What are the signs of issues in livers of cats and what can I do to help? Is the cat in pain??
Liver failure in a 3 yr old cat
Have you taken the cat to the vet for a liver panel? Is the cat jaundiced (yellow years/eyes)?
Has he lost a lot of weight? Was he off food or eating less for a while?
What is your vet saying?
I took her ,"Bella", to the vet and he said she had an infection, and wanted to run expensive blood work that I couldn't afford. We agreed to do the urinalysis and to send us home with antibiotics and a pill called Denosyl. The urine test confirmed she had a infection and the vet told me to keep giving her the meds and call if anything changed.
She was doing ok on one day and not the next, and yes she had become Jaundice. Then she stopped eating or drinking anything. After doing the force feeding, that the vet told me to do, she started vomiting and wasn't able to keep anything at all down. All day Monday she was acting out of it, even more than she was to begin with. Unfortunately, Tuesday morning at 2:00am I went to check on her and she had passed away. I was going to take her back to the Vet that morning for IV fluids but she was gone.
I am beating myself up over this and feel like it is all my fault. I literally feel like I have lost one of my children! She was the best cat I have ever known and just 3 yrs old!! I'm devastated!!
This thread completely confused me as it started only 4 hours ago..... You were asking then if the cat was in pain and what you could do to help..... now that cat has been dead since Tuesday
What probably happened is that the infection and then the meds caused her appetite to drop, and her going off food caused the liver to fail. Cats can not go without food. It can be devastating.
Sorry again for your loss
- 1,452 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Location: pennsylvania
- Select All Posts By This User
I'm so sorry. (hugs) I went through the same thing with my cat a year and a half ago. It seems impossible now , but after some time you will be able to think of her and remember happy memories. Take comfort in all the sweet times you had together. Hoping you feel a little bit better soon.
- 7,624 Posts. Joined 9/2006
- Location: Tall Trees & Cold Seas Vancouver Island
- Select All Posts By This User
I'd like to add that there are plants that are deadly to cats, including household plants and cut flowers. For example, all parts of the lily plant including the tiniest bit of pollen, will kill a cat if inhaled or ingested, and not immediately treated. Most people don't realize their cat is ill from an encounter with a toxic plant until it's too late. It's tough not knowing the cause... I'm very sorry for your loss of Bella.
Thank you to everyone who replied to my post.Your kind words are comforting and appreciated!!
Its been over a week since Bella Passed away and I am missing her more and more everyday! Its getting harder instead of easier..
I am also worried about her sister (same mom different litter).I haven't seen any health issues arise but should I be concerned that "Alice" will get stressed or depressed without her sister around? Bella has been with Alice since Alice was born.
I don't want Alice to go down hill, I couldn't bear another family member gone!!''''''''