Need Help Finding Your Way Around the Forums?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! This is a very friendly and helpful site for anyone and everyone who shares the love of cats.

In order to make the beginning of your stay more pleasant, we have Mentors who can show you the ropes, answer your questions about the site including technical questions about posting and the always important questions about posting pictures of your beautiful cat(s). You will see these people here in New Cats on the Block and posting around the site, and can tell them by their Blue Ribbons.

You can ask for their assistance in two ways. You can post here and one of our mentors will contact you via Private Message, or when you see one of their posts just click on their username or the dot beside it and a drop down menu appears where you can Send a Private Message to them.

To access your Private Messages, look in the top right corner when you are signed in to the site. Underneath the "Welcome" there is a link, Private Messages. Beside it are the number of unread messages and the total number of messages you have. Just click on the link to check your messages. To reply to a message, click "Quote". (Please be aware, you do have to periodically clean out your PMs, as there are limits to the number of PMs you can have on the server which corresponds to the "level" of membership. Kittens (1-15 posts) can only have 10 PMs in their Inbox and Sent items.)

We hope you enjoy your time here at The Cat Site, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have Mentors available to help you at all times! We are flisssweetpea, captiva, xocats, -_aj_-, kluchetta and Miss Mew!

Please feel free to contact us by clicking on one of our user names and sending a private message.
We're so happy to help you in any way!

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, i'm new and i usually just explore the site to figure things out bu this site is confusing me. i was wondering about the avatars and where and how do i get them and where are the signatures?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Ilovemykitty!

The Sticky's at the top of the page of posts tell about avatars, sigs, and a whole lot more. If you need more help, you can go to the "members' list" at the top of the page, click on it, and send a PM (Private Message) to any of the Moderators -- they will be more than happy to help you out, I'm sure!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you can also pm any of our mentors as well.

Our mentors are captiva, xocats, -_aj_-, kluchetta, Miss Mew & flisssweetpea. They will be more than happy to help you out

therandomspaz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi i'm just wondering how i would create a signiture?
how can i put a photo of my cat onto another one and how do i copy a html link into it i've tried but it doesn't work

please help

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TheRandomSpaz

Hi i'm just wondering how i would create a signature?
how can i put a photo of my cat onto another one and how do i copy a html link into it I've tried but it doesn't work.
Here is a link to TCS's Signature Shop, where you will find many threads about how to create your own signature.
http://thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

If you want a sig. made for you, there is a thead in that forum where you can post your request.

If I can be of further help..
just send a PM to my username with your question...
I will help if I can.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazykatlady

Hi. I am new to the forums and I am confused about some things. Can someone answer some ?? for me? Thanks.
I just sent a private message to you....

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a button to click to find only the threads I have posted in so that I can find the responses to question I've asked or conversations I've contributed to? I'm not sure if this forum is arranged the same as the fish forum I am on, but it would be nice to select those items in case I forget where to look for something. Thanks. I am enjoying the forums.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you set your options -- User CP (at the lefthand side of the menu bar) /Edit Options/Messaging & Notification/ Default Thread Subscription Mode -- to subscribe automatically to threads you post to, you can then click on User CP at any time and any threads you've subscribed to, that have unread posts, will be displayed. If you want to see all your subscribed threads, there's a menu option on the lefthand side of that page to do that.

jane&meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

This seems like a really simple question but I can't seem to figure it out on my own!

What section should I introduce my cat in? Is it in this section, or is this just to introduce us? Is there a general section to talk about cats which I am missing?
Thank you!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jane&Meow

Hi there!

This seems like a really simple question but I can't seem to figure it out on my own!

What section should I introduce my cat in? Is it in this section, or is this just to introduce us? Is there a general section to talk about cats which I am missing?
Thank you!
Welcome

I see that you found our New Cat's on the Block forum Jane.

If I can help you with any other questions you might have about our site, please don't hesitate to ask.

silvertreemoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Not only is this my first post, it's my first ever forum...and I have no idea how to do anything! It's embarrassing but I don't even know how to post!

How does one start a new post? I guess that's the first thing I need to learn.

And of course I want to show photos of my beautiful kitties, but it's going to take me some time to work through the instructions, and while I'm sure they're perfectly clear, on first view, my brain hollered, "RUN!"

I have a ton of photos on my computer, but am I correct in understanding that I can't post photos from my computer?

On the "New Cat" page, I saw alot of questions about avatars. I do know what one is, but where does it go and how do I get it there?

I promise I wont be constantly annoying, but admit I may be a bit until I figure this out....my apologies in advance.
And thank you for your help!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by SilverTreeMoon

Hi!
Not only is this my first post, it's my first ever forum...and I have no idea how to do anything! It's embarrassing but I don't even know how to post!

And of course I want to show photos of my beautiful kitties, but it's going to take me some time to work through the instructions, and while I'm sure they're perfectly clear, on first view, my brain hollered, "RUN!"

I have a ton of photos on my computer, but am I correct in understanding that I can't post photos from my computer?

On the "New Cat" page, I saw alot of questions about avatars. I do know what one is, but where does it go and how do I get it there?

I promise I wont be constantly annoying, but admit I may be a bit until I figure this out....my apologies in advance.
Welcome to TCS.

The first thing to do is go to the New Cats on the Block forum, but don't open any thread. In the bar above the list of threads you'll find "Forum Tools". Click on that for a drop-down menu, then click on "Post a New Thread."

Once you've introduced yourself, you'll find a lot of people willing and eager to answer your questions.

ETA---I just saw your introduction post, so I guess you figured that much out.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SilverTreeMoon

Hi!

to TCS!

Let's see if I can answer your questions.

To start a new "thread" to ask a question, introduce yourself, etc., you want to go to a forum like New Cats on The Block for introductions, The Cat Lounge for general conversation, Fur Pics to post pictures, and so on, and look for the New Thread button at the top left:

Click on that, and you can start your own thread.

Photos: What most people do, and what new members have to do until they have enough posts to allow them to attach photos, is upload their photos to an image hosting site like Photobucket (which offers free accounts). One of our advisers, icklemiss21 , has made up step-by-step instructions here She did a terrific job of explaining how it works and provides illustrations.

"Adult cats" (members with >100 posts and 30 days' membership) can attach a few photos by uploading them directly from their computers, but the number of pictures you can attach is limited.To do that, you have to scroll down below the "box" you're typing in to "Additional Options" and click the "Manage Attachments" button:

More info about posting photos can be found here: How to Post Pictures

An avatar is the picture to the left of the user name. This thread, How do I get a picture by my name? , explains how that works. You won't be able to get one till you have been a member for >24 hours and have made 5 posts. You'll have to go to your "User CP" at the top left of any page to do that:

If you click on that, it'll take you to the "Control Panel", "Settings & Options" and "Edit Avatar", which will give you a few choices of avatars. The longer you're a member and the more posts you have, the more choices you get.

I hope that helps!

einseidle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Welcome to The Cat Site! This is a very friendly and helpful site for anyone and everyone who shares the love of cats.

In order to make the beginning of your stay more pleasant, we have Mentors who can show you the ropes, answer your questions about the site including technical questions about posting and the always important questions about posting pictures of your beautiful cat(s). You will see these people here in New Cats on the Block and posting around the site, and can tell them by their Blue Ribbons.

You can ask for their assistance in two ways. You can post here and one of our mentors will contact you via Private Message, or when you see one of their posts just click on their username or the dot beside it and a drop down menu appears where you can Send a Private Message to them.

To access your Private Messages, look in the top right corner when you are signed in to the site. Underneath the "Welcome" there is a link, Private Messages. Beside it are the number of unread messages and the total number of messages you have. Just click on the link to check your messages. To reply to a message, click "Quote". (Please be aware, you do have to periodically clean out your PMs, as there are limits to the number of PMs you can have on the server which corresponds to the "level" of membership. Kittens (1-15 posts) can only have 10 PMs in their Inbox and Sent items.)

We hope you enjoy your time here at The Cat Site, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask!
First question: How do I turn off the advertising? I've now paid for a Premium Membership for one year, but the advertising is still appearing?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by einseidle

First question: How do I turn off the advertising? I've now paid for a Premium Membership for one year, but the advertising is still appearing?
Go to the User Control Panel by clicking on the "User CP: link at the top of the page. Select "Edit Options" from the side panel. At the bottom of the page in the "Miscellaneous Options" section, there will be a check box where you can turn off the Advertising.

Thanks for becoming a Paid Member and supporting the site.