- 137 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Location: North Carolina, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- To spay or not to spay Last post on 12/16/13 at 2:24am in Cat Health
- Are my kittens' incisions infected? Last post on 7/27/15 at 2:58pm in Cat Health
- Did my vet do this right? Last post on 7/29/15 at 12:50pm in Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
- Do spayed cats need a special type of food? Last post on 7/7/15 at 1:33pm in Cat Nutrition
- Extortion by the vet. Come in for a wellness visit OR no more meds. Last post on 6/24/15 at 7:34am in Cat Health
How to Talk to Your Vet
Last edited: 5/23/15
- In Preparation for Kitten SeasonLast edited: 3/3/14
- When to spay/neuter a catLast edited: 5/5/15
- Spaying and Neutering - What to Look for After SurgeryLast edited: 9/4/13
- Spaying and Neutering - What to Ask Before the SurgeryLast edited: 9/4/13
Comet loves this. I got it used, they had bought it 2 years ago. It still is like new. Comet runs through it, pops out in the middle or either end and just has a blast. I connect it to his play...
I think that this toy is great for cats that hunt. My cats watch and chase birds. Feathers and sound are very nice. Wish that there was a power button, though.
I just switched to Dr Elseys litter in the blue bag. I let it sit for 2 days to get an "honest" review of odor control, and was very happy. I also use Fresh and Light. Compared to FnL, Dr Elseys...
Soulistic really is the whole package. You get a food that you can feel good about feeding you cat, and the company provides the very best customer service I've ever experienced in my life. I...
My cat was getting chubby on his old dry, Purina One hairball. Not only that, but he was getting listless. After reviewing the ingredients in the ONE, I decided to shop around for an affordable dry...
How much does your vet charge you to spay a cat? - Page 2post #31 of 4011/16/12 at 11:31amI just paid around $300 for Pepper. That included laser surgery, inhalant anesthesia and microchip.post #32 of 4011/16/12 at 11:41am
Wow I thought the prices over here were high but some of those prices no one here would ever get them done if the vets charged some of those prices. Last month Willow cost me €100 this was $127 and Salty was €50 so $63 this included antibiotics for Willow and her stitches taken out 10 days later.post #33 of 4011/16/12 at 11:55am
In the Washington, DC area I was quoted anywhere from $285 (male) to over $800 (female, required overnight stay) to get a cat spay/neutered. Those prices are from vets.
For TNR purposes, it is around $60, which includes rabies, calicovirus shots, defleaing, etc. The organization I went through to get 35 cats s/n off and on over a 2.5 year period luckily didn't require the cats to be absolutely feral; at least 1/3 of these cats were previously owned but abandoned. An organization I volunteer for recently opened its own non-profit s/n center. They charge for $55 female, $45 male, rabies and eartip. As part of the arrangement they made with other vets--who were opposed to them opening a s/n clinic in their neighborhood--they had to agree not to offer any routine care services and cannot keep cats overnight.post #34 of 4011/16/12 at 7:29pm
Once or twice a year our local SPCA does a free spay/neuter for cats, kittens and pitbulls. Luckily, Java was old enough when the time came so her spay and rabies vaccine was free. We did pay the $15 for after care pain meds and an e-collar (which we ended up not needing). We appreciated it SO much.
The low cost animal hospital here charges $25 for neuters and $60 for spays. Both include pain meds/after care.
Regular vet charges around $100 for spay and $50 for neuters. Depending on what part of town you are in though, it can get crazy expensive.post #35 of 4011/17/12 at 2:03am
Wow that price is just outrageous!!!! At my shelter the adoption fee is $70 and that includes the surgery, first shots, first deworming, microchipping, and a free vet visit! If you have another pet and just want to get them fixed it's $40. There is also another shelter that has a mobile spay and neuter clinic in the Summer and Fall that only charges $10!
I totally understand that vets are running a business same as everyone else and that there is a lot of overhead associated with that. However, I would think that most vets would care about general animal well-being and would want to support the message of spay and neuter and so would make it affordable. I know they have to make a living but that shouldn't happen at the expense of their morals!
Re-coup the overhead in some other way. Make spay and neuter more affordable!post #36 of 4011/17/12 at 12:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by EB24
Wow that price is just outrageous!!!!
I would think that most vets would care about general animal well-being and would want to support the message of spay and neuter and so would make it affordable. I know they have to make a living but that shouldn't happen at the expense of their morals!
Re-coup the overhead in some other way. Make spay and neuter more affordable!
I agree. My previous vets (when I lived in Leeds) were not cheap, except for neutering. They did a lot of the RSPCA work and I'm sure they were very aware of how essential making neutering costs reasonable is.post #37 of 401/21/13 at 5:23pmpost #38 of 401/21/13 at 8:29pmpost #39 of 401/22/13 at 1:12amToronto prices depress me. For everything-not just animal care, lol. My vet price to get an ultrasound in Toronto is 700 with tax. Welcome to the big city! A spay at my Scarborough vet was around 200, I think. Neuter was a lot cheaper.post #40 of 401/23/13 at 11:50pm
I think it would be difficult to find a regular vet that does spays for under $200 in Ontario. Maybe a neuter..
Spays run between $250 and $350 depending on the vet. And we are in "cottage country". Most drive to the
low cost spay/neuter clinic in Newmarket. And most vets will not spay until they have had all of their shots.
Most cannot afford hundreds of dollars and we wonder why we have cat's coming out our ying yang. :(
- How much does your vet charge you to spay a cat?
- In Preparation for Kitten Season
- › Approximate delivery day for this mama kitty? 24 seconds ago
- › Help please. Swollen gland and nipple 3 minutes ago
- › Paranoid new cat owner. Question about how long to leave him alone 13 minutes ago
- › Re homing fee... 14 minutes ago
- › My 1 year old cat is limping 17 minutes ago
- › i Need to give away my kittens!!! (free ) 19 minutes ago
- › Distraught 29 minutes ago
- › Parents won't believe me that they shouldn't rub their belly :( 30 minutes ago
- › My 1 year old picky Peterbald won't eat his wet food 35 minutes ago
- › Cat in labor?? 54 minutes ago
- › CrackleChute Collapsible Tunnel by Laura H
- › Play-N-Squeak Backyard Cat Toy by catluvr321
- › Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter by misterwhiskers
- › Soulistic Adult Canned Cat Food in Gravy - Various Flavors by lflmm
- › Goodlife Dry Food for Cats by misterwhiskers
- › Whisker City Pet Food Can Cover by rubysmama
- › Purina Maxx Scoop Multi-Cat by rubysmama
- › Fancy Feast Broths - Various Flavors by CONVERT94
- › Pleasant Pond Bengals - Ridge, NY by deis1
- › SmartCat All Natural Clumping Litter, 5-Pound by Raksha