TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Advice on the FURminator
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice on the FURminator

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Does anyone have any experience with the FURminator de-shedding brush for cats? I have been thinking of getting this, but I just wanted to get some feedback first.

post #2 of 19

I will be watching this for posts also.  My white kitty sheds so very, very much... I am afraid I am over grooming her but if I skip a day she starts pulling her own fur out.

post #3 of 19

Awesome tool. Can't live without it. Good for both my long and short hair cats.

post #4 of 19

I love it, it really is a great tool for really thorough grooming. 

post #5 of 19

We have a lot of reviews of this tool that you may find helpful:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/furminator-deshedding-tool-for-cats

post #6 of 19

I use it about once a month on Shortstack, since he sheds so horribly in the winter when it's drier inside.  Sometimes I use it once a week.  Be careful and don't use it too often, use a regular brush on the other days.  It's basically a clipper blade and can cause damage if overused.  I learned that the hard way!  Shortstack got abrasions and his hair thinned badly in spots near his tail on his back, that's when I learned about the damage if you use it too much.  It looked like it burned his skin, and I wasn't using pressure at all when I used it.

post #7 of 19

Our cats love it. They come running when we take it out of the drawer.

post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 

Ok so....it's not a brush? What is it like hair clippers? Can't really tell from the static photos on Amazon.

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by desktop View Post
 

Ok so....it's not a brush? What is it like hair clippers? Can't really tell from the static photos on Amazon.

It's kind of like a comb, but it grabs the undercoat.  Does a very different job than any comb can do.  You'd be amazed at how much fur you can get off in just a few strokes.

post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptopper View Post
 

Our cats love it. They come running when we take it out of the drawer.

Same here :D

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by desktop View Post
 

Ok so....it's not a brush? What is it like hair clippers? Can't really tell from the static photos on Amazon.


It's basically the same thing groomers to do a dog when pulling undercoat...it's called "carding".  They use generally a 40 count clipper blade's edge and "rake" with it to remove undercoat.  A lot of groomers call them carding knives.  It's more like the edge of a clipper blade, all the little teeth, that pull the undercoat.

My cat loves it too like others have said!  But overuse will damage the undercoat, and sometimes it won't grow back in.

post #12 of 19
I like using it for my two and they don't object. It definitely works and I do not have an abundance of fur in my condo or on my clothes.

I normally do a quick groom twice a week for my longer-furred (still a shorthair though) tabby and once a week for my shorter-furred grey girl.
post #13 of 19

My cats Atticus and Thirteen love it!  They purr like kittens when I use it on them.  Lunchbox, my friend's very fat cat, loves it too.  Given his significant girth he has some grooming issues and the Furminator is wonderful for them. 

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavishSqualor View Post
 

My cats Atticus and Thirteen love it!  They purr like kittens when I use it on them.  Lunchbox, my friend's very fat cat, loves it too.  Given his significant girth he has some grooming issues and the Furminator is wonderful for them. 


I absolutely snorted and LOL'd when I read his name, Lunchbox!  What a wonderful name, I absolutely love that!!  Shortstack has grooming issues too due to his, er, rolls!

post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the great replies. I'm going to get one and try it on my cats. Should I get the large one or the small one?

 

FURminator on Amazon

post #16 of 19

I got the small one so I could get up under his "arms" and around the back of his legs easier (while he's twisting and flopping around, he goes stupid when I brush him!)

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavishSqualor View Post
 

My cats Atticus and Thirteen love it!  They purr like kittens when I use it on them.  Lunchbox, my friend's very fat cat, loves it too.  Given his significant girth he has some grooming issues and the Furminator is wonderful for them. 

Briefly going off topic. Lunchbox has made my list of the top 5 best cat names ever. It made me LMAO. Can you ask your friend for a photo of him?? I would LOVE to see one. I doubt I am alone in that. 

 

I have a Furminator and I'm not impressed with it. I have 2 Persians and it didn't do much on them. I did get the one for longhaired cats. Their coats are very different. Lily's is long, fine and very silky. Sophie's is more like what you'd expect a Persian's coat to look like. She has LOTS of the cottony undercoat. Lily doesn't have as much

post #18 of 19

Hey Kat, let me dig around and see if I can find one.  Poor Lunchbox went un-named for the first two years of his life.  He was called "Orange Kitty," which is clearly not very original, until one day my friend had to take him to the vet and asked me to go with him.

 

 Orange Kitty ate like a champ and was sadly overweight.  My friend just couldn't help but succumb to his plaintive cries for food, so when we were in the car driving him to the vet and Orange Kitty began to meow, I said to my friend somewhat glibly, "What? You didn't pack Orange Kitty a lunchbox for the trip across town?"  My friend and I looked at each other and in that moment we both knew:  Orange Kitty had become Lunchbox!

 

Lunchbox looks like you would imagine a large sixteen pound male orange tabby to look, but I'll try to find a picture.  

post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavishSqualor View Post
 

Hey Kat, let me dig around and see if I can find one.  Poor Lunchbox went un-named for the first two years of his life.  He was called "Orange Kitty," which is clearly not very original, until one day my friend had to take him to the vet and asked me to go with him.

 

 Orange Kitty ate like a champ and was sadly overweight.  My friend just couldn't help but succumb to his plaintive cries for food, so when we were in the car driving him to the vet and Orange Kitty began to meow, I said to my friend somewhat glibly, "What? You didn't pack Orange Kitty a lunchbox for the trip across town?"  My friend and I looked at each other and in that moment we both knew:  Orange Kitty had become Lunchbox!

 

Lunchbox looks like you would imagine a large sixteen pound male orange tabby to look, but I'll try to find a picture.  

Thanks. I love big cats. @Norachan has Little Boy who I am in love with. He's allegedly overweight but I think he's gorgeous and perfect the way he is. :love:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Advice on the FURminator