- 134 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Location: North Carolina, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- To spay or not to spay Last post on 12/16/13 at 2:24am in Cat Health
- Intact males and size Last post on 5/14/14 at 3:03am in Cat Health
- Tippi's been Spayed and Micro Chipped Today Last post on 4/29/14 at 3:19am in Fur Pictures and Videos Only!
- Vets turning away patients who can't pay up front Last post on 4/5/14 at 3:56am in Cat Health
- post-neuter pain meds and collar? Last post on 3/10/14 at 6:37pm in Cat Health
In Preparation for Kitten Season
Last edited: 3/3/14
- Spaying and Neutering - What to Look for After SurgeryLast edited: 9/4/13
- Spaying and Neutering - What to Ask Before the SurgeryLast edited: 9/4/13
- The ABC of TNRLast edited: 10/10/12
- The Cat Vaccination GuideLast edited: 12/2/13
We were given a Furminator as a gift, from a friend who already had one. I was concerned at first about it being the one for long haired cats specifically but my fears were alleviated quickly....
The Pioneer Fountain Big Max replaced a plastic fountain with a smaller water capacity and which stood higher off the floor. Angel likes being able to sit to drink and I like not having to refill...
Forgotten Cats is an organization that spays or neuters cats, recuperates them and returns them to their owners or caretakers. Too many times, the owners have to do the trapping and if they are...
I have tried buying other cat food for my two cats and they will walk away from their food bowls. Fancy feast is the only cat food they will eat. The love all flavors of fancy feast. The gravy...
I bought this product very soon after we got our two kittens. They were 3 months old when we got them and even though they were on wet food, I did feel they didn't drink enough water. We tried...
How much does your vet charge you to spay a cat? - Page 2post #31 of 4011/16/12 at 11:31amI just paid around $300 for Pepper. That included laser surgery, inhalant anesthesia and microchip.post #32 of 4011/16/12 at 11:41am
Wow I thought the prices over here were high but some of those prices no one here would ever get them done if the vets charged some of those prices. Last month Willow cost me €100 this was $127 and Salty was €50 so $63 this included antibiotics for Willow and her stitches taken out 10 days later.post #33 of 4011/16/12 at 11:55am
In the Washington, DC area I was quoted anywhere from $285 (male) to over $800 (female, required overnight stay) to get a cat spay/neutered. Those prices are from vets.
For TNR purposes, it is around $60, which includes rabies, calicovirus shots, defleaing, etc. The organization I went through to get 35 cats s/n off and on over a 2.5 year period luckily didn't require the cats to be absolutely feral; at least 1/3 of these cats were previously owned but abandoned. An organization I volunteer for recently opened its own non-profit s/n center. They charge for $55 female, $45 male, rabies and eartip. As part of the arrangement they made with other vets--who were opposed to them opening a s/n clinic in their neighborhood--they had to agree not to offer any routine care services and cannot keep cats overnight.post #34 of 4011/16/12 at 7:29pm
Once or twice a year our local SPCA does a free spay/neuter for cats, kittens and pitbulls. Luckily, Java was old enough when the time came so her spay and rabies vaccine was free. We did pay the $15 for after care pain meds and an e-collar (which we ended up not needing). We appreciated it SO much.
The low cost animal hospital here charges $25 for neuters and $60 for spays. Both include pain meds/after care.
Regular vet charges around $100 for spay and $50 for neuters. Depending on what part of town you are in though, it can get crazy expensive.post #35 of 4011/17/12 at 2:03am
Wow that price is just outrageous!!!! At my shelter the adoption fee is $70 and that includes the surgery, first shots, first deworming, microchipping, and a free vet visit! If you have another pet and just want to get them fixed it's $40. There is also another shelter that has a mobile spay and neuter clinic in the Summer and Fall that only charges $10!
I totally understand that vets are running a business same as everyone else and that there is a lot of overhead associated with that. However, I would think that most vets would care about general animal well-being and would want to support the message of spay and neuter and so would make it affordable. I know they have to make a living but that shouldn't happen at the expense of their morals!
Re-coup the overhead in some other way. Make spay and neuter more affordable!post #36 of 4011/17/12 at 12:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by EB24
Wow that price is just outrageous!!!!
I would think that most vets would care about general animal well-being and would want to support the message of spay and neuter and so would make it affordable. I know they have to make a living but that shouldn't happen at the expense of their morals!
Re-coup the overhead in some other way. Make spay and neuter more affordable!
I agree. My previous vets (when I lived in Leeds) were not cheap, except for neutering. They did a lot of the RSPCA work and I'm sure they were very aware of how essential making neutering costs reasonable is.post #37 of 401/21/13 at 5:23pmpost #38 of 401/21/13 at 8:29pmpost #39 of 401/22/13 at 1:12amToronto prices depress me. For everything-not just animal care, lol. My vet price to get an ultrasound in Toronto is 700 with tax. Welcome to the big city! A spay at my Scarborough vet was around 200, I think. Neuter was a lot cheaper.post #40 of 401/23/13 at 11:50pm
I think it would be difficult to find a regular vet that does spays for under $200 in Ontario. Maybe a neuter..
Spays run between $250 and $350 depending on the vet. And we are in "cottage country". Most drive to the
low cost spay/neuter clinic in Newmarket. And most vets will not spay until they have had all of their shots.
Most cannot afford hundreds of dollars and we wonder why we have cat's coming out our ying yang. :(
- How much does your vet charge you to spay a cat?
- Spaying and Neutering - What to Look for After Surgery
- › questioning 'grain free' 14 minutes ago
- › Cat bad breath any solutions? 30 minutes ago
- › Both my cats suddenly haven't pooped for three days. 48 minutes ago
- › Diatomaceous Earth for tapeworms? 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Caring for mistreated kitty/Introducing outdoor cat with indoor cats. 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › how to tell when your cat is due her kittens 1 hour, 30 minutes ago
- › Is this behavior problem? 1 hour, 40 minutes ago
- › Want to play?!! Word Association Game !! 1 hour, 46 minutes ago
- › What is your favorite sandwich? 2 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Weird clump of wet looking fur on cats leg? 2 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › FURminator deShedding Tool for Cats by sivyaleah
- › Pioneer Fountain Big Max- Stainless Steel by AngelsMom1988
- › Forgotten Cats - Greenville, DE by Ondine
- › Fancy Feast Classic Gourmet Cat Food by wsscgirl
- › Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain by Caralian
- › Tiki Cat Consomme by WebbieWabbit
- › Fancy Feast Broths with Tuna Shrimp and Whitefish Pet Food, 32-Pack by BeeoftheWoods
- › Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain by gladys
- › Stella & Chewy's Tummy Ticklin' Turkey Freeze Dried... by gladys
- › Cosmic Catnip Filled Banana by FizzyCrow