TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › What political party are you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What political party are you? - Page 2

post #31 of 44
I support the New Democratic Party (though I did vote Liberal (they are not actually liberal) in the last election because I felt it was strategic under the circumstances and was terrified of the Conservative Party (who *are* VERY socially conservative) winning) - but the NDP is the party I truly support. I consider myself very left-wing on most issues, though there are a few issues (welfare, crime, certain 'womens' rights') on which I am more conservative and do not agree with 'my' party on, but overall they are the party with which I most agree.
post #32 of 44
i voted other because I'm a registered indepedent
post #33 of 44
Last time I registered it was Indepdant...I like those that go against the grain
post #34 of 44
I'm a democrat leaning independant voter. You can thank Bush for that. I do support people like Sen. Arlen Spector and former PA governor Tom Ridge. I vote based on the canidate's views and beliefs not the mubslinging bs that most canidates use.
post #35 of 44
I'm a true, blue donkey
post #36 of 44
Im a donkey too, for anyone who might not know
post #37 of 44
Ohhhh, as said on another thread - re US citizens having to register to vote themseleves (most other countries register ppl automatically - with enumerators or permanent lists) - I was amazed that Americans have to decalre their party allegience when they register tho I know some states have the independent option. Here in Canada, it would be illegal for the goct to ask you your party preference.

Recently, the noted political sociologist Seymour Martin Lipset observed of the 1988 Canadian election that all of our main parties to to the left of the center of the US Democratic Party. I think the differences now with our Coservative Party - which has become more right wing - is that ir prob has people who would qualify as right wing Democrats or moderate Republicans - and a few really right wingers too. But for the most part I think Cdns would be Demcrats. I I was an American citizen, I'd be on the left of the Democratic Party I think.
post #38 of 44
Hmmm...I am simply far too left to be considered a democrat...especially since this two party system is BROKEN!

Also, I think that Republicans and Democrats are basically one in the same these days, at least in terms of the career politicians on the hill. The dems up there are so spineless lately that whatever the Reps do, they seem to always submit to the dominant party's wishes (probably thinking they'll get ahead? Or be punished?)...it seems like it's all a big game up there in Washington with the objective being re-election, not representing a diverse body of constituents.

So, I'll say this: I'm a lefty, a feminist, a pacifist, an athiest, a vegan animal rights activist, pro-choice, pro-equal marriage social justice fighter...and that's how my political beliefs play out. And I feel like this country could use a few more of us just for the sake of balance...
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiecusion
Victor...The electoral college became the system years and years ago when many people were too poor or lived in the west away from everything and their claim was that there were too many uninformed voters in order to hold a popular vote-type of election, now I don't think that is the case with all of the media we have available today.

You are very right but I want to add one point; it was also a safe gaurd from having some really charasimatic guy come in and corrupt the new country. The electorial college became a way for them to legally turn down a canidate that would be harmful to the country (think king george in their time, or hitler in ours). They were worried about someone running and winning the office of president and giving us back over to england or someone having the idea to make themselves king or stealing a bunch of money. George Washington told the american people to beware of "entangeling alliances" when he was leaving office after his second term.


Proud southern Democrat here by the way.
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ
George Washington told the american people to beware of "entangeling alliances" when he was leaving office after his second term.

Hold off y'all totally wrong quote, that one was about getting involved in the seven years war and choosing sides between the brittish and the french.... sorry my bad....
post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant
So, I'll say this: I'm a lefty, a feminist, a pacifist, an athiest, a vegan animal rights activist, pro-choice, pro-equal marriage social justice fighter...and that's how my political beliefs play out. And I feel like this country could use a few more of us just for the sake of balance...
I'd say I'm the same minus the atheist vegan parts
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaimes
I'd say I'm the same minus the atheist vegan parts
Yay!!!
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ
You are very right but I want to add one point; it was also a safe gaurd from having some really charasimatic guy come in and corrupt the new country. The electorial college became a way for them to legally turn down a canidate that would be harmful to the country (think king george in their time, or hitler in ours). They were worried about someone running and winning the office of president and giving us back over to england or someone having the idea to make themselves king or stealing a bunch of money. George Washington told the american people to beware of "entangeling alliances" when he was leaving office after his second term.


Proud southern Democrat here by the way.
The way I have had it explained to me regarding the Electoral College is this (correct me if I am wrong) If we did NOT have the electoral college then the people that live on the coasts (west and east) where the population is most dense would ALWAYS elect the president. It gives the rest of the country a chance and balances things out. I agree with the electoral college.
Proud southwestern Republican here.
post #44 of 44
I'm sure I answered this years ago when it was started, but since then I think I've refined my definition of political affiliations. The views haven't changed, just found a better way to describe it. I'm a socially Libertarian leaning Republican. Meaning...the government should keep their noses out of individual's personal business (abortion, marriage and the like), but on governmental issues (such as amount of Government, interpretation of the Constitution, etc.) I lean with the Republicans.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › What political party are you?