TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › City Ordinance on number of pets?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

City Ordinance on number of pets?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Just a couple questions to get some talk going about this.
Are you aware of any law in your town/city/county that tells you how many pets you can have?
Is it broken down by the type of animal or all animals combined?
If you know what your number is, are you within those guidelines? If you arent, why not?
Do you feel comfortable enough that you wont get caught?
What would you do if you did get caught?
You would probably have to choose which ones would have to go, right?
If you are under or at the limit at this time, would you ever be tempted to go over? Why or why not?

I just need to know where people stand on this
If I wanted to fight the guideline would I stand much chance? Are exceptions ever made? If so, for what types of reasons?

Thanks for any answers!
post #2 of 25
I my city, I am only allowed 5 pets (maybe 4, have to double check). I have 17 pets. Am I worried? No, why? Because they are not going to take them away unless a) I don't care for them. or b) people/neighbors complain. I doubt that will happen as I take great care of my pets, and I can see no reason for anyone to complain. If I got 'caught' I'm sure I could fight it and win, worse comes to worse, I would move.
post #3 of 25
We have a 5 cat/dog limit in our town, and we have 3 cats, 3 dogs, 1 cockatiel, and 1 rabbit. The animal shelter, who also does pet licensing/animal control, adopted out Nellie (our 6th cat/dog) to us fulling knowing this, but they also know that we take great care of our pets. If we wanted to, we could easily get another pet from them because they trust us. I'm not worried about having to give up any of my pets and would go to court before doing so, but that's not much of a concern for us anyways.
post #4 of 25
It's 5 animals combined here. My aunt has 2 dogs, 5 cats and (at last count) 6 hamsters. She shrugs her shoulders at the law. She got all the cats and dogs from the animal shelter and they know shes over limit but her reasoning is, shes saved at least 7 animals from being put to sleep.
post #5 of 25
Here we can have 3 dogs, 3 pigs (why would I want 3 pigs in my house as well?) and up to 7 cats. We have 2 dogs and 9 cats, I am not worried though.
post #6 of 25
4 adult dogs + 4 adult cats + 4 adult rabbits. >4 months = adult. Dogs, cats & ferrets have to be vaccinated against rabies.

I am not afraid, I AM the law!

WOuld you have to choose? Nope. I do it for you. When we encounter a major violation, it results in ALL animals going for a ride to the shelter.

Tempted to go over the limit, the only break is if they are all licensed and have been since 1999 when the code was changed. If its clean, you may be given a while to "get legal". If its a mess, we take you too!
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Kumpf
4 adult dogs + 4 adult cats + 4 adult rabbits. >4 months = adult. Dogs, cats & ferrets have to be vaccinated against rabies.

I am not afraid, I AM the law!

WOuld you have to choose? Nope. I do it for you. When we encounter a major violation, it results in ALL animals going for a ride to the shelter.

Tempted to go over the limit, the only break is if they are all licensed and have been since 1999 when the code was changed. If its clean, you may be given a while to "get legal". If its a mess, we take you too!
One more example of the "Almighty Gummint" run completely out of control.

The only legitimite business any government has with the pets a person has is if they are a nusiance, a health hazard or are being mistreated. The only possible line of reasoning under which a city limits the number of pets a person can keep is so logically faulty that it can't even be argued with.
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Catfur
One more example of the "Almighty Gummint" run completely out of control.

The only legitimite business any government has with the pets a person has is if they are a nusiance, a health hazard or are being mistreated. The only possible line of reasoning under which a city limits the number of pets a person can keep is so logically faulty that it can't even be argued with.
I totally agree with you. The shelters have so many animals of peoplethat dump them, what does the law do to them??? Nothing unless caught and then its not much. Whats the point of taking a families beloved pets away just because they are over some stupid limit.
post #9 of 25
We don't have any laws here on the number of animals a person can have.

I have 11 cats in here(plus my 3 orphaned kittens)and I don't see what it is anyone's business how many cats I have in MY home,as long as they are well taken care of and my house is not reeking of cat waste.
post #10 of 25
Pet Ownership - It is unlawful to own more than five dogs or three cats (10 cats if confined within a structure) on a residential lot smaller than 10,000 square feet

We are within the limit- 5 cats (3 indoor-only, 1 indoor-outdoor, 1 outdoor-only former feral), and 3 dogs. 1 of our dogs was a stray, and we're trying to find a home for her, at which time we'll be back down to 2. I am NOT tempted to go over the limit - we can either take good care of a few, or poor care of many, and I opt for the former. When we can, we take in & rehome one stray at a time. Other than that, I have to just turn the other way - the no-kill shelters are always full, and we simply don't have $ or space to take in every stray that comes along.

It seems a losing battle when you're surrounded by people who think it's wrong to spay or neuter a pet, but that it's OK to dump animals, or turn in endless litters of kittens and puppies to the pound for euthanization. I think whenever someone does that, they should be forced to spend a day watching euthanizations.

Off the soapbox...

I think the only time our city actually cracks down on anyone is if there are complaints.

If you're over the limit, be extra careful: keep your house/yard spotless, your animals well-cared for, and try to stay on friendly terms with your neighbors. Make sure you have a backup plan so that your pets will be cared for if anything happens to you.
post #11 of 25
Our town limits you to two dogs, which must be licensed and kept on a leash when outside the home or enclosed yard. Certain breeds (e.g., bull terriers, Staffordshire, American Staffordshire) must also be muzzled. Poultry may not be kept as pets (?). There's no limit on any other pets, and no license fees. A lot of people seem to ignore the laws here, because they're not strictly enforced. We're well within the limit. Yes, I would be tempted to go over the limit, and may very well in the not-too-distant future if I have to take my mom's pets.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Kumpf
4 adult dogs + 4 adult cats + 4 adult rabbits. >4 months = adult. Dogs, cats & ferrets have to be vaccinated against rabies.

I am not afraid, I AM the law!

WOuld you have to choose? Nope. I do it for you. When we encounter a major violation, it results in ALL animals going for a ride to the shelter.

Tempted to go over the limit, the only break is if they are all licensed and have been since 1999 when the code was changed. If its clean, you may be given a while to "get legal". If its a mess, we take you too!
Mark, I found your comment regarding "would you have to choose? NOPE. I do it for you.. ALL animals goes for a ride" VERY INTERESTING AND A BIT DISTURBING. I have watched Animal Planet cop shows. Sometimes the cops would have the owners choose which pets to surrender to lower their quota IF the pets are in good condition, etc. Why CAN'T VIRGINIA DO THIS???

Can you clarify why Viriginia seems NOT WILLING to work with owners regarding this?
post #13 of 25
Mark,

I am moving to a new city/state and I have called the police in that town and inquired about pet # laws - they have told me that there are none. With 3 cats we would probably not be over thel limit if there were any, but we also have 11 birds, which no one seems to have a limit for ("they" have never heard 11 birds scream!)

The town I hope to be moving to is Bainbridge Township, Ohio. Is there anywhere else but the police that I should contact to double check? I searched for animal shelters in the area and the only thing I could find was a "Dog pound" that sounded like they truly only took care of dogs.

Thanks for your help.
post #14 of 25
I think, but I'm not certain that we are allowed 3 cats and 2 dogs here in Los Angeles, if you go over the limit, you have to get a kennel's license. I might not be 100% accurate on that, though. But I'm pretty sure about the 3 cat limit.
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Pamela
Mark, I found your comment regarding "would you have to choose? NOPE. I do it for you.. ALL animals goes for a ride" VERY INTERESTING AND A BIT DISTURBING. I have watched Animal Planet cop shows. Sometimes the cops would have the owners choose which pets to surrender to lower their quota IF the pets are in good condition, etc. Why CAN'T VIRGINIA DO THIS???

Can you clarify why Viriginia seems NOT WILLING to work with owners regarding this?
OK! You got me. Anyone look at the date on the post? (4/1/04...) A little bit heavy on the "Sylvester Stallone Judge Dredd" but hey, gotta have a little fun stirring it up. April Fools only comes once a year! For more civilized and compassionate answers, check out the Ask the ACO thread in Cats SOS.

Don't get me started on the "Animal Cops" but suffice it to say, we are much more interested in education and compliance vs. enforcement and confiscation. The previous poster was absolutely correct when they said we have PLENTY dumped at our door - why go look for more.
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Talon
Mark,

I am moving to a new city/state and I have called the police in that town and inquired about pet # laws - they have told me that there are none. With 3 cats we would probably not be over thel limit if there were any, but we also have 11 birds, which no one seems to have a limit for ("they" have never heard 11 birds scream!)

The town I hope to be moving to is Bainbridge Township, Ohio. Is there anywhere else but the police that I should contact to double check? I searched for animal shelters in the area and the only thing I could find was a "Dog pound" that sounded like they truly only took care of dogs.

Thanks for your help.
Ohio has a poor record when it comes to cats. Most localities do NOT handle them at all which is in my opinion an abrogation of their responsibility. Ohio still has "dog wardens" and hasn't quite made it out of the 60s. Good luck.

PS - I was BORN in Ohio so I have a right to comment on my home state of affairs...
post #17 of 25
First of all, I'm not sure what the limit is for my city. I also am not sure where to find out. (court house, library, police station)?

I think that as long as the pets are fed, watered, have shelter and no one complains, you can have as many as you want.
post #18 of 25
Call me an April fool.
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Kumpf
Ohio has a poor record when it comes to cats. Most localities do NOT handle them at all which is in my opinion an abrogation of their responsibility. Ohio still has "dog wardens" and hasn't quite made it out of the 60s. Good luck.

PS - I was BORN in Ohio so I have a right to comment on my home state of affairs...
Considering that the police officer I spoke with said that state laws were still such that shooting nuscince cats is allowable. How would we get something like that changed?
post #20 of 25
The town I live in (actually a small city) has a 3 pet limit total no matter what kind it is (not sure on fish though). A breeder or rescue group needs a permit to have more than the limit.
post #21 of 25
In my County, Mohave County in Arizona, I can have as many cats (or animals) as I want. This is a rural county and there are very few laws, (very few people also).

This works, sometimes I would like the laws to be changed but then, I find that many times I can use the laws to work for me. In my County, if you feed an animal for seven days it is legal considered yours. I used this law, when I rescued 12 cats from a 10 by 12 fifth wheel in a trailer park. Now the cats are legally mine.

Animal Control, where I live, offers certificates to low income people to spay or nueter their pet. I have already gotten my two, but I can ask people at work to get some for me. I currently need 6 female cat spays and 4 male nueters. I talked with animal control and asked them for the certificates they said that I already had mine. Then I told them that I would be asking people from work to get me some. They said that the certificates would be in their name. Then I remined them of the seven day law. The woman I spoke to had to agree that I was following the law.

Sometimes you can use the laws to work for you.

Goblin
post #22 of 25
I am in ohio ...and our area has no laws on cats...as a matter of fact the shelter will not take cats from our area...needless to say we have tons of cats here and many feral colonies...
people feed them but they do not get proper vet care...
Lorien
post #23 of 25
Where I live here in Thomas Co GA the people at the shelter told me that you can have 3 dogs inside the city limits and unlimited outside the city limits. I live outside the city limits so I am well within the ordinance of this town. There was no mention of cats, but I am sure that an unspoken limit is there. I will have to check this out more.

Would I be tempted to go the limit? In a word......yes! However I would rather give quality care to a few than poor care to a quanity of animals. I know what I can afford to take care of so with my 3 dogs and 2 cats I give all of the love I can.
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by vettechstudent
We don't have any laws here on the number of animals a person can have.

I have 11 cats in here(plus my 3 orphaned kittens)and I don't see what it is anyone's business how many cats I have in MY home,as long as they are well taken care of and my house is not reeking of cat waste.
ditto here !

They did vote on a "limit" a few mos. ago but it lost ! I dont live in the city limits anyway.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Ohio has a poor record when it comes to cats. Most localities do NOT handle them at all which is in my opinion an abrogation of their responsibility.
Mark...I'm surprized you say this...in Virginia I know of at least 2 (and I'm sure there are more)counties that only accept dogs and do NOTHING for cats. It's a shame really...puts alot more of the burden on cat rescues and TNR groups...since there are no cat facilities, if you do not want to rehome your cat...you simply "dump it".

Katie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › City Ordinance on number of pets?