TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Site Help › Stop IMO ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stop IMO ? - Page 2

post #31 of 49
It comes down to choice. I rarely go to "Crossing the Bridge" because it's depressing; but I don't ask it to be removed from TCS.
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileysidney11
Why have IMO in a cat web site anyway.? Let's stick to cats and avoid world situations. There's enough strife without adding more to a cat web site. People can always read/watch the news to get upset. Why not discontinue IMO. What do people think about this idea? IMO end it.
I think this is a legitimate concern - thank you for raising it. Like others have posted here, IMO was created for those in our community who are looking for that extra forum where they can talk world affairs and carry out "heavier" discussions. The sticky at the top of the forum which explains the rules of IMO clearly states that some members may opt to avoid this forum - we figured that it might not be agreeable to some people and that's ok.

IMO is really an extension of the lounge. Just like the "New Cats" forum, it's a place that serves a need for a community that forms here. Community members gather here because they are all cat lovers - but the community itself evolves into something more than just cats.

Hope I'm making sense here.
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayi
It comes down to choice. I rarely go to "Crossing the Bridge" because it's depressing; but I don't ask it to be removed from TCS.
I totally agree, if you don't want to read it, then don't. I also don't go in to "Crossing the Bridge" because if I do, I won't ever be able to stop crying. I like IMO, it keeps me in touch with what is happening outside of my city, there are things in there that I would have never known about if I didn't read it. Yes there are sometimes when I avoid it all together, but there are so many of us on here, we can't expect to all have the same opinion. And I am sure we all try to respect everyone elses opinions. Although I know if one or two people have a different opinion then the rest, it could seem like they are being singled out and ragged on. I am sorry if this happens, but we should all try to keep everything in line!

And with that, I wish everyone a good night (or day) lol!
post #34 of 49
I can see your point, baileysidney. Sometimes it seems like a lot of people get their feelings hurt here. But I really enjoy reading everyone's opinions. And I have posted on sites before that censor anything said that is slightly less than positive, and that is SO annyoing. Those places make me feel like I am in Donna Reed's house circa 1955.

So I was pretty impressed by the IMO forum when I first started posting/lurking on TCS -- though I must admit I don't post much for fear of being attacked.

Aqua
post #35 of 49
I like IMO , it adds a nice demention to the forums that set it apart from other sites ,

just my IMO
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne
I think this is a legitimate concern - thank you for raising it. Like others have posted here, IMO was created for those in our community who are looking for that extra forum where they can talk world affairs and carry out "heavier" discussions. The sticky at the top of the forum which explains the rules of IMO clearly states that some members may opt to avoid this forum - we figured that it might not be agreeable to some people and that's ok.

IMO is really an extension of the lounge. Just like the "New Cats" forum, it's a place that serves a need for a community that forms here. Community members gather here because they are all cat lovers - but the community itself evolves into something more than just cats.

Hope I'm making sense here.
Last fall, on a health site, me and a guy who was clearly a Yankee fan started talking about the baseball playoffs, in one single clearly labeled thread on the forum, which did not have an off-topic section. We even had Boston fans posting civilly with us. You would have thought we set off Armageddon, based on how a few posters reacted. The next day, they set up a 'Conversations' sub-forum, which now ironically gets more posts in it than any of the other forums much of the time. The more time people 'spend' with each other, the more likely it is that other topics off the main one will come up.
post #37 of 49
Groups of people come together because of a common interest, but that doesn't mean that's the only thing they ever want to talk about.

As others have said, it's good to have the opportunity to discuss other things with the people we meet here because of our common interest -- emphasis on "opportunity" -- there is no obligation to visit any forum that's not of interest or that is upsetting for any reason. When my favourite radio station turns to jazz at 10 in the evening, I don't ask them not to run that program, I turn my radio off and do something else.

Keep IMO -- please.
post #38 of 49
Controversy will always exist....discussions of varying opinions will continue to find their way into any message board. I'm glad that these discussions are encouraged to occur in a separate forum....I tend not to visit the IMO section all that often but do find that people are for the most part quite civil there.

Katie
post #39 of 49
IMO and the cat lounge are the 2 places I visit here. I like the cat-related talk in the lounge, and sharing other events in our lives. I also like to get political, and hear other people's opinions on world events. IMO is also a good source of news. It's nice to be able to post my thoughts and know that if someone doesn't agree, they'll say so, but in a nice way. It's a good way to get to the other side of an issue.
post #40 of 49
Definately keep IMO around, it's great to have a place where people can disagree and still be civil. Besides as much as I love my cats, it's nice to talk about other issues with the people on the board, makes them more than one deminsional characters.
post #41 of 49
There are some topics in IMO I avoid, because I know that I will disagree with the posts, and there is no point in getting upset. But in general, I find it very interesting to see what people are concerned about.

And I would like to give an example of what I love about the IMO threads. I feel like I get to "know" people pretty well on this board, reading what they post and the kind of advice they give. So there are a lot of people I have a lot of respect for.

I have lots of preconceived ideas about American politics, being a Canadian, and I have many criticisms of the current government. However, when I see really well thought out posts from the people I respect, supporting an opinion I disagree with, it makes me think, a lot, about the more subtle nuances in the situation. And often I have tempered my own opinion based on the detail and well thought out and well expressed posts from people on this board.

I don't come to IMO for news, per se, but I do come here to see what good reasons people might have for disagreeing with me.
post #42 of 49
Thank you for the nice feedback on IMO everyone. And a big thank you to all of the IMO mods - past and present - who work so hard to make this place as nice as the rest of the forums!
post #43 of 49
Better late than never!

Keep IMO
post #44 of 49
Keep IMO. IMO brought me to this site in the first place. If you girls keep complaining, be careful this entire subject will have to be moved into the regular IMO site.

On another note, I normally post on newspaper forums where the subjects and the words get rather heated. You all have it made here. There are different opinions, but I haven't seen anyone lose control yet.
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatCatcher
Keep IMO. IMO brought me to this site in the first place. If you girls keep complaining, be careful this entire subject will have to be moved into the regular IMO site.

On another note, I normally post on newspaper forums where the subjects and the words get rather heated. You all have it made here. There are different opinions, but I haven't seen anyone lose control yet.
Actually, girl, I think we are safe here in that the moderators & site hosts will not stand for posts merely for the sake of argument that
litter the newspaper forums and make many of them a waste of time to read. By the way, this thread was moved to Feedback, from IMO already.
post #46 of 49
If the IMO posts disturb you when you're searching new posts, you can usually avoid them by either the subject - often IMO subject lines are a giveaway , or at the column on the far right - it lists the forum in which each post is displayed. Usually I can tell just by the subject line whether or not it's something I'm in the mood to see.

Personally, I really enjoy the IMO forum - it provides lively debate and comments about all sorts of interesting subjects, and it's definitely a reminder that we're all different people with different views, united by our love of cats. There are many people here whose views differ from mine but whom I greatly respect as individuals with opinions formed by their own life experiences, just as my life experiences have formed mine. Sometimes it's an eye-opener, sometimes I just smile & nod with the ones I agree with, and roll my eyes at the ones I don't. But it's usually pretty entertaining either way, and I've rarely seen it get nasty. (Thanks, mods!) And if it gets too hot in the kitchen, I just step out for a while.
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatCatcher
Keep IMO. IMO brought me to this site in the first place. If you girls keep complaining, be careful this entire subject will have to be moved into the regular IMO site.

On another note, I normally post on newspaper forums where the subjects and the words get rather heated. You all have it made here. There are different opinions, but I haven't seen anyone lose control yet.
Actually, Ratcatcher, the thread started out in IMO and was moved here. Anyway, our IMO mods, and all of our mods, really work hard to keep this site a friendly place. We have seen here and on other boards how heated words spawn nothing but more heated words and nothing productive. It's easy to just call somebody a name; tougher to argue your point logically and respectfully. It's been a learning experience for all of us, I think.
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb25
We have seen here and on other boards how heated words spawn nothing but more heated words and nothing productive. It's easy to just call somebody a name; tougher to argue your point logically and respectfully. It's been a learning experience for all of us, I think.
So true...
post #49 of 49
I have noticed some threads posted here with no one commenting. I have merely gone on them and made some brash remark just to get someone to comment. I should put out my shingle and be paid for all the threads I have made to work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Site Help › Stop IMO ?