Originally Posted by jennifer505
I am at the my wits end.
My cat is now about 14 months old. After he got neurtered (6 months) he started with the constant scratching on his head and neck. My vet told me is it probably food allergies. He started on Hill D/D, then Hills Z/D and now on prescription food from Royal Canine. He scratches to a point that he has sores all over his neck and head. So bad sometimes they will bleed. I take him to the vet about 2-3 times a month where he will receive 3 shots: Allergy, antibiotic and steroid. Nothing help with the presciption food so I took him to an animal allergist. They found nothing wrong with him and also said it is probably food allergies and it could take awhile until I find the right formula.
Well a couple months later I had him tested for allergies. Indoor and outdoor panel. He is allergic to about 25 different things. The indoor showed that he is highly allergic to cat dander and dust, chicken, pork. (so he is a cat allergic to himself...makes no sense!!!) He is midly allergic to other things too. I give him his allergy shots as precribed. The shots have been going on for almost 2 months and I see no improvement. A week ago he had scratched his head so bad he delevoped an infection in his skin. The infection also went into his eye. It was the weekend so I took him to the animal hospital. He is fine now with the steroid shot and antibiotics.
I am completely lost and frustrated. My vet has an excellent reputation and pretty much said he has the worst allergies he has seen ever. I have spent thousands of dollars on him and he is only 14 months old. I have tried bathing him for the allergy to cat dander but he clawes the heck out of me. I have 2 air purifiers for the dust allergy. He had a blood test and all his organs are within normal range. Negative for feline FIV and Leukemia. He does not have mites. He is on flea control although he never goes outside. Do anyone have any suggestions???? I don't know what else I can possibly do.
I have heard of raw food diet but I seriously doubt it will make that much of a difference.
I am so glad you posted all the details! I can relate completely as I used to have a cat like that. Well, not exactly, but very similar. Obviously, it is impossible to give you medical advice without a DVM degree, but I have purrsonal experience to help you and your cat.
Wilbur was diagnosed with allergies when he was licking lots of fur off to the point of having large bald spots, some of them red. Brown things were in his ears too. First the vet said he had a yeast infection in his ears, which is caused by allergies. He said the fur loss was also allergies but could not say if that was food or something else. So he ordered an eight-week food elimination test, meaning Wilbur must only eat rabbits.
After six weeks, we knew that was not the problem. So the next step was steroid shots. But steroid shots are dangerous - too many of them is the formula for organ failure and diabetes. They also made Wilbur sneeze at high doses. So one day the vet asked me if I want a blood test to determine what Wilbur was allergic to, which would allow a dermatologist to create a customized allergy shot. I said yes because I didn't want a diabetic cat.
The blood test, which cost almost $200, revealed Wilbur had 20 definite allergies and was borderline for five more, so I took him to a specialty hospital with two dermatologists. While they treated him he stopped licking his coat off, but started getting large scabs of varying sizes, one or two at a time usually but sometimes more. They ordered more blood tests just to get updates, and each time he had more allergies. One was, to everyone's surprise, other cats - but not himself. He was also allergic to human hair LOL. Some allergies were severe.
Allergy shots worked well enough to stop the steroid shots but one dermatologist eventually put him on dry Hill's and wet Royal Canin d/d. No one ever said he was definitely allergic to something in the Blue Buffalo he used to eat. They just thought it is a good idea to put him on rabbit and pea for the rest of his life. Wilbur still had occasional flare-ups with clusters of scabs all over his body, but usually had few or none and he never licked his coat off again. However, he did lick and bite two toes on his right foot a lot. Eventually, he no longer liked the rabbit and peas. A dermatologist switched him to lamb and barley to make him eat again and that worked.
Sadly, Wilbur was euthanized December 1 after six months with CRF. I read allergies increase the risk of getting that disease.