12/22 Artie pooped a large amount of soft poop, formed about 6 inches. I was feeling good, he was eating so-so, but not bad..I was trying all different kinds of food at this point. He decided he like lamb now. I had a couple cans of Natures Variety Lamb, he ate it up.. ran to the store to pick more up.. I was also trying to get him to eat Solid Gold Tuna with Mackerel..he loves that stuff. That is my 'go to" food for him when he is sick..
12/22 Specialist Vet.. weight was at 10.2 lbs. a gain. Ultrasound showed no progression of IBD, however a ton of bowel gas. They did an x-ray.. he was still constipated!! so they did an enema.. did not give sub-q's. I forgot to demand that they do so.. it does help. That is one thing I learned from his R VEt.. surprised the specialist did not do it...I think they are all very afraid of his heart murmur..
S Vet also prescribed Reglan 1.5 mg to be given 2-3 times a day..
Told me the Radiologist and the S Vet got together and feel he has an ileus in the right upper quadrant... they feel he has a neurologic motility transport issue with his colon which can lead up to MegaColon.. the Reglan was deemed crucial ....
Of course I was in shock!! I thought he was cleaned out and was expecting an enlarged lymph node or masses, but to be throw with MegaColon!! I could not believe it.. I was flabbergasted and not quick on my feet with questions..
Artie never really recovered from that enema. I think it was because of the lack of sub-q's.. The R Vet wanted to teach me to do it.. I am in agreement, but the specialist did not feel it was necessary... Well, she is wrong! I am going go ask the R Vet to show me and give me the supplies to have on hand..
Since Thursday 12/22, Artie has been really bad.. no eating, just curled into a meatloaf, with very sad eyes.. pleading eyes.. really shut down...I have been so scared that it was his time..I did not want him to suffer.. but he was.. but he is still alert, can follow me, can use his litter box, was cuddling, purring.. just not eating..I was certain I would have to make 'that ' decision, but did not want to do it prematurely.. yet, I did not want him to suffer.. I was so scared.. I was crying all day.. and some tears the day before also.. I kept crying..I was doing him..
I also had an idea. I keep wondering what the calcifications were on the x-ray.. I am feeding Artie Natures Variety Food. It is the only one he likes. It does contain some of that monomnite clay for thickening.. I wonder if the clay is contribution to his constipation.. which would mean that I was doing this to him.. but he refuses all other food. He has to be on a novel protein diet. I have tried a ton of them.. I have Hound & Gatos lamb, and dome H &G pork, Wild Calling Rabbit, Prescription Rabbit, in addition to the Pride Rabbit, NV Rabbit, and NV lamb....and Solid Gold Tuna.. He refuses all except for the NV and Pride line...
I was really doubting myself and needed so much support. Of course, I turned to my friends on here in PM's.. you guys know who you are.. I did not want to trouble everyone with my own issues.. but I did drop some lines when I was at my worst..
thank you so much..
On Christmas Eve, 12/24 it really got to me.. He refused all his food. I had 5 dishes of food out for him.. I did not know what to do.. I was scared..
By the time I decided he needed help, it was already noon.. I tried to contact the RVet for sub-q's and another dose of Valium, but the office closed early..
I called the speciality hospital to see if by chance the specialist would be in, she was so I left a message. She was leaving early.. I needed some ideas what to do..
By the time I got a return call from her Tech, it was after 1pm. The message was that if I could get there by 1:30, she would take an x-ray and do another enema because she felt that Artie was not eating because he was still constipated.. I was not going to have him go through another enema in this condition.. besides, I could not get there in 30 minutes. It normally takes me just over 30 minutes..On Christmas Eve afternoon, it would take me over an hour.. so I stayed home and worried.
Artie stopped purring, he was meat loafing.. he did not want to be touched..
I ran out and tried to get some pedialyte thinking that he dehydrated..I never tried it, but it is nasty!! I tried to give him some.. he spit it out all over the place. I do not blame him..
I gave him about 30 mg of water during the day..syringing it..
I decided on Friday, not to give him anymore Reglan because I felt he was having some side effects to it.. very lethargic, out of it.. sad eyes..
I had to leave for Christmas Eve at my Cousins. I could not go under these circumstances. I remember I ordered a set of feeding syringes, a long time ago.. I took out my mini food processor, a can of Pride Rabbit, pureed it with some water mixed with miralax.. I was able to syringe feed about 20 mg of food into him.. He did fight a bit.. but he had some..
I got home around midnight.. no food eaten, he was drinking water.. I was devastated..ened up with an asthma attack..I actually felt I was going to have to put him down.. but he was still alert and had life in him.
Decided to go to the ER Vet, at the speciality hospital, right after Christmas morning Mass.
Was in tears during the mass.
I called them before I left the house, they pulled his chart and were expecting me.. however, it was a very busy day.. a lot of animals coming in to be put down, I discovered while I was waiting..
I was there from 10 am and came home at 1pm...
Artie lost almost an entire pound since Thursday.. he was down to 9.4 lbs.. that is a huge amount..They did not feel him to be constipated. He was so alert, and investigating everything in the exam room. I asked for him to be hydrated and to be given another Valium injection.. They refused the Valium because it is a 'controlled' substance.. OMG!! I am not asking for myself!! I am asking for him.. because it helped with his appetite.. No way...
I had to wait while they hydrated him.. it is an assembly line. OMG-so many babies either going to or have already gone to the bridge. It was really sad...
They were really stressing his heart murmur.. I had it checked out 4 years ago and was told it was a functional murmur.. I was there for the ultrasound and the cardiologist went over everything with me. I was an ultrasound tech..and did some basic fetal cardiac ultrasound..
I insisted on Artie being given Valium or something else which is an alternative to Mirtazapine.. Finally, the ER Vet asked one of the Critical Care Vets about a substitute.. They suggested cyprohepadine (spelling)... so they gave it to him there and sent me home with 4 pills.. one half pill once or twice a day..
When we came home, Artie went over to his food and licked a bit of it.. kept going over to lick a bit.. but not much.. so I decided to syringe feed him again. I took a can of Wild Calling Rabbit, pureed it with some water mixed with miralax. I gave him 40 mg.. and another 60 mg later that night. Surprisingly, Artie was very easy to feed .. he did not fight me.. the hardest part was the mess with getting the food into the syringe..
I felt better, but exhausted. I missed Christmas Dinner with my family. I stayed home..and lied down with him for a bit..
During the night he tried to wake me twice. When I got up, I saw that he had pooped a small bit of pudding and had eaten 1/2 can of food. I was so happy.. I am continuing the cyprohepadine twice a day, no more Reglan for him..
He has been going back and forth to the food all day.. He has eaten about 1 small can...
I tried to contact the R Vet, but the office is still closed for Christmas. I made an appointment with the S Vet for late Tuesday afternoon, but I do not want to stress him out again.. I want to talk with her first.. before it is necessary to take him in.. I think he gained a bit of weight..but who knows. I did weigh him, but I am not sure..
I am so wiped out.. and Artie is also.. he has been going through a living Heck this entire month, especially the past week..
I am again thanking everyone for their concern and support..
Artie is now hiding again.. he is refusing the NV plain rabbit.. I have dresser 3 drawers filled with food he will not eat!! and another one with food he will eat..
I am exhausted..
so now all of you know Artie's story and my concerns.. I have been very emotional.. it is that time of year..My dad died on January 3, but I relive the days leading up to it. I try to decorate and really do love the holiday but this year is different.
Artie was given to me for a reason.. he has been so good to me.. I call him my unofficial 'therapy' cat.. we have been through so much in the almost 5 years I have had him.. he is my buddy.
It is so strange that a 'little one' can take up so much of your heart and give you so much love in return.. when they get sick, it is as if a piece of your heart is broken.. I really do not know how I would have gone through a lot of the junk that happened to me, if it were not for Artie's love, companionship, and his ability to make me laugh.. just holding him, having him on your lap--feeling his heart beating, is such a joy..
ok.. I am being maudlin here..
But that is the story.. I still do not know what to expect tomorrow when I call the specialist..
A friend of mine, from the humane society had a cat with Megacolon. She did not give him much medication because she does not feel cats should have all that medicine without some side effects.. she is telling me to discontinue the cisapride because of the side effects it created in human.. it is not allowed for human use.. so I am so confused..
any advise is appreciated..
thank you again for reading this.. that is if you get this far...
(((hugs)) to all...