Forgive this post it may seem a bit "already answered" but i assure you I searched and searched for some help and advice.
I want to rehome, domesticate my semi-stray / semi-feral cat.
Here is the background, Im going to try and keep this as brief as possible
All the forums and advice i have read, is about a new stray or feral cat. my cat has skipped a few steps.
- A stray cat would come to our garden approx 18 months ago
- We started to feed him and it became a daily thing from 8:00 am till 8pm
- The whole street lay claim to him spending time at there homes.
- he eventually ventured into our home and would spend time, eat and sleep during the day and leave at night.
- he allows us to stroke/ pet him, but if you touch is stomach or further down his back he goes a bit wild, he wont let us pick him up.
- We have taken him to the vet to see if he was chipped.
now a good 15 months later he came to the house limping with one of his legs bent and it broke my heart.
- We took him to the vets and the vet said as its been so long that he's been with us we should keep him.
- she suggested that while she was going to sedate him that we neuter and test him. another appointment was made for the next day.
Now this is the problem
- Because we had to come back the next day we were told to keep him that night and not let him out as he was given some drugs.
- I put him in my room, its a box room, 2x3m
- The vet gave me a litter tray with wooden pellets. he would just sniff it and rip the paper lining and push it away.
- I kept him in with his poor paw and limp. and he cried and yawled all night. he would scratch at the door and then run to the window and try to jump on the window sill
- this went on till 5:30am and then i let him out. like a fool
He had his operation today and is now home,
- I really want to keep him home from now on and "domesticate him"
- I really need help, he keeps wanting to go out.
- what is the best way for me to bring him and sleep here at night and domesticate him
- what should i do?
- what food should i stock
- what do i need, water, food, litter? how do i train him?
- how should i set the room up, what should i do, its my room, do i leave him in there and sleep away.
- Should i clicker train him?
please bare in mind, that the first vet said he was 5, and this vet said he was 2-3 years old.
What should i do? all help will do?
Please help? what do i do?
- 1 Post. Joined 3/2013
- Select All Posts By This User