TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › At what age does a kitten becomes territorial?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

At what age does a kitten becomes territorial?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hello !

 

I'm wondering about at what age does a kitten become territorial? In my case, it's a female kitten. She's only 7 weeks old. I'm planning to get her another kitten but I'm not exactly sure when that will happen. I'm worried that by the time I can get another kitten, the kitten I have will already be territorial and such. I want them to be like sisters growing up together :) Thank you for your time ! :D

post #2 of 14

That is an interesting question. I'm not sure, but I would think that when a kitten begins to explore her environment, at about age 4-5weeks, they can become territorial.

They might not be able to defend that territory, from intruders, but they will still hiss, and posture, and run away. Some may even spit, and lunge at you.

 

But since you have a 7 week old kitten, and want her to grow up, like sisters...then perhaps you should ask around for 'foster kittens' or other shelters that have kittens, and find out if you can foster, until you are ready to adopt. If you cannot afford one, then perhaps fostering could help with vet costs, and food costs and such. (I'm not sure, but you would have to ask.)

Your kitten would benefit from having a playmate, to teach each other rules of play, and kitten 'manners', bite inhibition, and how to be social with other cats.

 

But be honest with yourself, and look at what your finances are, and what the extra expenses would be towards having another cat.

Here, young kittens need to have their kitten vaccinations, too, so that is another thing to think about, when wanting to adopt. Plus spaying/neutering.

 

Don't worry so much about your kitten becoming too territorial, or not being able to adapt to a new cat/kitten...since there are good 'cat to cat introductions' steps that you can take, to make both cats comfortable in your home. Even sister cats don't always get along, perfectly. So it matters more on the personality of the cats involved, versus their age. That is another reason why asking shelters and rescues about a cat's personality is important. They would help you decide.

 

Just make sure that you socialize your 7 week kitten by giving her a lot of your time, playtime, feedings, brushing, grooming, patting, etc.

And through interactive play with your kitten,  teach her about not biting any human's hands/feet/body parts.

You'll have to be the 'kitten social teacher' to your cat, because she is so young, but she'll manage to learn daily through play, and interacting with you.

 

I hope some of this helps answer your question. :) 

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat nap View Post
 

That is an interesting question. I'm not sure, but I would think that when a kitten begins to explore her environment, at about age 4-5weeks, they can become territorial.

They might not be able to defend that territory, from intruders, but they will still hiss, and posture, and run away. Some may even spit, and lunge at you.

 

But since you have a 7 week old kitten, and want her to grow up, like sisters...then perhaps you should ask around for 'foster kittens' or other shelters that have kittens, and find out if you can foster, until you are ready to adopt. If you cannot afford one, then perhaps fostering could help with vet costs, and food costs and such. (I'm not sure, but you would have to ask.)

Your kitten would benefit from having a playmate, to teach each other rules of play, and kitten 'manners', bite inhibition, and how to be social with other cats.

 

But be honest with yourself, and look at what your finances are, and what the extra expenses would be towards having another cat.

Here, young kittens need to have their kitten vaccinations, too, so that is another thing to think about, when wanting to adopt. Plus spaying/neutering.

 

Don't worry so much about your kitten becoming too territorial, or not being able to adapt to a new cat/kitten...since there are good 'cat to cat introductions' steps that you can take, to make both cats comfortable in your home. Even sister cats don't always get along, perfectly. So it matters more on the personality of the cats involved, versus their age. That is another reason why asking shelters and rescues about a cat's personality is important. They would help you decide.

 

Just make sure that you socialize your 7 week kitten by giving her a lot of your time, playtime, feedings, brushing, grooming, patting, etc.

And through interactive play with your kitten,  teach her about not biting any human's hands/feet/body parts.

You'll have to be the 'kitten social teacher' to your cat, because she is so young, but she'll manage to learn daily through play, and interacting with you.

 

I hope some of this helps answer your question. :) 

Thank you for your informative response ! 

 

 

My kitten loves biting on our body parts lol. We try to use toys but whenever we move our hands or feet during the playtime, she'd go for it instead of the toy. She loves to chew on cords too x.x We're thinking about buying her some chew toys for her to chew on. 

post #4 of 14
 
Originally Posted by Yuki-chan View Post
 

Thank you for your informative response ! 

 

My kitten loves biting on our body parts lol. We try to use toys but whenever we move our hands or feet during the playtime, she'd go for it instead of the toy. She loves to chew on cords too x.x We're thinking about buying her some chew toys for her to chew on. 

Sure, you're welcome.

 

Ahh, yes...kitten biting with sharp razor like needle teeth, is not so bad when they are small, but gets very painful, as they get stronger.

They do this because they explore with their mouths, and also learn from other cats how hard to bite, and not cause pain.

 

In your case, it is really good to use any type of toy, for distraction, so she can bite on it.

When she goes for your hands or feet, put the toy in her mouth, instead.

And yes, getting her chew toys for chewing on, and using these as distractions will also work.

(I had to get one of my kittens 'puppy dog chew toys' because they did not have many suitable cat ones in the stores.)

 

Someone, here, mentioned using frozen raw food treats when they get to biting a lot, or even frozen dishcloths.

But I don't know how the frozen dishcloths would not break apart. dontknow.gif

It has to be something safe for little kittens to chew on.

 

As for power cords, you will have to wrap those either with 'empty paper towel tubes', or buy special 'cord wraps' or plastic tubing, plastic split looms, to protect the cords and prevent the little one from biting through.

They may be small, but kittens can bite through plastic cords very fast and get injured, shocked or killed.

 

Here is an old thread that may give you other ideas to protect cords:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/291879/cord-chewing-help

You may also do a "Search" in the 'Search Box' at the top of the page, and find other threads that may help.

I'm sure there are newer products on Amazon, or in stores.

 

Good Luck again, with your sweet little kitten.

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat nap View Post
 

Sure, you're welcome.

 

Ahh, yes...kitten biting with sharp razor like needle teeth, is not so bad when they are small, but gets very painful, as they get stronger.

They do this because they explore with their mouths, and also learn from other cats how hard to bite, and not cause pain.

 

In your case, it is really good to use any type of toy, for distraction, so she can bite on it.

When she goes for your hands or feet, put the toy in her mouth, instead.

And yes, getting her chew toys for chewing on, and using these as distractions will also work.

(I had to get one of my kittens 'puppy dog chew toys' because they did not have many suitable cat ones in the stores.)

 

Someone, here, mentioned using frozen raw food treats when they get to biting a lot, or even frozen dishcloths.

But I don't know how the frozen dishcloths would not break apart. dontknow.gif

It has to be something safe for little kittens to chew on.

 

As for power cords, you will have to wrap those either with 'empty paper towel tubes', or buy special 'cord wraps' or plastic tubing, plastic split looms, to protect the cords and prevent the little one from biting through.

They may be small, but kittens can bite through plastic cords very fast and get injured, shocked or killed.

 

Here is an old thread that may give you other ideas to protect cords:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/291879/cord-chewing-help

You may also do a "Search" in the 'Search Box' at the top of the page, and find other threads that may help.

I'm sure there are newer products on Amazon, or in stores.

 

Good Luck again, with your sweet little kitten.

 

 

Thanks again !

 

 

Is there any specific puppy chew toy would you recommend? :) There are so many on amazon x.x I'm lost in which to pick haha.

post #6 of 14
 
Originally Posted by Yuki-chan View Post
 

Thanks again !

 

Is there any specific puppy chew toy would you recommend? :) There are so many on amazon x.x I'm lost in which to pick haha.

Sure. :)  I'll mention the top 3 that my Sparky used to like.  I think I bought them at my local pet store...called Pet Valu, here,...but they are listed on amazon, as well.

His favourite was actually a cat chew toy...or at least he treated it like a chew toy...(until our black lab dog stole it, and chewed it to bits). disa.gif

 

  1.   Kong Cat Hubba Wubba cat toy

  http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Hugga-Wubba-Colors-Vary/dp/B0018MXYW0/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1462772195&sr=1-6&keywords=cat+kong+toys

 

         2.   Kong Puppy goodie bone....made of very soft, flexible rubber.

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Puppy-Goodie-Small-Assorted/dp/B0009VKK9G/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1462772771&sr=1-1&keywords=small+puppy+goodie+bone

 

         3.  Red Nylabone Plain Plastic-Rubber chew toy...no flavour.

below...is NOT actually the product...but it was similar to these. Being red and soft...but with no flavour.

http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Dura-Regular-White-Triple/dp/B00JZIDFKK/ref=sr_1_16?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1462739289&sr=1-16&keywords=nylabone+flexi+chew

 

CAUTION:   The last one that I listed was just a plain, red, soft nylabone.  And you are right, I cannot find it at amazon.

                      The other ones they have listed have flavours, and some were RECALLED due to salmonella...so always make sure to read the reviews, online.

Remember to always read the 'comments, and reviews' section of anything that you are thinking of buying.

Because it will help you to decide if it is 'SAFE or NOT' ...for your cat.

 

In my case, I had no problems with the products.

And ALWAYS used them under close SUPERVISION....meaning, you don't just give them to your kitten, cat, puppy or dog....and let them run off with them.

 

For me, they were used as distractions, to when our kitten wanted to bite our hands or feet, and were always on hand, so he could teeth on them.

And I used them to play with him.

 

The first toy, is also listed here in 'TCS Reviews Section': where you can also check out and read reviews from members, and add your own reviews any time...since it helps out all members.

http://www.thecatsite.com/products/kong-cat-hugga-wubba-cat-toy....

 

If you find that any toy you are using looks dangerous, or has small parts, or things that may break off and be swallowed...then I would not use it.

The good thing is that our kitten outgrew biting and chewing, and so I hope that yours will, too. :Chat Noir:  :) 

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat nap View Post
 

Sure. :)  I'll mention the top 3 that my Sparky used to like.  I think I bought them at my local pet store...called Pet Valu, here,...but they are listed on amazon, as well.

His favourite was actually a cat chew toy...or at least he treated it like a chew toy...(until our black lab dog stole it, and chewed it to bits). disa.gif

 

  1.   Kong Cat Hubba Wubba cat toy

  http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Hugga-Wubba-Colors-Vary/dp/B0018MXYW0/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1462772195&sr=1-6&keywords=cat+kong+toys

 

         2.   Kong Puppy goodie bone....made of very soft, flexible rubber.

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Puppy-Goodie-Small-Assorted/dp/B0009VKK9G/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1462772771&sr=1-1&keywords=small+puppy+goodie+bone

 

         3.  Red Nylabone Plain Plastic-Rubber chew toy...no flavour.

below...is NOT actually the product...but it was similar to these. Being red and soft...but with no flavour.

http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Dura-Regular-White-Triple/dp/B00JZIDFKK/ref=sr_1_16?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1462739289&sr=1-16&keywords=nylabone+flexi+chew

 

CAUTION:   The last one that I listed was just a plain, red, soft nylabone.  And you are right, I cannot find it at amazon.

                      The other ones they have listed have flavours, and some were RECALLED due to salmonella...so always make sure to read the reviews, online.

Remember to always read the 'comments, and reviews' section of anything that you are thinking of buying.

Because it will help you to decide if it is 'SAFE or NOT' ...for your cat.

 

In my case, I had no problems with the products.

And ALWAYS used them under close SUPERVISION....meaning, you don't just give them to your kitten, cat, puppy or dog....and let them run off with them.

 

For me, they were used as distractions, to when our kitten wanted to bite our hands or feet, and were always on hand, so he could teeth on them.

And I used them to play with him.

 

The first toy, is also listed here in 'TCS Reviews Section': where you can also check out and read reviews from members, and add your own reviews any time...since it helps out all members.

http://www.thecatsite.com/products/kong-cat-hugga-wubba-cat-toy....

 

If you find that any toy you are using looks dangerous, or has small parts, or things that may break off and be swallowed...then I would not use it.

The good thing is that our kitten outgrew biting and chewing, and so I hope that yours will, too. :Chat Noir:  :) 

Thank you for the recommendation !! I have a few toys but she prefers hands and feet lol. I'll try to get more for her :3 She seems to lose interest in them and go after our hands and feet pretty quick. Is the third one okay to get or no? 

post #8 of 14
Originally Posted by Yuki-chan View Post
 

Thank you for the recommendation !! I have a few toys but she prefers hands and feet lol. I'll try to get more for her :3 She seems to lose interest in them and go after our hands and feet pretty quick. Is the third one okay to get or no? 

No, don't even bother with the third one.

Just get her ones that you think are safe and soft.

 

Maybe even get ping pong balls, or use those 'empty paper towel cardboard rolls', or even wide, flat, fabric type belts, ...that you can pull and she could chase.

Mine even liked chasing scrunched up paper, scrunched into balls. They batted them like playing soccer.

 

Call your vet, up, too,...and ask if they make any type of 'chewing treats' for kittens. The vets might have some new products, on hand.

 

When your kitten bites you, make that exaggerated 'owww' sound...or the 'whimpering sound' ...but act all hurt, for a while.

Don't scare her, but just make her aware that you are hurt, like another animal would. You can just do it in a soft, hurt, voice. And slowly move the hurt hand towards you and protect the hurt hand.

She may stop, and listen,...and that is good.

 

Some people, cry 'owww' and put the kitten down, for a while, and walk away.

Sometimes that will work, too,... when she understands that any biting of people ends the game.

 

Playing with her is the key. You just have to use the toys, instead of hands.

She will lose interest in her toys, because hands are moving, but the toys are not...so make sure to move the toys.

Anything moving is what she wants to pounce on.

People say that 'da bird' and wand toys are fun. (I've not used them, though.)

 

Just keep the play sessions consistent, and fun.

And each day she will learn more and more.

 

some of these Articles will give you more ideas:

TCS Cat Behavior Resources - Articles and Important Threads
started on 09/21/12 0 replies 1807 views

 

Playing with Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
By Anne Posted 5604 views 8 comments

Good Luck. :Chat Noir:  :wavey: 

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat nap View Post
 

No, don't even bother with the third one.

Just get her ones that you think are safe and soft.

 

Maybe even get ping pong balls, or use those 'empty paper towel cardboard rolls', or even wide, flat, fabric type belts, ...that you can pull and she could chase.

Mine even liked chasing scrunched up paper, scrunched into balls. They batted them like playing soccer.

 

Call your vet, up, too,...and ask if they make any type of 'chewing treats' for kittens. The vets might have some new products, on hand.

 

When your kitten bites you, make that exaggerated 'owww' sound...or the 'whimpering sound' ...but act all hurt, for a while.

Don't scare her, but just make her aware that you are hurt, like another animal would. You can just do it in a soft, hurt, voice. And slowly move the hurt hand towards you and protect the hurt hand.

She may stop, and listen,...and that is good.

 

Some people, cry 'owww' and put the kitten down, for a while, and walk away.

Sometimes that will work, too,... when she understands that any biting of people ends the game.

 

Playing with her is the key. You just have to use the toys, instead of hands.

She will lose interest in her toys, because hands are moving, but the toys are not...so make sure to move the toys.

Anything moving is what she wants to pounce on.

People say that 'da bird' and wand toys are fun. (I've not used them, though.)

 

Just keep the play sessions consistent, and fun.

And each day she will learn more and more.

 

some of these Articles will give you more ideas:

TCS Cat Behavior Resources - Articles and Important Threads
started on 09/21/12 0 replies 1807 views

 

Playing with Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
By Anne Posted 5604 views 8 comments

Good Luck. :Chat Noir:  :wavey: 

Thanks again ! I've tried the "owwwwww" thing and walking away thing, she chased my feet and bite my feet lol. She's a playful one xD I'd have to hide my feet when I sit down on my chair otherwise she'd get me from under the chair like  a surprise attack lol. Also, whenever I sleep, she'd wake up and bite my face and wake me up. I put her to her toy and played with her a bit and went back to sleep but she came running to me and tries to bite me. So I hid in the blanket and she eventually fell asleep next to my head :P 

post #10 of 14
I just bought some new toys so my muffin(muffy) would stop chewing my arms and legs. It seems to be working along with a kids water pistol. It seems people are having success with the water pistol.
post #11 of 14

My kitten drew blood daily. I started giving her a sharp HEY! when she bit and she has improved a lot. 

post #12 of 14
My kitten isn't behavior trained either. I am afraid the authorities will put him down unless he gets more people oriented. He is good for a few minutes of my petting him and then it starts. He still hisses at me once in a while. He stopped growling. I need to have him get his second kitten shots. If I am sleeping and he is up, he works tirelessly at waking me up.

I bought a flashing light up ball that he loves and many stuffed animals and things with bells and he is so happy. He also likes his pet bed. Since I was told he was locked in a bathroom avoiding a dog trying to eat him, he loves running everywhere where I live. He sits in the window looking out at the street, cars and people.

I don't want people demanding he be put down so are there any last resort methods for making him tame?
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygolucky View Post

My kitten isn't behavior trained either. I am afraid the authorities will put him down unless he gets more people oriented. He is good for a few minutes of my petting him and then it starts. He still hisses at me once in a while. He stopped growling. I need to have him get his second kitten shots. If I am sleeping and he is up, he works tirelessly at waking me up.

I bought a flashing light up ball that he loves and many stuffed animals and things with bells and he is so happy. He also likes his pet bed. Since I was told he was locked in a bathroom avoiding a dog trying to eat him, he loves running everywhere where I live. He sits in the window looking out at the street, cars and people.

I don't want people demanding he be put down so are there any last resort methods for making him tame?

Unless he bites someone outside the family, they can't make you put him down. So don't let other people pet him or let him run around free outside where he can bite anyone. As long as he just bites YOU, they don't care very much wink.gif. Although if you seek medical care for a bite or scratch before he's had his rabies shot, they may make you quarantine him. So make sure you keep him up-to-date on rabies vaccine once he's old enough.

Keep doing what you're doing, it takes a long time for some kitties.
post #14 of 14
I 've given my foster kittens some towels, they chew on them, roll about and generally play with them. They don't chew any other soft furnishings but they love their towels. It's a cheap and easy toy that you don't have to constantly fish out from under furniture.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › At what age does a kitten becomes territorial?