Meow Meow Meow Meow....SHHHHH!!!!!

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Grissom is still driving us crazy. We play with him till he is exhausted, as are we. We feed him before bed. But STILL he wakes me (Rob is a sound sleeper, how unfair) at 3:30 am EVERY morning. He meows from the door, and if you don't respond, he moves closer till he is on your head meowing his little heart out. So you give him a few pats, but no, thats not good enough. I pet him for 10 minutes last night, and it STILL wasn't good enough! He had food, he had water, a clean box. What gives????

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just ignore him, sleep with earplugs, if he comes on the bed, ignore him. Have classical music playing really low in your bedroom (it really does soothe cats) He is in prey and play response, paying attention to him when he is like this is just caving to what he wants. Ignore him and in a few days he will stop.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put a tall cat condo outside my bedroom door that they all love. (When I happen to wake up,) I hear them racing up and down it over night, and it's a good alternative to playing with us overnight. Close enough for them to be near us, yet far away enough so we can sleep.

I had a 5AM alarm-clock cat. As much as I hated to do it to him, I would push him away and ignore him. They do eventually figure it out.

nora

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Max used to do this also. I would push him back down and ignore him and he would go back to sleep. After a while it will sink in with him that it is not an acceptable time to wake up mommy.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple cat alarm clocks also-Sheba promptly @5:00, and then OX chimes in within 10 minutes (my alarm goes off at 5:30). Ignoring doesn't work the best, if I shut the door she scratches. She wants her moist cat food!! But I read-was it on this site about keeping your cat in a crate in your room. That seemed to be effective.
I can sympathize with you.

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with Grissy - sounds like he needs a friend.

Tinkerbell used to attack us in the night when she had no one to play with - then we got Minnie and she suddenly had someone to hang out with.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
LOL - who needs an alarm clock with a kitty in the house? I have to get up at 5 a.m. four days a week, which suits JC just fine. On the other three days, I'd like to sleep till 7 or 8, so when he goes through his act, I tell him I need my sleep, and to tell Daddy. He does! "Mommy's tired!" evokes a "jump on Daddy" response. Pets understand a lot more than we give them credit for.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 cats and my boy still wakes me at 6-7 AM every morning.
But if she is keeping you up all night...perhaps a friend wouldn't be a bad idea.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was actually planning on fostering toward the end of summer, if the animal shelter will have me, so maybe I will push up that date. Right after vacation (2 weeks!!!) and the b-word issue is resolved, I will give them a call. I'm a little nervous, I'm afraid they won't let me foster becuase of my age> I am hoping they will visit the house and see how well adjusted (usually) he is. And how spoiled.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat does the same thing, she drives my nuts, she can go on for ages, sometimes i have to go to bed early to get some sleep, trying to ignore it doesn't work she will just screams louder and louder or she will sit on me or meow in my face, telling her to shoo doesn't work either she just keep meowing.

natascha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tohru is also an alarmclock-cat. She wakes us up every morning between 5 and 6, deciding it's playtime. It was worse in the beginning, gnawing toes (and those kittenteeth are sharp!), but after giving her a time out every time, she's pretty much stopped the toe-chasing. She still wakes up that early and jump on your chest sometimes (in which case I pick her up and put her by the door as in "play somewhere else", and she does), but most of the time she now takes her early morning games to the livingroom, and when she's done after an hour, she comes back to cuddle with us again.

Natascha

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow 5am must be the magic time for cats...that's pretty much what time gizmo wakes me up every morning. The thing is he doesn't really bother me too much. I mean he'll jump on the bed a few times but for the most part he likes to jump on my desk and just meow. Now sometimes I get lucky and he'll go back to sleep but I gurantee by 7am he'll be up meowing again. That's when he expects to be fed though so I really have no choice but to get up at that point.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo is an alarm-kitty but she hasn't synchronized her watch with mine. I tell her NO I am not getting up to play at 3 AM, and she waits at the foot of the bed until I am ready when it is obvious that I mean what I said.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whenever my cat bothered me while sleeping, I'd just grab her once she got near enough, wrap my arm around her and pull her down in the covers with me, and she'd kick and pull and resist, and after about a minute of that I'd let her go and she'd zoom the heck out of the bedroom, with that "holy crap!" look on her face. As a matter of course, I'd get the random scratch here and there, but I think I'd get em so often (frisky cat) that it never really bothered me.

If she stood on my chest, I kinda just slung my arm over her and kinda tipped her over so she'd plunk down, and she may or may not stay there.

But yeah, usually a good smothering will either get the cat to join you or leave, or at least it worked for my cat. Kittens are a different story though...

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Whenever my cat bothered me while sleeping, I'd just grab her once she got near enough, wrap my arm around her and pull her down in the covers with me, and she'd kick and pull and resist, and after about a minute of that I'd let her go and she'd zoom the heck out of the bedroom, with that "holy crap!" look on her face. As a matter of course, I'd get the random scratch here and there, but I think I'd get em so often (frisky cat) that it never really bothered me.

If she stood on my chest, I kinda just slung my arm over her and kinda tipped her over so she'd plunk down, and she may or may not stay there.

But yeah, usually a good smothering will either get the cat to join you or leave, or at least it worked for my cat. Kittens are a different story though...
usually when my cat sits on my chest she tickles me so she jumps off when i start to move XD

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least he's just meowing! Odo meows so much that it no longer wakes me much of the time. Now he's taken to digging at my hair, hitting me in the face (no claws, thank goodness), and biting my head! He literally clamps his teeth into my head. I just shove him off the bed and tell him to leave me alone. If he persists, then I close him out of the bedroom.

Other things to be aware of include that cats have very keen senses of smell. They can smell other cats even if we can't. Odo's meowing is worse if the windows are open, and it's unbearable if it's a warm day and the neighbors' cats are having a meeting on my porch.

If it continues to be a problem, you may want to rule out medical reasons for meowing, including high blood pressure and hyperthyroidism (in older cats).

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

At least he's just meowing! Odo meows so much that it no longer wakes me much of the time. Now he's taken to digging at my hair, hitting me in the face (no claws, thank goodness), and biting my head! He literally clamps his teeth into my head. I just shove him off the bed and tell him to leave me alone. If he persists, then I close him out of the bedroom.
nah man, that cat has serious attitude problems! if it does it again say no! in a firm voice and smack it's bottom, or if he still don't listen make a loud clapping sound and then say no! that usually works for my cat and she will stay quiet for a while. if i try to put my cat in the next room she will just continue to claw the door until i let her in