TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Tall kitty towers, does anyone have one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tall kitty towers, does anyone have one?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I don't know what they're called, but I hope you all know what I'm talking about. Those huge cat trees that are covered with carpet. Well, some are huge. They come in all sizes. Well, we want to invest in one for the kids, but the ones I see in pet stores are so expensive. I'd hate to spend a couple of hundred dollars if they only go on it once to explore it, then never use it. I'd like to hear from you guys who have one for their kitties and if they use it or not? Thanks,
Susie
post #2 of 21
I have two of those cat tree's and both are over 6 feet tall All of my baby's love to climp/play on them and also sleep there a lot . I got mine from ebay for a pretty good price . Each for those two I got for $130.00 plus s/h , so in all one cost me like $180.00 dollars I think that was a pretty good price for one tree of that size .
post #3 of 21
We have a tree, have it right by a window. They both still LOVE it, and we've had it for about 3 years. I'd get another but we don't have space in the apartment.
post #4 of 21
I just have a wooden ladder wrapped in sissal rope... the babies use it often. When I first introduced it, I sprayed the whole thing with Catnip Spray. Next thing I knew it was littered with cats!
-
post #5 of 21
we have a cat tree we got from walmart, and from what I remember it was really cheap. we have it by the window (i'll warn you that it's the variety that's just 3 platforms on a tall scratcher post.)
post #6 of 21
i have two cat trees. one tall one and one shorter one and my cats love it. they sleep and play on them all the time.
post #7 of 21
See here LOL.
post #8 of 21
We have a ceiling-high (over 7 ft.) cat tree, but it's not covered in carpet - it has removable (and replaceable) plush covers. Jamie loves it - he's up there every day. We got it when he was a few months old and making a hobby of tipping the smaller ones over.
post #9 of 21
I have been looking at ads for these and saw a couple of small ones that I think about getting tomorrow after I take care of the adoption. I am sure they will love sitting on on of these looking out the large (20ft+/-) window.

Jason
post #10 of 21
I have 6 tall ones and 2 medium ones. All with multiple perches and it is rare that they are not full up with cats. Best placement is by a window, or in areas where the cats can see multiple rooms (like the hallway which is wide in my house).

I look at the cost this way: I'm not paying for clothes, education, insurance, toys, phones, etc, etc that you would normally buy for your human kids. My cats deserve them. If you consider your cats your kids, why not invest in them? And how many times have you blown $50 or more going out to dinner and a show? So skip the nightw out for a few times and buy the furbabies a condo!!
post #11 of 21
Well said Amy!
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany
I have 6 tall ones and 2 medium ones. All with multiple perches and it is rare that they are not full up with cats. Best placement is by a window, or in areas where the cats can see multiple rooms (like the hallway which is wide in my house).

I look at the cost this way: I'm not paying for clothes, education, insurance, toys, phones, etc, etc that you would normally buy for your human kids. My cats deserve them. If you consider your cats your kids, why not invest in them? And how many times have you blown $50 or more going out to dinner and a show? So skip the nightw out for a few times and buy the furbabies a condo!!
Plus, it's good exercise for the kitties, prevents them from fighting over "favorite chairs", and provides extra "vertical space". One thing to keep in mind is how long the cats are. Jamie is extremely long, and likes to sharpen his claws while standing, so the best solution was to get a tree with a lot of climbing and scratching space for him. The "bed" he's in in the picture is well over our heads; there's a lower one on the opposite side of the tree that he used as a kitten, but now uses only to deposit toys.
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone for all your help......I just might have to go splurge and make the purchase.....I know our babies would love them...........
post #14 of 21
Petco, has a standing policy on returns..."If they don't like it you can return it" I'm sure there is a time limit, and whatever the item it can't look used, but they have proven themselves to me. Probably true for online ordering as well. Not sure about Petsmart, as we don't have them in NYC, that I aware of.
post #15 of 21
How I would love a ceiling high! However, I live in a 150 yr old Brooklyn Brownstone (rent Apt...NOT own...I wish) and the ceilings are about 18feet high. Can you imagine? I'd have to use the phone to call Franz and Maddie down for dinner or learn how to yodel!
post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
LOL, yodeling, that's a good one Barbara!!
post #17 of 21
I have a friend who had a smallish tree cut down in her back yard - about 4 inches in diameter. She cut the small branches off, put a big base on it, wrapped parts of it in sisal and put it in her living room. She did have to add guy wire from a branch to the ceiling to hold it stable. Her cats love it!
post #18 of 21
Thread Starter 
What a good idea she had Amy!
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany
I have a friend who had a smallish tree cut down in her back yard - about 4 inches in diameter. She cut the small branches off, put a big base on it, wrapped parts of it in sisal and put it in her living room. She did have to add guy wire from a branch to the ceiling to hold it stable. Her cats love it!
I know some people who've done that - they cemented the base of the tree into a big bucket. They didn't wrap anything, though. My nephew also made an "iguana tree" that way.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz
Petco, has a standing policy on returns..."If they don't like it you can return it" I'm sure there is a time limit, and whatever the item it can't look used, but they have proven themselves to me. Probably true for online ordering as well. Not sure about Petsmart, as we don't have them in NYC, that I aware of.
I saw some really nice cat trees in Petsmart but there is no way it would fit in my car.
DO they deliver?
post #21 of 21
I've never heard of Petsmart delivering. But I bought a tall cat tree from them and got it in my little tiny Daewoo (kind of like a Hyundai). I just had to put the back seats down and part of the tree stuck out the back end. So I had to tie it down. But we got home safe and sound with it, via the freeway!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Tall kitty towers, does anyone have one?