Huh?
FUD = Fear Uncertainty Doubt.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
I don't want this to turn into a declawing thread
Someone else started down this road, I am simply shedding light on the other side. This thread really should be about defecting outside of the litter box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
There are possible long term side effects of declawing that are not opinion, they are fact. These include regrowth of the nail if the Distal Phalanx is not removed completely, and "Sequestrum" which is when shards of nail or bone remain in the site of the surgery.
Given that the original poster indicates no other signs of odd behavior other than defecating outside of litter box, don't you find that a bit stretching? The cat could very well be responding to numerous outside influences as well as physical pain/discomfort. If declaw complications are suspect, ask the original poster to feel the claws and observe cat.

It is very clear what the stance is of the majority of posters around here as it pertains to delcawing, but your personal opinion on it should not enter so heavily when offering suggestions to a pet owner in need. Declawing complications 6 months down the road when no other symptoms are present, while not completely impossible, is simply stretching.
post #18 of 23
You are correct, you have landed on a board that is decidedly anti-declaw. Period. This is stated in the rules and guidelines that you agreed to when you registered. Yes, we will always try to dissuade anyone thinking about having it done, and educate those who have already had it done to hopefully consider other options in the future.

Quote:
The majority of our forum members are anti-declaw. Please do not declaw your cat. Declawing is a cruel and unnecessary procedure that is outlawed in most Western countries. It causes the cat tremendous pain and sometimes leads to major behavioral problems. Please note that the majority of cat owners find declawing to be very offensive. We encourage open discussion on all issues, but if you support declawing on the forums, expect some harsh criticism. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing here. We hope your time with us will change your views on this very sensitive issue. Hopefully, those of you with claw-related problems will find solutions by spending time in our Behavior Forum.
You may not have actually read the posts talking about this, but every one has said that this MAY, MAYBE, COULD BE a POSSIBILITY contributing to the defecation outside the litterbox. I gave MEDICAL examples of what it COULD be. It also COULD BE other things, and other suggestions were given, first and foremost to bring Cynder to the vet so they can determine if there is any medical issues whether regarding the paws or not.

I'm not sure of your agenda here. We're trying to give Hockeyfan possible explanations and issues to discuss with her vet, and one of those could be complications from declawing. No one is saying that is the diagnosis, it would be impossible to diagnose such things over the internet. She also did not say anything about Cynder being obese, but that doesn't discount your advise to check into that possibility.
post #19 of 23
I will make one more effort, try to assume that I have no hidden agenda and my words might be easier to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
You are correct, you have landed on a board that is decidedly anti-declaw. Period. This is stated in the rules and guidelines that you agreed to when you registered. Yes, we will always try to dissuade anyone thinking about having it done, and educate those who have already had it done to hopefully consider other options in the future.
This cat underwent the procedure at least 6 months ago, there is nothing to educate concerning this case as it pertains to the declawing stance of this board. I don't see the point in making mention of a stance on this board on every post that has the word "declaw" mentioned in it.

State a case (within the last 10 years) where a declaw complication occurred 6 months or more post surgery and the only sign was defecating outside of the litter box. My point is simple here, when a user makes mention of a declaw on this board it is damn near attacked and used as the single (if not most important) reason for the current complication/problem. (Friendly you say?)

I don't have a problem with a board taking a stance on an issue such as declawing but I do have a problem when that issue is taken so to heart that it clouds the suggestions to pet owners to help their pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
You may not have actually read the posts talking about this, but every one has said that this MAY, MAYBE, COULD BE a POSSIBILITY contributing to the defecation outside the litterbox.
I read the posts as I have also paid attention to the original poster and assumed very little to nothing else than what was said.

It could also be a long thunder storm outside, maybe we should of asked the current weather conditions of this posters' area. Or maybe (just maybe) we could offer suggestions that make a little more sense and leave our agendas and opinions to another forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
I'm not sure of your agenda here. We're trying to give Hockeyfan possible explanations and issues to discuss with her vet, and one of those could be complications from declawing. No one is saying that is the diagnosis, it would be impossible to diagnose such things over the internet. She also did not say anything about Cynder being obese, but that doesn't discount your advise to check into that possibility.
I offered a single potential reason (not advise) aside from declawing complications. Obesity is a more common reason for defecating outside the litter box at this stage of the cats' development, of course there are other possibilities.

I am questioning the whole declaw issue on this topic as the reason for bringing it up eludes me given the situation. I am also reading the words of the users like "And do some research on declawing so that you will be better informed next time you have a cat." which assumes the original poster does not have the slightest idea what a declaw is since they elected to have one performed on their cat. I'm sensing more than a concensus here, more of an attitude towards issues that perhaps get in the way of legitimate advice.

How does the agenda of declaw enter so heavily on this situation? I've read posts in other forums like the one with a poll on declawing so I'm not trying to question or debate the issue itself on this thread, simply trying to direct some suggestions to a pet owner that is absent of agenda or opinion. I bet no one knows what my stance on declawing is from this thread although you have opinions on it, but why should you know when it's not an issue with this case.

Perhaps the original poster would not care for any of this discussion, but I felt compelled to bring it up. When I was young in the feline arena I too was met with agendas that sometimes got in the way of sound suggestions; thankfully I educated myself.

I'm backing out with this reply, perhaps it was moot. Hope that the defecating problems are resolved soon.

No hard feelings, meow.
post #20 of 23
Just to clarify there are reports out there of cats being followed up to 5 months after declaw. Some of the common problems reported was litter pan avoidance, claw regrowth, infections of the feet, arthritis and spinal problems, and balance issues.

There are many reasons why a cat will miss a litter pan, health issues are primary than if a cat checks out 100% then you look at behavior issues, then look at the litter pan environment as well.

Along with health, on a declawed cat, a check of the feet should become important, if only just to rule it out and find what is causing the problem. But it should never be overlooked.
post #21 of 23
I am sorry to read that your kitty is having a litter box problem.
I am no stranger to that one.
I have several kitties who do not use the litter box....mostly all for different reasons.
My solution for this problem is to spread papers in their fave spots to go. Most of the time they use the papers. I also invested in a carpet cleaner and some special detergent that gets out stains easily.
One of the kitties I have has arthritis really bad in his back legs and it is painful(I am guessing here) for him to get in and out of the litter box. He is one of the good ones who always uses the paper.
I have others who spray because they enjoy doing it and it is a problem. But what can I do. I just clean it up. I scold them but it does no good. I have had several vets tell me that the number one reason cats are put to sleep is because of inappropriate urinating and defacation. Sad but true. My sister had one of her cats put to sleep because she kept urinating on the floor.
I do hope you can resolve your problem.
I also am against declawing. I think it is a cruel and unnessary thing to do. But I don't hold it against anyone who does it. If it is a choice between declawing and having a home...well I would pick the latter. My sister has 2 cats and she had them declawed and they are doing just fine,but it isn't for me or any of my cats.
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle
I am questioning the whole declaw issue on this topic as the reason for bringing it up eludes me given the situation. I am also reading the words of the users like "And do some research on declawing so that you will be better informed next time you have a cat." which assumes the original poster does not have the slightest idea what a declaw is since they elected to have one performed on their cat. I'm sensing more than a concensus here, more of an attitude towards issues that perhaps get in the way of legitimate advice.
When I said this there was nothing about how long ago the declaw was.

And yes, I assum that the original poster wasn't aware that declawing a cat is the same as amputating his fingers at the first knuckle, and I assume that if he'd known that's what it was that he would have chosen not to destroy his baby's paw and elect to use Soft Paws as an alternative to declawing. Most people who declaw have NO IDEA what it entails and that it's not just cutting off fingernails, but actually amputating part of their feet. Many vets don't inform people and some actually suggest a declaw. Why would I NOT assume that the OP did not know? Better than assuming that he was just heartless and thought more about his furniture than his cat's health.

As someone else said, if you bring your pro-declaw stuff onto this board, be prepared for a flame war. You agreed to it when you signed up.
post #23 of 23
Oracle...I honestly had no agenda when I posted this:

Quote:
The fact that your cat is declawed gives us some insight into other things that may be causing him to not want to use the litterbox
I know that declawing can cause some issues in some cats...so I wanted to thank the poster for letting us know his cat was declawed...I started creating my post before the OP had responded and when I hit the send button...well it was only then that I saw that the cat had been declawed over 6 monthes ago...however, I still felt it was worth keeping as it is something to consider when taking the cat to the vet for an exam. As far as the part that reads...please do not feel judged...well..perhaps that was misworded. I will erase that part since it really isn't relavent.

Katie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Tried everything