|Originally posted by clarabelle
I do sew and you have done a knock out job! Keep up the sewing it can only help you later. What pattern did you use? and is the material satin? How was sewing the back bodice section? I love talking to people who sew. Right now I am sewing 1860 period correct clothes for my family since we do Living History events at National State Parks. Keep up the good work
The pattern was Simplicity 5235, and the material is satin. These pictures don't really do the material justice - it is really luxurious. The contrast color is champagne colored, and matches the red nicely.
The back lacing is ornamental only - it can be tightened slightly, but not much. Mom & I made the bodice section a little roomy to start, then fitted it to her twice, so it really fits her nicely (but she can't gain even 1 pound between now and prom!!!) The lacing in the back is threaded through 20 buttonholes - that was one of the most nerve-racking parts of the dress, trying to make sure those buttonholes were even! Luckily, mom got a new computerized sewing machine, and it sews the buttonholes very evenly, so we just had to be really careful to make sure they were lined up right to start.
Probably the toughest part for me was learning how to install a hidden zipper - we bought an extra one, and installed it a couple of times into a practice scrap of fabric. We took our time on it, and it turned out really well. Whew!
Thanks for all the nice compliments - this is the first 'real' piece of clothing I've made - I've made lots of jammies and Halloween costumes, stuff like that. I was pretty excited at how well it turned out!
I will try to post prom pictures - I will have to figure out how to remote-link them so that the resolution is better.