New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What breed could he be?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Simba is currently just 4 months old and it looks like he's got some Maine Coon in him. Judging by the picture, can anyone tell me if I'm right? If not, then what breed does he resemble?

post #2 of 16

Domestic longhair, but I think she has a recent persian ancestry.

post #3 of 16

ps. More pics are welcome!

post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
I would say Persian mix too, except his comparatively long and lean body suggests otherwise. I'm still curious but, he is beautiful and I love him to bits, regardless of whether or not he is of a distinct breed.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcurls View Post

I would say Persian mix too, except his comparatively long and lean body suggests otherwise. I'm still curious but, he is beautiful and I love him to bits, regardless of whether or not he is of a distinct breed.

Ah, but its because he IS a mix.  The face on pic one reveals it all - a flat face persian as a fresh Ancestor. Granddad or perhaps even a parent.

 

Whom the other significant is, we cant know - but probably it was someone carrying red and tabby, perhaps even a red tabby...  Ie a common ginger cat.

 

 

Good you send more pics.  The face is seen best on the first one, but the coloring there was peculiar.  White with red spots?  What is it?  I though.

 

But without the intensive flash, we see the coloring is a rather regular red tabby. Bread and butter.   :)

post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Yess as per my knowledge, the mother is a longhair cat and the father is a shorthair red tabby cat, and Simba has some some prominent tabby markings as well which can be seen when his fur well is combed. Makes sense.👍🏼😊
post #7 of 16

Since he is longer than a Persian he might have Maine Coon in him. Those cats grow to be BIG and don't reach their full size until they are 4 years old. Hard to say at this point. Does his hair tangle or is it easy to comb? Persians tangle something awful and Maine Coons do not. Both types of cats have relatively short legs and have hair between their toes. He is a pretty baby. Let's see more pics. 

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 






He's 6 months old, bigger and heavier than any of my other cats were at that age. And no, his fur never gets tangled and is always easy to comb. I've had Persians before, where their fur would get tangled even if I went just a couple of days without combing. Although I brush simba almost daily I feel like his fur is almost incapable of getting tangled. The fur underneath his tail however has to be combed regularly from going outside and getting grass stuck to it and whatnot, because it's so long.
post #10 of 16

Thank you for these pictures, they show that this is no Persian. He looks so much like my Chamouti he may very well be a Maine Coon or at least mostly Maine Coon. Since you don't have papers for him officially you cannot call him Maine Coon but a Maine Coon Mix, but if somebody just casually asks you and even your vet, you can safely declare him to be that. Handle him a lot and he will be a real lap cat, always wanting to be with you and looking for cuddles, a real live teddy bear..

The distinct stripes on his face make him a tabby, his color is red with cream. He's going to grow up to be one gorgeous cat, it will take him up to 4 years to get to his full size and weigh at least 12 lbs and possibly 20 lbs. Yes, that big without being fat. His deep orange eyes with eye liner are a real asset, Chamouti's eyes are much paler and he has no eye liner but has a bit of very dark red around his inner lips which shows sometimes around his mouth where the fang is missing..

My Chamouti does not have papers either, the previous owner did not want him to be shown (couldn't anyway because of the one missing fang) and so would not release the papers. He weighs 13 lbs although he feels heavier.

Persians' fur tangles so badly you can practically watch the mats forming, I know, I've got one, the peke faced kind whose face is always dirty and she could be combed and brushed twice a day and still get mats. Forget about not combing for two or three days, she would need a haircut/shave by then.

post #11 of 16
HERE IS A PIK OF MY BOY PRINCE...I call him a Persialayan...although my vet says he's a Himalaya...there's a long back story to him...he is not mixed kinda looks like your boy

post #12 of 16

Quote: That's a Himalayan alright. They were bred from a Persian and a Siamese so they have the points of a Siamese and the body, face and fur of a Persian. But that was quite a while ago so now they breed true and are not considered a mix anymore. Your boy looks like a cameo because he does not appear to have any tabby stripes. He is gorgeous. Persians and Himalayans have cobby bodies with relatively short legs and their fur tangles, their faces are usually kind of flat with a very short nose. Maine Coons are much larger and their fur does not tangle, their faces are not flat and their noses are much longer than a

Persian's or Himalayan's but not as long as a Siamese's. Look at the profile of my boy.

 

 

 
Originally Posted by imjustacatmom View Post

HERE IS A PIK OF MY BOY PRINCE...I call him a Persialayan...although my vet says he's a Himalaya...there's a long back story to him...he is not mixed kinda looks like your boy

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by segelkatt View Post

Yes thank you...I know what a Maine Coon is (although I did not know their fur didn't tangle)...I just was saying how her guy looks kinda like my boy...
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segelkatt View Post

Thank you for these pictures, they show that this is no Persian. He looks so much like my Chamouti he may very well be a Maine Coon or at least mostly Maine Coon. Since you don't have papers for him officially you cannot call him Maine Coon but a Maine Coon Mix, but if somebody just casually asks you and even your vet, you can safely declare him to be that. Handle him a lot and he will be a real lap cat, always wanting to be with you and looking for cuddles, a real live teddy bear..
The distinct stripes on his face make him a tabby, his color is red with cream. He's going to grow up to be one gorgeous cat, it will take him up to 4 years to get to his full size and weigh at least 12 lbs and possibly 20 lbs. Yes, that big without being fat. His deep orange eyes with eye liner are a real asset, Chamouti's eyes are much paler and he has no eye liner but has a bit of very dark red around his inner lips which shows sometimes around his mouth where the fang is missing..
My Chamouti does not have papers either, the previous owner did not want him to be shown (couldn't anyway because of the one missing fang) and so would not release the papers. He weighs 13 lbs although he feels heavier.
Persians' fur tangles so badly you can practically watch the mats forming, I know, I've got one, the peke faced kind whose face is always dirty and she could be combed and brushed twice a day and still get mats. Forget about not combing for two or three days, she would need a haircut/shave by then.

Thank you so much for your response😊 I knew he couldn't be a Persian mix because, well, he doesn't look like one, so your comment was very helpful. Unlikely that he would grow up to be like Chamouti though. As for wanting cuddles and being a lap cat, I have 3 younger sisters who are always handling him. If I hold him in my arms, he just stays there like a baby. Yes, I'm in love with a Simba's eyes. Chamouti has such a charming face though. So true about what you said about Persians' fur 😭
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 


Took this picture today
post #16 of 16
@catcurls what an awesome pik! #!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home