or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Warning to all dog owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Warning to all dog owners

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I got this in my email and want to share the info with all dog owners . I know we have a few dog owners in here , so please read .

Please pass this on to anyone who owns a dog, wants to own a dog, or has friends who own a dog.


This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56 pound, 5 year old male neutered lab mix who ate half a box of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4 :30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7 AM. I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me---had heard something about it, but....Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitorsof kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an I V catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

This is a very sad case--great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats.

Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, Ohio
post #2 of 6
I just checked that with snopes and it is true. That is scary. Thanks Hedi for letting us know!
post #3 of 6
OMG that's scary...I'll pass that along to my dog owning friends.
post #4 of 6
post #5 of 6
And I just learned something new again.

Thanks Hedi.

post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
I gladly shared with you all .
I have 3 dogs myself and had no clue about it and also gave me a scare . I sure don't want to loose one of my dogs b/c of something like that . I may never forgive myself .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Warning to all dog owners