or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Rival Gourmet dry n wet cat n dog food ingredients?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rival Gourmet dry n wet cat n dog food ingredients?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

what is the ingredients in Rival dry n wet cat n dog food from BigLots I need to know i'm on a budget and that is the food i can afford for most of my cats the no grain is killing mine n my family budget i'm keeping 3 of my 13 cats on the no grain since ten of them can handle the lower end foods

 

I'm doing this temporarly untel i can find a really cheap pet store or web page that sales grain free

post #2 of 13

I don't trust any cat food that has garlic. Maybe check out the thread on here titled "what do you feed your ferals". I know your cats are inside pets not feral, but the thread is about less expensive food to feed when you have lots of cats to feed. You might find more options for the same price.

I used the search button for this site to find ingredients for Rival. It will come up. Sorry I don't know how to print it here for you.

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

FIRST POST FOR 2013 HAHAHA

 

and I dont know what the heck the ingredients is thats why i asked and I guess i can search it here and i did not find anything on google

post #4 of 13
If you bought some, just look at the ingredient list.

OK, my thoughts---no, I won't feed Rival, even to my ferals. It's pure garbage. The dry has NO meat and has BHA/BHT (which are proven to cause cancer) and the canned has wheat middlings and other worthless fillers. You would have to feed a larger amount of these foods in order for your cats to get all their nutrients, so it would end up costing more in the long run.

For cheaper canned food, I prefer Friskies or Grreat Choice (Petsmart store brand). You can get a 13-ounce can of Friskies for 94 cents at Walmart, a 13-ounce can of Grreat Choice at Petsmart for 89 cents. It's much cheaper per ounce to buy the larger cans. Even Special Kitty canned food is OK, if you stick to Super Supper, Mixed Grill, and Chunky Chicken and Tuna (the others have worse ingredients). And that's only 70 cents for a 13-ounce can. Some grocery stores have a decent store-brand canned food---Hy-Vee does, for example, but I don't know which states have Hy-Vee.

For cheaper dry food, my main recommendation is Purina Cat Chow Naturals. It costs about the same as regular Cat Chow if you can find it at Walmart, but it seems like not all Walmarts have it, and it costs a lot more at other stores. Regular Cat Chow is OK, better than other cheap brands, if you can't find Naturals. I do not EVER recommend store-brand or generic dry foods.

If you use Purina dry food, join the Purina Pro Club (Google it). You send them the weight circles and they send you checks. It's a nice money saver.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowy View Post

If you bought some, just look at the ingredient list.
OK, my thoughts---no, I won't feed Rival, even to my ferals. It's pure garbage. The dry has NO meat and has BHA/BHT (which are proven to cause cancer) and the canned has wheat middlings and other worthless fillers. You would have to feed a larger amount of these foods in order for your cats to get all their nutrients, so it would end up costing more in the long run.
For cheaper canned food, I prefer Friskies or Grreat Choice (Petsmart store brand). You can get a 13-ounce can of Friskies for 94 cents at Walmart, a 13-ounce can of Grreat Choice at Petsmart for 89 cents. It's much cheaper per ounce to buy the larger cans. Even Special Kitty canned food is OK, if you stick to Super Supper, Mixed Grill, and Chunky Chicken and Tuna (the others have worse ingredients). And that's only 70 cents for a 13-ounce can. Some grocery stores have a decent store-brand canned food---Hy-Vee does, for example, but I don't know which states have Hy-Vee.
For cheaper dry food, my main recommendation is Purina Cat Chow Naturals. It costs about the same as regular Cat Chow if you can find it at Walmart, but it seems like not all Walmarts have it, and it costs a lot more at other stores. Regular Cat Chow is OK, better than other cheap brands, if you can't find Naturals. I do not EVER recommend store-brand or generic dry foods.
If you use Purina dry food, join the Purina Pro Club (Google it). You send them the weight circles and they send you checks. It's a nice money saver.

I don't buy purina chow every time i buy its ALL my pets get bad runny poo yesterday my bro got a german shepherd puppy the previous owners feed her purina chow and she's got bad runny poo we changed her diet by the way and i do not know the ingredients of Rival wet n dry thats why i ask for the ingredient I guess i aint going to get it i needed to know before tomorrow because if i dont like the ingredients i'm not going to biglots and i dont have a petsmart and will never shop there

post #6 of 13
I don't know what you have against Petsmart, LOL. Their food prices are way better than Petco's, and their selection is better too. But if you don't have one in the area, I guess it's moot anyway.

I've had success with Purina foods, as far as cheaper foods go. Plus, all the cheap foods are made by Purina now. . .Friskies, Fancy Feast, Tidy Cats, Chef's Blend, Kit-n-Kaboodle, etc. Hard to find one that isn't made by them. Unless it's just the ones that have "chow" in the name that you don't like. Anyway, Cat Chow Naturals is probably the best food you can find in Walmart or a grocery store. I would recommend giving it a try if you haven't yet---it's not in the same category as the other chows and you should see better results.

I can't really recommend any of the other cheap dry foods out there. . .most of them have no meat in them and the food dyes annoy me greatly (do you know that artificial food dyes are illegal in Europe? Nasty stuff). So I don't know what to suggest. Do you have a Tractor Supply Co in the area? 4health is a decent food, not really in the "cheap" category but cheaper than Purina ONE anyway. Diamond Naturals Active Cat and Nutro Max Cat are OK, too.

Remember that you always have to feed more of the really cheap foods, because they aren't very nutritious. Personally, I think it's cheaper to buy something a little better so you can feed less.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowy View Post

I don't know what you have against Petsmart, LOL. Their food prices are way better than Petco's, and their selection is better too. But if you don't have one in the area, I guess it's moot anyway.
I've had success with Purina foods, as far as cheaper foods go. Plus, all the cheap foods are made by Purina now. . .Friskies, Fancy Feast, Tidy Cats, Chef's Blend, Kit-n-Kaboodle, etc. Hard to find one that isn't made by them. Unless it's just the ones that have "chow" in the name that you don't like. Anyway, Cat Chow Naturals is probably the best food you can find in Walmart or a grocery store. I would recommend giving it a try if you haven't yet---it's not in the same category as the other chows and you should see better results.
I can't really recommend any of the other cheap dry foods out there. . .most of them have no meat in them and the food dyes annoy me greatly (do you know that artificial food dyes are illegal in Europe? Nasty stuff). So I don't know what to suggest. Do you have a Tractor Supply Co in the area? 4health is a decent food, not really in the "cheap" category but cheaper than Purina ONE anyway. Diamond Naturals Active Cat and Nutro Max Cat are OK, too.
Remember that you always have to feed more of the really cheap foods, because they aren't very nutritious. Personally, I think it's cheaper to buy something a little better so you can feed less.

did you know friskies kit n kaboodle purina chow fancy feast etc as the dyes in it and I cant feed friskies dry but i can feed friskies wet and my cats wont touch the fancy feast and kit n kaboodle half my cats cant handle it and chefs blend my dogs dislike it and yes i'm talking about purina chow and I dont really like purina ONE either both makes all my pets sick even the new puppy and i dont know if i have a tractor co in my area the only site i found diamond on is petfooddepot for real cheap but I dont know how much there chipping is and I dont think i tried nutro on most my cats just 2 and they snubbed it

 

I think its called petfooddepot.com or is it onlinepetdepot.com ugh i'm confused

post #8 of 13
Well, Kit-n-Kaboodle is the worst brand name dry food on the market so I certainly wasn't suggesting it! biggrin.gif Just mentioning it as one of the Purina brands. And, yeah, regular Cat Chow does have dyes but not as much as say, dry Friskies or Meow Mix. And Cat Chow Naturals has no food dyes at all and has meat as the first ingredient, which is why I recommend it.

Canned Friskies has some coloring agents but only Salmon flavor has FD&C numbered dyes (which are the really bad ones). So I don't feed salmon flavor.

Do you know of ANY feed stores in your area? Stores that only sell animal food? They really have the best selection and prices. Like I said, I really don't know what to suggest if nothing agrees with your pets. What foods have you tried that did agree with them and didn't cost too much? Go back to those.

I buy canned Friskies from here: http://www.doggiefood.com/frisies-canned-classic-pate-supreme-supper-13oz.html
With the 15% discount (not just for new members; once you make an account they e-mail the coupon codes all the time) it comes to about 94 cents a can. Which is the same as Walmart's price but sometimes Walmart doesn't have enough on the shelf.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowy View Post

Well, Kit-n-Kaboodle is the worst brand name dry food on the market so I certainly wasn't suggesting it! biggrin.gif Just mentioning it as one of the Purina brands. And, yeah, regular Cat Chow does have dyes but not as much as say, dry Friskies or Meow Mix. And Cat Chow Naturals has no food dyes at all and has meat as the first ingredient, which is why I recommend it.
Canned Friskies has some coloring agents but only Salmon flavor has FD&C numbered dyes (which are the really bad ones). So I don't feed salmon flavor.
Do you know of ANY feed stores in your area? Stores that only sell animal food? They really have the best selection and prices. Like I said, I really don't know what to suggest if nothing agrees with your pets. What foods have you tried that did agree with them and didn't cost too much? Go back to those.
I buy canned Friskies from here: http://www.doggiefood.com/frisies-canned-classic-pate-supreme-supper-13oz.html
With the 15% discount (not just for new members; once you make an account they e-mail the coupon codes all the time) it comes to about 94 cents a can. Which is the same as Walmart's price but sometimes Walmart doesn't have enough on the shelf.

The only pet stores in my area is petco and rural king sells allot of pet foods but its so confusing sometimes and the brands my pets can handle is iams BG nature variety and diamond

 

Diamond is sold for 32 dollars for 40lbs i think at onlinepetdepot but i dont know there chipping in handling cost

Iams I stopped buying them because I found out about Iamscrualty meaning they make the animals sick so they can test there product

before grain is getting expensive since i have 13 cats so is nature variety

 

do you know if speciel kitty has the dyes in it?

 

and do you know were to find the rivals ingredients thats all i wanted -_-

post #10 of 13
I can't find Rival's ingredients online anywhere either. I guess they don't want them listed tongue.gif. But I remember looking at them when I was at Big Lots, and I know I decided it wasn't good at all. The canned isn't the worst in the world but the dry food is really bad.

Special Kitty dry definitely has dyes in it, also BHA/BHT. I won't feed it to my ferals.

Diamond is pretty commonly available at hardware stores and places like that. Maybe run their store locator? That's probably the most affordable one you're going to find on your list, and if you find it locally you don't need to worry about shipping costs..
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 

Maybe rural king might sale it I don't know and that suck -_-

post #12 of 13

Do not waste your money on dry Rival cat food. This is absolutely the worst dry cat food in the world.  I can't even get the stray cat colony to eat the stuff, let alone the opossums and racoons.  I always seem to forget and accidentally pick a bag up by mistake because it looks like a good deal.  When I get it home and realize that once again I bought Rival, I always kick myself.  Okay, now it's been a few weeks and one would think I would remember to never to buy that brand name again, right?  So when I made a special trip to Big Lots to buy my cats their favorite "Temptation Teats", I picked up an off brand as well...turned out to be Rival.  I don't know why the name Rival slipped my attention that time too!  So when I got it home I opened it and tried it out, hoping their treats might be tastier than their dry cat food.  I shook the bag and my cats came running, but the minute I put a few down for them, they turned their noses up, which tells me their treats are nothing more than their horrible dry cat food.

 

This stuff can't be good for your cats if they avoid it, and as far as the ingredients on the label, I personally don't believe what they're telling me is in it.  I wish somebody would spend the money for a chemistry analysis on Rival cat food and post something for us.  There's something wrong when I can look outside the next morning and see all of it is still in the dish!  The only time I've seen any stray cat eat this stuff is out of desperation and that's telling you something!!! 

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 

I bought one bag because i had hardly any money my cats ate it okay i gave it to the ousiders and my friend so he can feed it after i got more money to get the good brand again and that was the opnkly time i bought the rival dry and i aint doing that again :/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Rival Gourmet dry n wet cat n dog food ingredients?