or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › feline cancer surgery- yes or no????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

feline cancer surgery- yes or no????

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
My friend has an 11 year old tabby cat with white markings on her nose and chest. She is an indoor-outdoor cat, and has been diagnosed with cancer in her nose. We are both very upset with this news!
The vet has strongly recommended to have the cancer (and nose) removed.
She is a very healthy cat otherwise and still acts young!
The vet said she would have about a year or so left without surgery or she may even live a long time....(she has no pain now) With surgery she has a very good chance of recovery but, of course there is that risk with her age and the chance that he wont be able to cut out all the cancer....(she could die within a week!)
My friend is in such a dilemma!!!
She would like to make the best decision for her cat....surgery or not????
I just wanted to hear from anyone with any experience or opinions on this matter...
We would be very grateful!!!!!
post #2 of 8
I haven't had to make that decision, but sending healing vibes and hugs.
post #3 of 8
Katson I have no experience in this. I was wondering that if they cut out the cancer (and nose) how can she possibly survive? Wouldn't this cause some terrible suffering? I don't know. What did the vet mean when he said to cut away the nose? Will be praying for her.
post #4 of 8
This is all too familiar to me. My 12 year old cat has nasal lymphoma which I suspect is what you're friend's kitty has as it's pretty common. I finally figured it out when he was having trouble breathing, eating, purring. Is this vet a specialist or just some local variety vet? I am very fortunate to live in an area where we have a critical care clinic, my vet is an internal specialist and they have a team of top surgeons, oncologists etc. (not bragging) Anyhoo... to make a long story short, they told me that surgery was not a viable option due to the location of the tumor. His tumor was above the soft pallate, kind of behind his nose. I have a hard time believing that your friend's kitty would have much quality of life without a nose! Plus, if it is lymphoma, chances are it's elsewhere too, not just the nose, I think mine may have also had it in his spleen. It was terrifying how fast the lymphoma progressed, it took about 3 weeks to get an accurate diagnosis, my family vet screwed around with antibiotics etc. until I demanded that we go to the specialist. On the brighter side, we were able to do chemotherapy and he responded unbelievably well, the change in him overnight was remarkable, he could breath again. Chemo is an expensive option, a lot of people have mixed feelings about the ethics of it but for me and Gus it's been a good thing. He is full of life again, loves to play and there is no sign of the tumor. If your friend is interested in pursuing that option and you don't have a clinic that does it, check out veterinary colleges or universities as many teach cancer management to their students. At the very least, I would encourage your friend to get a second opinion because cutting off a cat's nose should not be an option. Sorry to ramble!
post #5 of 8
i agree i wouldnt want to jeopardize my cats life by cutting off the nose it seems that would cause more problems than good wish your friend the best for herself and her cat
post #6 of 8
Two words...

Second Opinion

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone for writing back....yes my friend has deceided to go for a second opinion....I have passed on all your messages and advice and she has deceided to see another vet (specialist). It is a gruesome operation, but if thats the only option left to prolong her baby's life then....? I also told her about the chemotherapy and she'll wait to see what this vet recommends....
We scanned a lot of websites for information, but couldn't really find anything of value...just alot of technical info...
thanks once again for replying everyone!
I'll keep you posted on what is happening.....
post #8 of 8
My all white kitty, Marshmallow, has squamous cell carcinoma. He had to have his ear removed last September and a few months ago another tumor popped up on his nose. Our options were the same as your friends... we could have opted for surgery, which we were considering, but the vets advised against it in the end because they didn't feel that they could get a "clean margin" around the cancer cells. We were told that full scale radiation would not save him because of the severity of the tumor. The vets at the University of PA were suggesting palliative radiation, which is a low dose, 4 round cycle of radiation that works to clear up the clinical signs of the cancer. In other words, the tumor would shrink, he would get some relief, etc., but cats who undergo this kind of radiation are not expected to live for more than 1 year after treatment. While he did undergo one round of the palliative radiation, my fiancee and I decided to forego finishing up the last 3 rounds, and instead found a holistic vet and started treatment with her. My advise is this... screw chemo and radiation. These treatments are hard enough on the human body, nevermind a small cat. I strongly, strongly suggest that your friend find a holistic vet and treat her cat in that fashion. There are no guarantees with any kind of treatment, traditional or "alternative." However, at least by treating her cat naturally she is ensuring that no destruction will come to her cat.

And, if it comes down to removing the cats nose or putting the little fella to sleep, I vote for the latter... sadly, I vote for the latter. As a wise, wise woman once told me... I have too much respect for cats to let them suffer.

Feel free to IM me if you'd like to hear about Marshy's progress. Good luck.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › feline cancer surgery- yes or no????