caligvla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I have a 4 year old bengal cat,
I was hoping by now he would calm down

He is like living with the tazmanian devil from the Warner Bros cartoons
he is extremely distructive and cannot leave anything alone

is there anything I can do to calm him down ?

Help!
I don't want to have to resort to putting him to sleep

Caligvla

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surely you would NOT put the cat down simply for destructive behavior!!!!

There are a lot of resources here on the site that can give you advise on taming your kitty's behaviors. Sounds to me, though, like he needs a playmate!! Where are our bengal experts? I'll defer to their vast knowledge of the breed, but I wanted to give you my $0.02 worth.

stingy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You love your baby.
Of course. Play a lot. My Spot is wild. We play, he sleeps.

mellanie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It just sounds like he's bored!! Bengals are very high energy cats, and extremely intelligent as well; he needs to be kept stimulated mentally and physically. Have you tried rotating his toys, switching them every few days so that he doesn't get tired of them? Also do you have any other cats for him to play with?

luvmycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two bengals, and it sounds like your guy is fairly typical for the breed. I agree with the others who said it sounds like he is bored. The good thing is, this is easily cured.

If you don't already have it, I hghly highly recommend a toy called 'Da Bird'. It's basically an interactive fishing pole type toy with feathers, but the way it flies does look a lot like a real bird. If you want to see your bengal act like a wild cat, hunting, stalking, jumping, this toy will get them going. My bengals play with this like no other toy, jumping 4+ feet in the air to 'kill' it, running around like lunatics, stalking it, just having the best time with it. They will play with this toy til they're too tired to play anymore, and even then they won't want to quit. It's hard to be destructive when you're tired out!

Another thing that bengals really need and love is things to climb on. Do you have a cat tree for your boy? If not, you definitely should invest in one. If you can't afford one of the big expensive ones, Wal Mart has a cheap floor-ceiling one for around $30. My guys like this one just as much as the 'better' one. I also rearranged a spare bedroom to make it almost like a climbing course for the cats. They jump from the cat tree to the bookshelves, back to the tree, to the top of the dresser, onto the bed, etc. This is another great non-destructive way for them to release their energy.

If your cat is still being destructive, you may want to consider a playmate. As good as you may be at playing with your cat, no one can play like another cat can.

If none of this helps, you may wnat to consider trying Bach flower essences. You can buy these in any good health food store, or online, and some people have had great success with them. I have used several of the essences for different things with my bengals (and other cat), and they do seem to help. I believe Vervain is the essence for calming, but even regular rescue remedy may help. They couldn't be simpler to use either, you just drop a couple of drops in the waterdish. Here is a site if you would like more information. http://www.bachflower.com

If all else fails, please do not have your bengal put to sleep. There is a bengal rescue network (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bengalcatrescue/) that helps bengals in need find new homes. If it comes to the point where you just can't deal with him, please consider contacting them rather then the alternative. You can also e-mail me directly if you like, and I will help you any way I can. My e-mail is [email protected].

delphinium1972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Caligvla

Help!

Caligvla
Please don't be sensitive to my reply; however, it sounds like a personal problem more than a bengal problem.

The lovie deserves a better home.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, Bengals are a high-energy breed, and need stimulation.

It'd be hard to devote enough attention to them by yourself, so I would recommend a companion. Wesley and Buttercup chase each other all over at mach 10 and like to play wrestle a lot, and when one of them smacks something across the floor like a rubber bouncy ball, small mouse toy, ball in tunnel and the like, the other immediately joins in so they wear themselves out.

Nothing quite uses as much energy as jumping and climbing, so those are great ideas too, and its really entertaining for me at least to see their acrobatic prowess climbing and balancing about. You don't have to get cat specific trees, as many things can be adapted. If you use sturdy shelves, and carpet tape some loop-free carpet on them, you can make your own cheap. Let us know if you'd like some specific ideas.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys do understand this was from 2004, correct? And the OP has only this one post? Sadly, it probably did not end up well for this Bengal

delphinium1972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

You guys do understand this was from 2004, correct? And the OP has only this one post? Sadly, it probably did not end up well for this Bengal
Thank you. Yes, I understand it was an older post. But it warranted a reply - even now, many years later - for any other brainless person out there that adopts / chooses a beautiful Bengal to bring in as part of their family. These types shouldn't have the privilege of including one of these magnificent creatures into their family. It just made me so sad that someone that immature and cruel would make such a statement.

So many people adopt, bring furry family members home that never do the research on what pet is best for them, their family, their lifestyle, their life choices - and then when the going gets tough (most likely because of the guardian's laziness, irresponsbililty and cruelty), they just throw the companion animal awayl. It's heartbreaking.

Thankfully, the laws are changing and recognizing pets as "family members" and not just "property" and can be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for irresponsible behavior.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RicaLynn

Surely you would NOT put the cat down simply for destructive behavior!!!!

There are a lot of resources here on the site that can give you advise on taming your kitty's behaviors. Sounds to me, though, like he needs a playmate!! Where are our bengal experts? I'll defer to their vast knowledge of the breed, but I wanted to give you my $0.02 worth.
Maybe get him a good cat tree and play with him a bit. If you brush them out or rub the back of their neck sometimes that calms them down as well.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Caligvla

Help!

Caligvla
What generation Bengal is he? What have you tried in order to calm him down? Like what type of activities?

If you can not cope with him I can try and find you a breed rescue group in your area that will take him. I just need to know what state you are located in.

Please do not put him down.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For everyone reading this article, and I do not mean this as in yelling, but to get people's attention:

THIS THREAD IS ALMOST 7 YEARS OLD. ANY ADVICE YOU WISH TO GIVE TO OP WILL NOT BE RECEIVED, PER THE "1" NEXT TO THEIR POST COUNT

cjd6x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The original post for help may be almost 7 years old, but it still helped me today. My ex fiance' gave me a kitten 2 1/2 years ago that turned out to be part bengal. The guy didn't last, but the kitty has.

I love my crazy bengal, but he can be quite destructive. If I can't be home for more than 8 hours or do not give him enough attention, he knocks things over like drinks, vases, etc. I would never consider putting him down or getting rid of him, but I wondered if he will grow out of this phase, or if he needs a playmate. My concern with a playmate has been that they may terrorize my apartment together!

This forum has definitely helped me get more ideas about what to do and to know my bengal and my decor may be able to live together after all, as long as he has enough attention.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I think people realise that the original post is nearly 7 years old that the op had only 1 pist but like the poster before myself had said it helped her so reading the kind replies that others give the op can and will give past present and future members help

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

Yes I think people realise that the original post is nearly 7 years old that the op had only 1 pist but like the poster before myself had said it helped her so reading the kind replies that others give the op can and will give past present and future members help
If you'll look back, not everyone knew it was an old post. Otherwise Cat Person wouldn't have had an entire post of questions directed at OP, and Ducman wouldn't have *facepalm*ed. I never said don't post here and don't take in the good info, etc, I was just offering the information to people who didn't know, so they don't end up asking questions of a phantom.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjd6x

The original post for help may be almost 7 years old, but it still helped me today. My ex fiance' gave me a kitten 2 1/2 years ago that turned out to be part bengal. The guy didn't last, but the kitty has.

I love my crazy bengal, but he can be quite destructive. If I can't be home for more than 8 hours or do not give him enough attention, he knocks things over like drinks, vases, etc. I would never consider putting him down or getting rid of him, but I wondered if he will grow out of this phase, or if he needs a playmate. My concern with a playmate has been that they may terrorize my apartment together!

This forum has definitely helped me get more ideas about what to do and to know my bengal and my decor may be able to live together after all, as long as he has enough attention.
THIS is fantastic, that such an old post and some misunderstanding by posters about that would lead to assisting another TCS member with some ideas on how to keep their own cat happier.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

If you can not cope with him I can try and find you a breed rescue group in your area that will take him.
The first thing to do in this situation is contact the breeder, not give up the cat to a rescue. It's in many contracts that breeders will take back or assist in rehoming, that cats are not to be given up without the breeders knowledge.

BreezyQueen01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so to be honest I got a little sad when I read the last part, when you said you didn't want to resort to putting your Kitty down. But that is not the only option. But I am having the same problem with my 7 month old Bengal. I don't know how he can be bored because all he does is run around, he has plenty toys and a cat tower, but doesn't bother with them. My mom and I got him a little friend but when we put them together he attacks him and bites the new kitties neck. He gets into everything. He drinks from the faucet, he's run up the walls twice, and wakes my mom and I up very early in the morning by meowing, we spray him with a water bottle but he always comes back. Idk what to do. If I cant calm him down I may have to find him a new home and I don't want to. Please help. I don't know what to do anymore.