or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › My cat won't eat or drink, barely moves
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My cat won't eat or drink, barely moves  

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

My cat has done the same here.. all the sudden over night, no movement no eating or drinking now. Took him to the vet yesterday what a waste of $80 that was...$55 for visit $25 for a shot of fluids for his dehydration! They wanted almost $1000 to keep him and run tests...I'm laid off I don't have $1000 for this in any sense...so I am so upset because I have my friend here looks like he is dying, and I can't help him, I pray he is not suffering...I don't know what to do!
 

post #2 of 22

nasticanasta, please take the poor cat to the vets, there must be a pay weekly thing you can do to pay the bill off, please dont let him suffer its not fair.

post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasticanasta View Post

My cat has done the same here.. all the sudden over night, no movement no eating or drinking now. Took him to the vet yesterday what a waste of $80 that was...$55 for visit $25 for a shot of fluids for his dehydration! They wanted almost $1000 to keep him and run tests...I'm laid off I don't have $1000 for this in any sense...so I am so upset because I have my friend here looks like he is dying, and I can't help him, I pray he is not suffering...I don't know what to do!
 


Did the Vet check to see if he was blocked or not?  Has he peed since receiving the fluids?  What kind of tests did they want to run that would be $1000?  What did they tell you...surely they told you something about his condition.

 

What is his status right now?  Here is a thread for help if you cannot afford a Vet, but this sounds like an emergency!  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/155462/cant-afford-a-vet-please-read

post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 

$1000 for hospital stay over night the day was almost over they were going to charge me for that day and the next, blood work, urine. Pretty worried bout him, my best friend who practically followed me everywhere around the house is lying on the floor barley able to move just staring at me, I'm in tears I cannot believe I can't find a single vet in my area who will do anything for this poor kitty without cash up front! SO i am feeding him some chicken stock from a big unused syringe used for filling printer cartridges, yesterday into last night we were giving him water the same way and he would always end up throwing up brown liquid and pieces of undigested grass blades...when he started to get sick he went into the bath tub i guess cause it was cool, ( he used to go in there to get water) then as he got sicker he moved to the next lower level of the house (it's a tri-level) and ended up in the basement where i was afraid he was going to do he looked so bad. today after a few feedings of  i saw him move upstairs from the basement only to rest when he got there..after about 15 mins he moved again and again after that and is now back in the tub on the top floor..I'm hoping this is a good sign. Last night he urinated as he had been doing,but he hasn't had a bowel movement in 2 days but he hasn't really eaten either...I guess I will keep you posted.
 

post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 

no.. the vet told me nothing...$80 dollars when I am practically broke just to find out nothing...they called back only to tell me that they couldn't hold onto the blood for much longer that it would spoil...so they are just going to throw it out. There are no free clinics for pets here either. I'm almost cried out over this, as I worry that he may be in pain! Again the Vet told me nothing at all...they wouldn't even work out a payment plan...I'm afraid my best friend is going to die and I can't do a thing to help!
 

post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 

I got a family and I'm out of work, I have to move... I just can't spend money I don't even have or even put my family in dire straights over this...as much as we are all crying over this, my family comes first and I don't have the money these vets want. I have sold stuff to keep afloat, there is nothing I can do for my poor kitty Petey...he looks so sad and I am too ashamed to look at him because I have failed him.

post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 

nope.. they won't do it I already asked and my beloved Petey will probably die in front of me as I watch helpless...Columbus Ohio sucks...I called 4 Vets yesterday, no one will lift a finger without cash up front.

post #8 of 22

Have you tried Care Credit?

 

Do you have  a vet you have been taking him to regularly for yearly check ups and kept up to date with all vaccines, dental, etc with, as well as going to for more minor issues? Or do you not go to a vet regularly? Put differently, is  it your regular vet who you have a longstanding relationship with?? If so you really need a new one for your other pets if any when this is over.

post #9 of 22

Or check out Ohio State University Veterinary College.   Even the humane society might be able to help, although it would probably mean surrendering Petey.  But if that's what it takes to save his life, then it would be worth it, wouldn't it?

 

vibes.gifvibes.gifvibes.gif

post #10 of 22

Nasticanasta...see if you can find a rescue place that will help.   I use care credit as well.   I think  $1000 is outrageous for some tests.   Also...try giving the cat hairball medicine.   Sometimes they have hairballs that can't come out.   Call the humane society and see if they have a vet you can take it to.   Also...some of the pet stores have vet clinics that are relatively inexpensive.   Before you panic over $1000, I'd keep trying.  That sounds outrageous for some tests and maybe they told you that price because they know you can't afford it and don't want to risk you not paying.

 

Seriously try getting care credit.  Maybe it would be best to find a home for your cat.  Cats get sick and they will always cost money.   I'd hate to see you lose the cat either way.   The main thing is to care for the cat.

post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens View Post

Or check out Ohio State University Veterinary College.  I found this under one of the links I provided for you earlier.  Even the humane society might be able to help, although it would probably mean surrendering Petey.  But if that's what it takes to save his life, then it would be worth it, wouldn't it?

 

vibes.gifvibes.gifvibes.gif


I already contacted the humane society and Ohio state they won't do anything.. all  they suggested was to have the cat euthanized and it would cost over $100... all in all everything has boiled down to money for every single person I spoke with in the so-called "animal care" business.. what a racket...I even asked them "don't you care a poor defenseless cat is probably suffering and dying?" all I got was silence and a "sorry about that".. I am truly appalled at our veterinary services these days! So my poor Petey is going to suffer while he dies in front of me...all I can think of is to call my friend who owns guns and take Petey out to his country house and put him out of his misery...this is the saddest day ever I can't stop crying. :(

post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasticanasta View Post


I already contacted the humane society and Ohio state they won't do anything.. all  they suggested was to have the cat euthanized and it would cost over $100... all in all everything has boiled down to money for every single person I spoke with in the so-called "animal care" business.. what a racket...I even asked them "don't you care a poor defenseless cat is probably suffering and dying?" all I got was silence and a "sorry about that".. I am truly appalled at our veterinary services these days! So my poor Petey is going to suffer while he dies in front of me...all I can think of is to call my friend who owns guns and take Petey out to his country house and put him out of his misery...this is the saddest day ever I can't stop crying. :(

I have to ask again if you have a regular vet, not to shame you if you don't, but to put something into perspective here that I think some people forget in the heat of a situation.

 

I work in an office where we  have people we provide services too (don't really want to talk about my profession so pardons if this is vague).  If we have a longstanding patient/client/customer, who has paid in the past and who we know and trust, and they request a payment plan, we do give it.  We have one guy paying us $35 a month; we have several people paying us $50 or $100 a month.  However, if someone who we have never seen before walks in off the street and asks us to do $1000 (or in my field sometimes up to $20,000) of work for free with the promise to pay later, and with $0 or $100 or even $250 down, we do say no.  And this is because we have learned the hard way that when you say yes to those people, you almost never see any money.  It isn't that we are cruel or don't care- I do care, a lot.  I have a painfully personal story I could share about someone I took a chance on and regretted it, but this is getting too long as it is.

 

Now, 100%, this does not make it any easier for you or your kitty when he is sick, and 100%, I really wish a vet would help you.  But I think it is unfair to say it is all about money to them when they won't do free work for someone they have never met before.  If they did do free work for people they'd never met before on a regular basis, they would be out of business.  It isn't personal against you and it isn't money grubbing of them.

 

Back to your situation, please look into CareCredit as I and others have suggested.  I am very sorry no one will help your cat and truly hope you will somehow manage to get him the  help he needs.

post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulosai View Post

I have to ask again if you have a regular vet, not to shame you if you don't, but to put something into perspective here that I think some people forget in the heat of a situation.

 

I work in an office where we  have people we provide services too (don't really want to talk about my profession so pardons if this is vague).  If we have a longstanding patient/client/customer, who has paid in the past and who we know and trust, and they request a payment plan, we do give it.  We have one guy paying us $35 a month; we have several people paying us $50 or $100 a month.  However, if someone who we have never seen before walks in off the street and asks us to do $1000 (or in my field sometimes up to $20,000) of work for free with the promise to pay later, and with $0 or $100 or even $250 down, we do say no.  And this is because we have learned the hard way that when you say yes to those people, you almost never see any money.  It isn't that we are cruel or don't care- I do care, a lot.  I have a painfully personal story I could share about someone I took a chance on and regretted it, but this is getting too long as it is.

 

Now, 100%, this does not make it any easier for you or your kitty when he is sick, and 100%, I really wish a vet would help you.  But I think it is unfair to say it is all about money to them when they won't do free work for someone they have never met before.  If they did do free work for people they'd never met before on a regular basis, they would be out of business.  It isn't personal against you and it isn't money grubbing of them.

 

Back to your situation, please look into CareCredit as I and others have suggested.  I am very sorry no one will help your cat and truly hope you will somehow manage to get him the  help he needs.


   I got the cat from my nephew who couldn't take him because he was moving to a place that wouldn't allow pets. I have had him for about 9 months...and again I reiterate not one single place ofered payment plans and yes I asked I am desperate!!!!

   I would do anything in my power to help an animal..for free when life is at stake money goes out the window for me.. but this is the "new" society we live with only caring about money..again, not one person showed one ounce of care for Petey...and everyone wanted money...they wouldn't even euthanize without cash up front. I am going to leave him outside a vet place , but from what I have experienced they will just let the cat suffer and not do anything except probably hire someone to dump him in the garbage bin, just to get rid of the 'unpleasant sight" for their rich members...the garbage bin which is where they should be with the rest of the dregs of this planet...

Clearly all people do nowadays is "appear" to care and they can sleep good at night knowing they did all they could...and isn't that how our president and politicians are anyways? Do it because they appear to care and when people die or things don't work out in the end..well "they had good intentions"..I am truly disgusted with health care for pets in this country....my wife is from Czech Republic, she says this would never happen there....remember when our nation used to be great?

post #14 of 22

I have always said it is sickening that there is no welfare system for the care of sick animals who belong to low income people.  People get it, but animals don't, leaving many to suffer and die needlessly, because people don't have the money to pay for help!!!  Veterinary costs are outrageous, and ridiculous!!!  I don't have a lot, but I always get vet care for any sick animals, even those I rescue, and I don't care if it means I give up my things or borrow and go into debt, or whatever it takes.  I can never just turn my back on a suffering animal, it's just a damn shame there aren't low cost clinics.  I pray things change someday!!   I would say, take your cat to a vet clinic or rescue organization, and leave it with them, at least then they would be forced to help the poor baby, and it's unfortunate you have to lose him, but at least he'll get care.  My heart breaks!!!

post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasticanasta View Post


   I got the cat from my nephew who couldn't take him because he was moving to a place that wouldn't allow pets. I have had him for about 9 months...and again I reiterate not one single place ofered payment plans and yes I asked I am desperate!!!!
   Unlike you I would do anything in my power to help an animal..for free when life is at stake money goes out the window for me.. but this is the "new" society we live with only caring about money..again and you must have a problem with english, but not one person showed one ounce of care for Petey...and everyone wanted money...they wouldn't even euthanize without cash up front. I am going to leave him outside a vet place , but from what I have experienced they will just let the cat suffer and not do anything except probably hire someone to dump him in the garbage bin, just to get rid of the 'unpleasant sight" for their rich members...the garbage bin which is where they should be with the rest of the dregs of this planet...
Clearly all people do nowadays is "appear" to care and they can sleep good at night knowing they did all they could...and isn't that how our president and politicians are anyways? Do it because they appear to care and when people die or things don't work out in the end..well "they had good intentions"..I am truly disgusted with health care for pets in this country....my wife is from Czech Republic, she says this would never happen there....remember when our nation used to be great?

You mentioned having a friend with guns that lives in the country...that's a much better option than leaving him outside some random office for someone else to deal with.

I'm very sorry about your kitty and I hope he gets help or peace soon.
post #16 of 22

Find another vet. My cat had blood and urine tests done a few months ago. It was all done in the office and the total cost was $108. There is no need for an overnight stay, although it did take a day to get the results.

post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 

Petey was looking better yesterday, he moved to the top floor i was thinking he would get better, but this morning after sleeping for 1/2 hour at times trying to nurse my best friend, he took a turn for the worse. Petey is gone now I took him to an emergency hospital i found Rascals in Columbus Ohio, that were very kind and thoughtful to Petey and my needs. They said his liver had failed and was dying. They said he wasn't suffering yet from what they could tell but it was eminent so I elected to end his misery....this was so hard, I didn't have him long, not even a year, but he was such a great pet...he followed me everywhere, he came when called loved to make me smile and have his tummy rubbed...oh how he loved that...he loved to get in laundry baskets and sleep...he was one of those super awesome pets that some people never get to enjoy, one of those pets you would swear knew what you were saying to them...a rarity. Petey is forever missed and our hearts still go out to my beloved friend who gave so much love in such a short time. Thanks to all who cared.angel.gif Goodbye Petey I love you.
 

post #18 of 22

I'm so sorry for your loss, but also glad he didn't have to suffer.  Thank goodness for that clinic that you found.  

 

I wish it could have been different  and Petey could have been saved.  He sounds like he was an awesome little guy hugs.gif

post #19 of 22
I'm very sorry to hear about Petey and offer my deepest sympathy on behalf of the entire team of TheCatSite.com. When you feel up to it, please post a tribute to Petey in the Crossing the Bridge forum.
post #20 of 22

Sorry about your loss of Petey.    I have 5 cats and I know financially it's not easy.  Do try looking into Care Credit should you decide to take on another animal.   For those of us who are not wealthy, it's the only way to go.   Once again, I'm sorry for your loss.   

post #21 of 22

im in a similar situation after neutering last week. every penny i have is gone..please  don't beat yourself up. love and attention are the most important things you can give a cat (or a person) The fact that you care so much is a testament to you as a human being. 

post #22 of 22
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Aa jcat has mentioned, please consider starting a tribute in our Crossing the Bridge forum when you feel up to it.

I will now close this thread.

RIP Petey. angel.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
This thread is locked  
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › My cat won't eat or drink, barely moves