(2001 Thread) Plane just crashed into the world trade center

buttercup429

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOSH, it just exploded a second time! A small passenger jet crashed into the north side of one of the towers. How wild is that? Now another plane just ran into it! TWO PLANES have crashed into each of the world trade center towers!!!

aristocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh its so awful,British tv are showing the two towers.They seem to think its a terrorists attack.
Oh no another place has been attacked,The Pentagon,Washington DC.I,m so sorry for the people of America,my heart gose out to you

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
looks like the Pentagon was attacked as well
This means it's a terror act for sure. I wonder who's behind all of this? It's too weird!

I hope all of our American members are safe! We're thinking about you!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is so surreal. The poor people around there. Prayers are flying- what a sad state of affairs.

dodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A mall in WD was also bombed !!

I don't believe it, one plane more crashed in to a building in NY !

I am shocked ! I can't believe it !

Yesterday there was a terorist attack in Turkye, too. A man with explosives all over himself bombed policemen ! But it can't be compared with the tragedy in NY.

One of the buildings which was attacked has crashed down on people on the ground..

I don't know what to say !!

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So horrible!
I pray for all of the people who have died today unnecessarily. I'm watching it on MSNBC right now, and saw the 1st building tumble down...... those poor people in the building and everyone around it! I really hope the U.S. does something about it. This is so horrifying & unbelievable

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All United States Airports have been closed! My dad works for a government agency that investigates these situations and my mom just said he called and doesn't know yet if he is going to be sent to investigate. This is just horrible - both the towers have collapsed and there is speculation that there is a third plane in the air in DC that has been hijacked!

studio224

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so shocked. My heart goes to all the people living in United States.

Anne-Claire

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My heart goes out to the people all over. The military family that are now facing the first real threat of war. The people wounded, the people dying, their families, it was said on CNN that there were 4 planes unaccounted for (therefore assumed hijacked) and that three hit their mark and the fourth crashed in PA. Now there are explosions going on and speculation that there are car bombs that are going to continue to go off throughout the day. People are fleeing New York, can you imagine the chaos and the mess? Lord have Mercy on all the souls, and may retribution be swift in coming.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Terror Attack Destroys Trade Center
The Associated Press
Sep 11 2001 11:20AM

NEW YORK (AP) - In a horrific sequence of destruction, terrorists crashed two planes into the World Trade Center, and the twin 110-story towers collapsed Tuesday morning. Explosions also rocked the Pentagon and spread fear across the nation.
``I have a sense it's a horrendous number of lives lost,'' Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said. ``I don't know yet. Right now we have to focus on saving as many lives as possible.''

Authorities had been trying to evacuate those who work in the twin towers, but many were thought to have been trapped. About 50,000 people work at the Trade Center.

``This is perhaps the most audacious terrorist attack that's ever taken place in the world,'' said Chris Yates, an aviation expert at Jane's Transport in London. ``It takes a logistics operation from the terror group involved that is second to none. Only a very small handful of terror groups is on that list. ... I would name at the top of the list Osama bin Laden.''

President Bush ordered a full-scale investigation to ``hunt down the folks who committed this act.''

Within the hour, an aircraft crashed on a helicopter landing pad near the Pentagon, and the White House, the Pentagon and the Capitol were evacuated.

In Pennsylvania, a large plane, believed to be a Boeing 747, crashed about 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. The fate of those aboard was not immediately known and it was not clear if the crash was related to the disasters elsewhere.

Authorities went on alert from coast to coast, halting all air traffic, evacuating high-profile buildings and tightening security at strategic installations. The Situation Room at the White House was in full operation.

``Everyone was screaming, crying, running, cops, people, firefighters, everyone,'' said Mike Smith, a fire marshal. ``It's like a war zone.''

``I just saw the building I work in come down,'' said businessman Gabriel Ioan, shaking in shock outside City Hall, a cloud of smoke and ash from the World Trade Center behind him. ``I just saw the top of Trade Two come down.''

Nearby a crowd mobbed a man on a pay phone, screaming at him to get off the phone so that they could call relatives. Dust and dirt flew everywhere. Ash was 2 to 3 inches deep in places. People wandered dazed and terrified.

Evacuations were ordered at the United Nations in New York and at the Sears Tower in Chicago. Los Angeles mobilized its anti-terrorism division, and security was intensified around the naval facilities in Hampton Roads, Va.

One of the planes that crashed into the Trade Center was American Airlines Flight 11, hijacked after takeoff from Boston en route to Los Angeles, the airline said.

The planes blasted fiery, gaping holes in the upper floors of the twin towers. A witness said he saw bodies falling and people jumping out. About an hour later, the southern tower collapsed with a roar and a huge cloud of smoke; the other tower fell about a half-hour after that, covering lower Manhattan in heaps of gray rubble and broken glass. Firefighters trapped in the rubble radioed for help.

``Today we've had a national tragedy,'' Bush said in Sarasota, Fla. ``Two airplanes have crashed into the World Trade Center in an apparent terrorist attack on our country.'' He said he would be returning immediately to Washington.

The crashes at the World Trade Center happened minutes apart, beginning just before 9 a.m.

Heavy black smoke billowed into the sky above one of New York City's most famous landmarks, and debris rained down on the street, one of the city's busiest work areas. When the second plane hit, a fireball of flame and smoke erupted, leaving a huge hole in the glass and steel tower.

John Axisa, who was getting off a commuter train to the World Trade Center, said he saw ``bodies falling out'' of the building. He said he ran outside, and watched people jump out of the first building. Then there was a second explosion, and he felt heat on the back of neck.

WCBS-TV, citing an FBI agent, said five or six people jumped out of the windows. Witnesses on the street screamed every time another person leaped.

People ran down the stairs in panic and fled the building. Thousands of pieces of what appeared to be office paper drifted over Brooklyn, about three miles away.

Several subway lines were immediately shut down. Trading on Wall Street was suspended. New York's mayoral primary election was postponed. All bridges and tunnels into Manhattan were closed down.

David Reck was handing out literature for a candidate for public advocate a few blocks away when he saw a jet come in ``very low, and then it made a slight twist and dove into the building.''

Terrorist bombers struck the World Trade Center in February 1993, killing six people and injuring more than 1,000 others.

``A second occurrence is just beyond belief,'' said Ira Furber, former National Transportation Safety Board spokesman.

``It's just sick. It just shows how vulnerable we really are,'' Keith Meyers, 39, said in Columbus, Ohio. ``It kind of makes you want to go home and spend time with your family. It puts everything in perspective,'' Meyers said. He said he called to check in with his wife. They have two young children.

In New York, ``we heard a large boom and then we saw all this debris just falling,'' said Harriet Grimm, who was inside a bookstore on the World Trade Center's first floor when the first explosion rocked the building.

``The plane was coming in low and ... it looked like it hit at a slight angle,'' said Sean Murtagh, a CNN vice president, the network reported.

In 1945, an Army Air Corps B-25, a twin-engine bomber, crashed into the 79th floor of the Empire State Building in dense fog.

In Florida, Bush was reading to children in a classroom at 9:05 a.m. when his chief of staff, Andrew Card, whispered into his ear. The president briefly turned somber before he resumed reading. He addressed the tragedy about a half-hour later.

APO

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Attacks Spread Terror Around U.S. Capital
Reuters
Sep 11 2001 11:04AM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sen. Chuck Grassley stood outside the U.S. Capitol amid a terrified throng of people evacuated from the building after a number of explosions in the nation's capital.
"I'm asking myself if it can happen in America," the Iowa Republican said. "Obviously it can. It looks like a coordinated effort."

"This is as bad as it gets," added Sen. Bill Frist, a Tennessee Republican. "There's already been two separate instances, there's a likelihood there could be others."

A young congressional aide asked a reporter on the street: "Where should I go? Where should I go? I just heard there was another explosion." The aide was urged to keep and walking away.

An airliner crashed into the Pentagon on Tuesday, setting off a huge explosion and fire, and prompting the immediate evacuation of the headquarters of the American military, officials said. All government buildings later were ordered evacuated as another explosion was reported near the State Department.

At midmorning, an airplane could be heard flying overhead near the Capitol, prompting scores of pedestrians to freeze in their tracks and look skyward for several seconds before the sound faded away.

A tall man in a gray suit led a group of people on the lawn outside the Capitol in prayer and bells on Capitol Hill could be heard playing "America the Beautiful."

At McClure Gerard & Neuenschwander, a lobbying firm two blocs from the Captiol, there was indecision. Some employees began to head to the basement for shelter while other headed for the doors.

"I'm going home," one employee said. "I'm headed out of here."

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plane Crashes Into Pentagon, White House Evacuated
Reuters
Sep 11 2001 11:08AM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A plane crash at the Pentagon and a fire near the White House rocked the nation's capital on Tuesday, forcing evacuation of the federal government and sending workers rushing into the streets.
President Bush was not in the city at the time and canceled his planned day in Florida to head back to the capital to take charge.

The Federal Aviation Administration ordered all airplanes across the United States to remain on the ground in the first such national action ever.

"It's clear that this is terrorist-related, we're not sure who is responsible," a U.S. official said. "There was no advance warning of this."

One eyewitness to the Pentagon crash said the plane that crashed appeared to be a commercial airliner that was accelerating as it approached.

"A plane hit the building," David Cook, director of Administration and Management at the Pentagon, the world's biggest office building and home to the Defense Department.

SMOKE BILLOWS FROM PENTAGON

Gray smoke billowed from the five-sided building as the more than 20,000 civilians and military men and women who work in the building streamed into the surrounding parking lots, driven by blue and white strobe alarm lights and wailing signs.

Following direct hits by two airliners into New York's World Trade Center, one into each tower, federal buildings throughout the capital, including the Treasury Department, Congress and the Supreme Court, were evacuated. Security measures were heightened around the city.

When told to evacuate, people raced from buildings instead of casually walking away. Workers downtown left their offices and headed out of the city. Many looked skyward to see if planes were approaching.

A Treasury Department employee, Jim Wilson, said people in his building were very panicky about the incidents in New York and at the Pentagon.

"People were already nervous about the World Trade Center but when they hit the Pentagon, we got really scared," he said.

The White House ordered an evacuation of the White House complex and eyewitnesses said fire trucks surrounded the president's residence as smoke from an undetermined source billowed from outside the grounds on the south side of the complex.

Bush called the events an apparent "terrorist attack" and pledged the U.S. government will "hunt down" those responsible.

More than a dozen fire engines could be seen around the White House. There was no access to Lafayette Square across Pennsylvania Avenue, which was being guarded by officers with sub-machine guns.

The explosion at the Pentagon threw people off their feet inside the building and set off a massive fire, U.S. officials and eyewitnesses said.

Meanwhile in London, an Arab journalist with access to Osama bin Laden said Tuesday that the Saudi dissident warned three weeks ago that he and his followers would carry out an unprecedented attack on U.S. interests for its support of Israel.

Abdel-Bari Atwan, editor of the London-based al-Quds al-Arabi newspaper said Islamic fundamentalists led by bin Laden was "almost certainly" behind the attack of the World Trade Center in New York.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plane Crashes South of Pittsburgh
The Associated Press
Sep 11 2001 11:13AM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - A large plane crashed Tuesday morning just north of the Somerset County Airport, airport and county emergency officials said.
The plane, believed to be a 747 jumbo jet, crashed about 10 a.m. about eight miles east of Jennerstown, according to county 911 dispatchers, WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh reported.

Officials weren't saying what airline was involved. It was unclear if the crash was related to the terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington.

Sean Cavanaugh, a commissioner in neighboring Fayette County, said his emergency management director, Barney Shipley, advised him that the plane originated in either Cleveland or New York and was bound for Chicago, WPXI reported.

Contrary to earlier reports of the plane being a 767, Cavanaugh said he was told the airplane was a Boeing 747, the largest passenger jet flown domestically.

The Somerset County airport, about 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, in a small, rural facility that does not handle such aircraft.

Because of the attacks, the Federal Aviation Administration had ordered all departing flights canceled nationwide, and any planes already in the air were to land a the nearest airport. The plane crashed shortly after the order was issued.

It was not immediately known if the 747 might have been trying to land at the Somerset County airport when the crash occurred.

The crash came the same morning that terrorists crashed two planes into the World Trade Center in New York City and the twin 110-story towers collapsed. Explosions also rocked the Pentagon and the State Department and spread fear across the nation.

There were no other immediate details on the Pennsylvania crash.

bubbas mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All airports are closed in Canada too, the entire world has been haulted. This is the most terrible and crazy thing that has ever happened. The palastines(?) have declared war on the US. I just don't know what to say...I'm in utter shock

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
This is so unbelievable! If this was a movie I would say it wasn't realistic! They say 25,000 people were at the towers at the time!!! All in all there are probably tens of thousands of casualities! This is much worse the Perl Harbor!

I don't think there will be any swift retribution or any at all. There is no country to wage war upon. These are unidentified terror organizations. Even if you know which organization, there's no one place to attack. We share the frustration. These past few months Israel is trying to fight back by destroying the facilities of the terror organizations, but they just change their location. Whenever the people of these organizations are killed, we are criticized all over the world! This is not simple at all!

Our feelings are with the American people. We know what's it like to be under attack and I wish no other nation would have to be in that place. I will be praying for all those in need tonight.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those of you who feel so helpless, you can donate blood. It is very much needed right now. I can't donate mine, but if I could, that is where I would be right now.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Israel is planning to send a rescue mission. We have a lot of experience in these things and I hope we can help even if only a little bit. I hope other countries will follow. I don't suppose any missions can arrive today, not until they open the US sky again.

By the way, no planes are allowed to land in Israel either. The authorities are concerned that one of the planes that are still missing will be directed towards us.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lord Anne, I hope the missing plane isn't headed in your direction. I hope they find it and stop it wherever it is headed. I keep thinking just what AP told me on the phone just now. I keep thinking I will wake up any second and find out I am having a nightmare.
They said they have sealed the Mexico/California border as well as the borders into Canada.....