TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › At My Wit's End!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

At My Wit's End! - Page 2

post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisfaye View Post

True. But then my coat goes back up!

You don't have to buy a lot of Wellness or other expensive brands.  I typically pick them up when there are discounts I can stack -- sale price, store coupon, manufacturer coupons.  Sometimes the "expensive" brands end up costing less than the "cheap" ones!

 

Wellness sends out a monthly newsletter with coupons.  Each coupon can be printed twice! :)

post #32 of 56
Thread Starter 

Whoa thanks! That is great news. 

post #33 of 56

One option to Wellness or other premium wet food is cooked food.  you cook meat for a few minutes in some water, let t cool,t hen add the mix.  it is pretty quick and easy, and provides a very good quality food for cheap.

post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon View Post
 

One option to Wellness or other premium wet food is cooked food.  you cook meat for a few minutes in some water, let t cool,t hen add the mix.  it is pretty quick and easy, and provides a very good quality food for cheap.

Yes, this is a great option.  Just make sure you supplement the meat properly!  See the Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food forum for resources and help.

post #35 of 56
Thread Starter 
What is the best way to introduce new food?
post #36 of 56

This article gives some tips on ways to introduce new food.  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/transitioning-your-cat-from-kibble-to-a-new-type-of-food-canned-raw-or-homemade

 

I've never had any problems going from one canned food to the next.  Sometimes, they refused to eat it right away but I never noticed any digestive upset.

post #37 of 56
Thread Starter 

Thank you for that! I think maybe I will give them half the amount of wellness I usually give and then a bit of the Sheba to see how they like it! I'm just going to grab a couple cans from the store before I commit to an order on Chewys. I did cancel my amazon subscribe and save of Wellness, so hopefully the Sheba works out!!

post #38 of 56
Thread Starter 

So after all this, it looks like my kitties don't really like the Sheba. 2 of the 3 of them ate the chicken, but not the turkey. The 3rd cat wouldn't eat either. UGH. I plan on adding in some Fancy Feast, but that can't be their main food because of cost. So back to the drawing board- I need new suggestions to try!!!

post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisfaye View Post
 

So after all this, it looks like my kitties don't really like the Sheba. 2 of the 3 of them ate the chicken, but not the turkey. The 3rd cat wouldn't eat either. UGH. I plan on adding in some Fancy Feast, but that can't be their main food because of cost. So back to the drawing board- I need new suggestions to try!!!

Fancy Feast should cost approximately the same as Sheba.  Where are you purchasing it from?

post #40 of 56
Thread Starter 

Unfortunately it doesn't! I checked the prices on Amazon and Chewy's. On amazon, sheba has a subscribe and save option whichmakes it cheaper and chewys has a sheba discount as well. FF doesnt qualify for subscribe and save or the chewy discount. 

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisfaye View Post
 

Unfortunately it doesn't! I checked the prices on Amazon and Chewy's. On amazon, sheba has a subscribe and save option whichmakes it cheaper and chewys has a sheba discount as well. FF doesnt qualify for subscribe and save or the chewy discount. 

I usually purchase Fancy Feast from Target or PetSmart.  You have to shop the sales and use coupons to get a decent price on most foods.

 

Also, you can try mixing some Sheba into the Wellness and gradually increase the amount of Sheba.

post #42 of 56
Thread Starter 

Unfortunately I dont have any time to go to the different stores and price shop. We've always done subscribe and save and had all our cases delivered. I also wouldnt be able to carry the cases home due to health issues. That being said, we were paying about $120 for 4 cases of the Wellness 12.5 oz cans. I'm hoping to decrease that amount a bit and the FF actually ended up being more on amazon and chewy!

 

We gave them the wellness with a little cut of the sheba. You think actually mixing them up together could help?! 

post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisfaye View Post
 

Unfortunately I dont have any time to go to the different stores and price shop. We've always done subscribe and save and had all our cases delivered. I also wouldnt be able to carry the cases home due to health issues. That being said, we were paying about $120 for 4 cases of the Wellness 12.5 oz cans. I'm hoping to decrease that amount a bit and the FF actually ended up being more on amazon and chewy!

 

We gave them the wellness with a little cut of the sheba. You think actually mixing them up together could help?! 

It might help, but it's also possible that your kitties just don't like the Sheba.  It's hard to say.  Cats can be picky and resistant to change, especially if they haven't had much variety in the past.

post #44 of 56

@alexisfaye, just FYI -- Target is running a sale on pet supplies this week.  Spend $40+ to get $10 off.  The discount doesn't just apply to food, so you can also pick up some other supplies at the same time.

 

If you order online you can also get an additional 10% off if you use Order Pickup instead of getting it shipped to your home.  And if you use a Target REDcard, you'll get an additional 5% off on top of that.

 

Example order of Fancy Feast Classic:

 Purina Fancy Feast Classic Poultry & Beef Feast Variety Cat Food 30-3 oz. Cans ($17.49)

2× Purina Fancy Feast Classic Poultry & Beef Feast Variety Cat Food 24-3 oz. Cans ($13.59)

[ ( $17.49 + 2 × $13.59 ) × 0.9 - $10.00 ] * 0.95 ≈ $28.69

$28.69 ÷ (78 cans) ≈ $0.37/can

 

You can make multiple orders to maximize your discount.  The 10% Order Pickup discount will apply first, so your total still needs to be over $40 after taking 10% off to get the $10 off coupon to apply.  The REDcard discount applies at the end.

 

The Tender Beef Feast and Chicken Feast in the 24-count orange variety pack do contain fish as the 4th or 5th ingredient.  I think they are still okay because fish is not the primary ingredient, but if you want to avoid fish altogether you can just buy the green variety packs.

 

There is also a 12-count Sheba variety pack ($5.69) that qualifies for the discounts, but the flavors included are Chicken, Beef, and Salmon.

 

Alternatively, you also can purchase individual cans at $0.57 each (Sheba and Fancy Feast are same price) before discounts.  Ordering 79 cans will maximize your discount.

( 79 × $0.57 × 0.9 - $10.00 ) * 0.95 ≈ $29.00

$29.00 ÷ (79 cans) ≈ $0.37/can

 

Hope this helps! :)

post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorimon View Post
 

@alexisfaye, just FYI -- Target is running a sale on pet supplies this week.  Spend $40+ to get $10 off.  The discount doesn't just apply to food, so you can also pick up some other supplies at the same time.

 

If you order online you can also get an additional 10% off if you use Order Pickup instead of getting it shipped to your home.  And if you use a Target REDcard, you'll get an additional 5% off on top of that.

 

 

The Target sales ad has the clippable coupon. It also says that the coupon can be found in the Carthweel app or by texting PETS to Target (827438). If you go to Target.com and click on Weekly Ad at the top of the page, you'll see your local Target ad and the coupon is in there. I'm not sure if you can print it out.

 

To use the coupon on Target.com, use promo code PETS.

 

Sometimes at Target and other big box stores there is a sales shelf or two in the pet care aisle, usually on the "end cap" shelves facing the store walls. I've found cans of FF and Friskies there for like $0.30 each. None were even close to expiring.

post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTS3 View Post
 

The Target sales ad has the clippable coupon. It also says that the coupon can be found in the Carthweel app or by texting PETS to Target (827438). If you go to Target.com and click on Weekly Ad at the top of the page, you'll see your local Target ad and the coupon is in there. I'm not sure if you can print it out.

 

To use the coupon on Target.com, use promo code PETS.

 

Sometimes at Target and other big box stores there is a sales shelf or two in the pet care aisle, usually on the "end cap" shelves facing the store walls. I've found cans of FF and Friskies there for like $0.30 each. None were even close to expiring.

Oops, thanks for posting the coupon code.  I forgot, silly me! :lol3:

 

To add to what @LTS3 said about purchasing in-store... stores will also price match the online Target.com price, and certain other retailers (Amazon, Walmart, etc.).  You'd be able to use any manufacturer coupons you have as well.  However, you wouldn't be eligible for the Order Pickup 10% discount.

post #47 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorimon View Post
 

Oops, thanks for posting the coupon code.  I forgot, silly me! :lol3:

 

To add to what @LTS3 said about purchasing in-store... stores will also price match the online Target.com price, and certain other retailers (Amazon, Walmart, etc.).  You'd be able to use any manufacturer coupons you have as well.  However, you wouldn't be eligible for the Order Pickup 10% discount.

Thank you both so much! I will run to Target after work and pick some up. I have a red card and the cartwhell app, so I'll what I can do! I'm also going to stop at petsmart and pickup some wellness cans so that we can continue to try to transition them slowly. Thanks!!!!!!

post #48 of 56
I like whole earth farms duck and beef pate, they also have chicken and turkey, I believe it is cheaper than wellness, I buy 24 5 oz cans from chewy or Amazon. I have the worlds fussiest cats and this is one they love that's grain free and not real cheap stuff. $25 for 24 cans. The price isn't much different but they never vomit. Dry food does that to them.
post #49 of 56
Thread Starter 

Thanks!! How much do you feed them per day? My cats are wet food only. 

post #50 of 56
Mine also I have two, huge male age 7 and female age 9. I use two cans 5 oz a day. He gets more.
For treats I buy large dog size bag of purebites freeze dried chicken from chewy or Amazon. Cats used to vomit on dry, now I just give a few bits of dry (for ferals) when I need their attention like when I furminate them, I give Merrick dry, just a teaspoon. They also enjoy soulistic chicken dinner shreds and pate. This is sold at petco only and is more expensive. They also like Merrick rabbit, also more expensive. I rotate the two Whole earth flavors of duck or beef or the Merrick rabbit at night and in morning I give them the soulistic chicken pate and shreds dinner in Gelee. It took me a couple of years to narrow down a grain free, carrageenan free food they liked! I add some spring water to their canned food also. They have never had any issues with vomiting or potty issues since I ditched the dry food!
Edited by bonepicker - 2/20/17 at 7:40am
post #51 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonepicker View Post

Mine also I have two, huge male age 7 and female age 9. I use two cans 5 oz a day. He gets more.
For treats I buy large dog size bag of purebites freeze dried chicken from chewy or Amazon. Cats used to vomit on dry, now I just give a few bits of dry (for ferals) when I need their attention like when I furminate them, I give Merrick dry, just a teaspoon. They also enjoy soulistic chicken dinner shreds and pate. This is sold at petco only and is more expensive. They also like Merrick rabbit, also more expensive. I rotate the two Whole earth flavors of duck or beef or the Merrick rabbit at night and in morning I give them the soulistic chicken pate and shreds dinner in Gelee. It took me a couple of years to narrow down a grain free, carrageenan free food they liked! I add some spring water to their canned food also. They have never had any issues with vomiting or potty issues since I ditched the dry food!

Thanks for the info!! I will look into this food. Right now we are trying FF and Sheba.

post #52 of 56
Thread Starter 

So I grabbed a bunch of FF and Sheba at Target. I decided to go with the perfect portion things from Sheba, just until we have fully integrated that food into their diet. I think the portions are like 2.6 oz. That being said, do I just give one 2.6 oz portion per meal (breakfast and dinner)?

post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisfaye View Post
 

So I grabbed a bunch of FF and Sheba at Target. I decided to go with the perfect portion things from Sheba, just until we have fully integrated that food into their diet. I think the portions are like 2.6 oz. That being said, do I just give one 2.6 oz portion per meal (breakfast and dinner)?


  Yes, that's how I give it.  They come in packages of 2 with each component being 1.3 oz so I give each cat one of the 1.3 oz components. 

post #54 of 56
Thread Starter 

That will be quite a bit less than what they are currently eating now. They get like 3oz per meal.

post #55 of 56

My cats get fed three times a day, though.  They also have supplemental kibble at night.   Since yours are only being fed twice a day, I'd give each cat the full 2.6 oz. 

post #56 of 56
Thread Starter 

Gotcha, ok. We are only going to use the perfect portions temporarily until we order from Chewy. It's obviously not cost effective to give them these every day.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › At My Wit's End!