- 134 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Location: North Carolina, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- To spay or not to spay Last post on 12/16/13 at 2:24am in Cat Health
- Male cat fixated on female one, both neutered, she cant stand him. Last post on 11/23/14 at 6:11am in Behavior
- Vet Practice Rankings? Last post on 11/22/14 at 6:14pm in Cat Health
- Our Ellie is sick! Last post on 11/21/14 at 5:34pm in Cat Health
- Yowling to get into room Last post on 11/8/14 at 1:39am in Behavior
In Preparation for Kitten Season
Last edited: 3/3/14
- Spaying and Neutering - What to Look for After SurgeryLast edited: 9/4/13
- Spaying and Neutering - What to Ask Before the SurgeryLast edited: 9/4/13
- The ABC of TNRLast edited: 10/10/12
- The Cat Vaccination GuideLast edited: 12/2/13
The main idea of the Sleepypod is to keep the dome off at home so that your cat can use it as a pet bed and fill it with its "scent". Therefore when it's used for travel the cat will be be...
I ordered a good selection from Hare Today. Rabbit, Chicken, Turkey and Pork fine ground with organs and bone. All I do is measure and add nutrients . I use Alnutrin which HT also sells. I also...
This is probably an Australian item - I bought it as I've been desperate to find a brush that will help to eradicate hair balls. I've used a furminator, but the fur goes everywhere, and I have a...
I used this litter for years with my last cat, and would use it to this day if it were my own choice. Unfortunately, not all cats recognize pine litter as a 'proper litter' lol. The litter smells...
How much does your vet charge you to spay a cat? - Page 2post #31 of 4011/16/12 at 11:31amI just paid around $300 for Pepper. That included laser surgery, inhalant anesthesia and microchip.post #32 of 4011/16/12 at 11:41am
Wow I thought the prices over here were high but some of those prices no one here would ever get them done if the vets charged some of those prices. Last month Willow cost me €100 this was $127 and Salty was €50 so $63 this included antibiotics for Willow and her stitches taken out 10 days later.post #33 of 4011/16/12 at 11:55am
In the Washington, DC area I was quoted anywhere from $285 (male) to over $800 (female, required overnight stay) to get a cat spay/neutered. Those prices are from vets.
For TNR purposes, it is around $60, which includes rabies, calicovirus shots, defleaing, etc. The organization I went through to get 35 cats s/n off and on over a 2.5 year period luckily didn't require the cats to be absolutely feral; at least 1/3 of these cats were previously owned but abandoned. An organization I volunteer for recently opened its own non-profit s/n center. They charge for $55 female, $45 male, rabies and eartip. As part of the arrangement they made with other vets--who were opposed to them opening a s/n clinic in their neighborhood--they had to agree not to offer any routine care services and cannot keep cats overnight.post #34 of 4011/16/12 at 7:29pm
Once or twice a year our local SPCA does a free spay/neuter for cats, kittens and pitbulls. Luckily, Java was old enough when the time came so her spay and rabies vaccine was free. We did pay the $15 for after care pain meds and an e-collar (which we ended up not needing). We appreciated it SO much.
The low cost animal hospital here charges $25 for neuters and $60 for spays. Both include pain meds/after care.
Regular vet charges around $100 for spay and $50 for neuters. Depending on what part of town you are in though, it can get crazy expensive.post #35 of 4011/17/12 at 2:03am
Wow that price is just outrageous!!!! At my shelter the adoption fee is $70 and that includes the surgery, first shots, first deworming, microchipping, and a free vet visit! If you have another pet and just want to get them fixed it's $40. There is also another shelter that has a mobile spay and neuter clinic in the Summer and Fall that only charges $10!
I totally understand that vets are running a business same as everyone else and that there is a lot of overhead associated with that. However, I would think that most vets would care about general animal well-being and would want to support the message of spay and neuter and so would make it affordable. I know they have to make a living but that shouldn't happen at the expense of their morals!
Re-coup the overhead in some other way. Make spay and neuter more affordable!post #36 of 4011/17/12 at 12:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by EB24
Wow that price is just outrageous!!!!
I would think that most vets would care about general animal well-being and would want to support the message of spay and neuter and so would make it affordable. I know they have to make a living but that shouldn't happen at the expense of their morals!
Re-coup the overhead in some other way. Make spay and neuter more affordable!
I agree. My previous vets (when I lived in Leeds) were not cheap, except for neutering. They did a lot of the RSPCA work and I'm sure they were very aware of how essential making neutering costs reasonable is.post #37 of 401/21/13 at 5:23pmpost #38 of 401/21/13 at 8:29pmpost #39 of 401/22/13 at 1:12amToronto prices depress me. For everything-not just animal care, lol. My vet price to get an ultrasound in Toronto is 700 with tax. Welcome to the big city! A spay at my Scarborough vet was around 200, I think. Neuter was a lot cheaper.post #40 of 401/23/13 at 11:50pm
I think it would be difficult to find a regular vet that does spays for under $200 in Ontario. Maybe a neuter..
Spays run between $250 and $350 depending on the vet. And we are in "cottage country". Most drive to the
low cost spay/neuter clinic in Newmarket. And most vets will not spay until they have had all of their shots.
Most cannot afford hundreds of dollars and we wonder why we have cat's coming out our ying yang. :(
- How much does your vet charge you to spay a cat?
- Spaying and Neutering - What to Look for After Surgery
- › Kittens have been moving inside her for over a week, still no labor... 15 minutes ago
- › PLEASE HELP!!! Litter Training 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › Mattie and Herpes 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › HELP ME PLEASE - Tapeworms again 3rd time in 6 months 2 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Scaredy cat 2 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Sweet to aggressive at times...pls HELP!! 2 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Goodnight Karma 2 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Mr. Tucker 2 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › Cerenia? 2 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › Why can't Sebastian handle homemade food? 2 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › Sleepypod Mobile Pet Bed by EmilyAnn
- › Hare Today Raw Pet Food by Maureen Bradley
- › Shear Magic Ezi Clean Slicker Dog Brush by Mani
- › Feline Fresh Cat Litter by Matts mom
- › Toys R Us Tunnel Pop Up Cat Toy by Snufkin
- › Meow Mix Tender Centers Salmon and Chicken, 13.5-Pound by RoseTheWerecat
- › PureBites Cat Treats by pushylady
- › KONG Active Feather Teaser Catnip Toy by wannahelp
- › MewCorp Carpeted Cat Wall Shelves by mickNsnicks2mom
- › Taste of the Wild Dry Cat Food, Rocky Mountain Feline Formula by michi082704