or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Do indoor cats really need vaccines?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do indoor cats really need vaccines? - Page 3

post #61 of 133
Thread Starter 

I think it is a good idea to vaccinate all incoming pets at a shelter. That is just a no-brainer to me because there is no proof they are up to date on boosters. Boarded animals are another story. You know the cats did or did not get vaccines recently, so all kennels should do is request proof they are healthy.

post #62 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyMayWilcha View Post

I think it is a good idea to vaccinate all incoming pets at a shelter. That is just a no-brainer to me because there is no proof they are up to date on boosters.

But that's the heart of the issue in the discussion in this thread - the definition of "up to date" on "boosters." All of these links point to boosters being unnecessary. No, there's no paperwork on rescue kitties. But they can do titre testing. That would be the "proof" and determine whether or not they need a vaccination.
post #63 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG View Post


But that's the heart of the issue in the discussion in this thread - the definition of "up to date" on "boosters." All of these links point to boosters being unnecessary. No, there's no paperwork on rescue kitties. But they can do titre testing. That would be the "proof" and determine whether or not they need a vaccination.

If you talk to five vets, you might get five different answers. I guarantee you some vets will say, "The AVMA recommends the FVRCP vaccine, so we give that one every year," or something like that. Then there will be another vet who says, "If the cats never go out, they only need one: rabies, just because state law requires it."

 

I thought about ordering the book Stop the Shots! on Amazon, but it would not come with the rest of my order (all three pet food books can be shipped free in two days), so I deleted it from my shopping cart. Maybe I should have marked it as "saved for later" instead.

post #64 of 133
The AVMA doesn't even recommend yearly shots. Which really ought to tell you something.
post #65 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowy View Post

The AVMA doesn't even recommend yearly shots. Which really ought to tell you something.

 

I think they used to recommend annual shots and changed their policy after research showed it is not necessary to do it that often. I told them to give my cats the three-year rabies shot, but never heard the FVRCP vaccine is good for more than one year.

post #66 of 133
Emily, have you read the links in the thread?

Here's another one: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=vaccines
post #67 of 133

I only give my kittens the first shots and one year boosters. That's it. I hate giving them rabies vaccines though, they always make my kitties feel yucky...but it's the law. thewife.gif

post #68 of 133

I'm not big on vaccinations either. What happens if they are brought to the vet without having had  a rabies shots? Cats are only indoors even if you say that it seems the vets cringe? Does a cat have to have a rabies shot when brought into a vet? I feel its up to me not them. Does a vet still have to treat a cat even if it had no rabies.??

post #69 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by batrice View Post

Does a cat have to have a rabies shot when brought into a vet? I feel its up to me not them. Does a vet still have to treat a cat even if it had no rabies.??

 

It's up to each vet clinic to decide what their policy is, so they are certainly within their rights to refuse to treat cats not vaccinated to the level they think they should be. It's also within your rights to find a new vet, if that's the case. And if that happens, I would tell them WHY you're going to a new vet, so they're made aware that their ignorance is having a financial impact on their business. Perhaps it will give them something to ponder.

post #70 of 133

Like a lot of you, I've only had my cats get their kitten series. Mine ARE indoor only. Someone would have to break into my house and drag my cats outside...but first they would have to find them because the cats hide around other people. They run and hide if the door is open too long. lol! As much as I love my vet I was not very happy when Taz got a rabies vac. against my wishes. It's not required by law here and my feelings are that my cats have a higher risk of vac-site cancer than actual rabies. My husband had to take Tazzy in for his spay and I told him not to let them rabies vac him. (They always ask when they see my cats aren't) So I'm not really sure who is at fault that Tazzy got the shot but I was po'd at everyone involved.
 

post #71 of 133

I did a bunch of research on pet vaxs about 10 years ago and after that quit vaccinating completely. I had a dog years ago that I believe his health problems were caused by over vaccination by his previous owner. At this point, once the pet enters my home it gets no more vaxs. I can't control what happened to them before I got them, so that means the dogs had puppy shots as did the kitties I got from rescue. 

post #72 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG View Post

Emily, have you read the links in the thread?

I meant no vet told me Patricia does not need the FVRCP vaccine.

 

My new vet told me what I wanted to hear: There is no reason to vaccinate her anymore. smile.gif

post #73 of 133

I have never had a holistic vet recommend a rabies vaccine for an indoor cat.  My vets know I will not, under any circumstances, vaccinate my cat for anything.  I will take my chances with the rabies virus before I roll the dice with VAS.

post #74 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeandBooBoo View Post

I have never had a holistic vet recommend a rabies vaccine for an indoor cat.  My vets know I will not, under any circumstances, vaccinate my cat for anything.  I will take my chances with the rabies virus before I roll the dice with VAS.

I chose a vet who was recommended by another vet who knew him when she was in medical school. Because he said Patricia does not need the FVRCP vaccine, I am confident that if Florida law does not require it, he will not give her the rabies shot next year either. He is not holistic but obviously knows there is no risk of an indoor cat getting a deadly virus.

post #75 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post

My cat has not been vaccinated since he was a kitten. He is 10 years old, indoor only. I don't vaccinate my dogs as adults either, just rabies... IMO vaccines are effective for way longer than the manufacturer says anyway. I probably carry in God-knows-what on my clothes every day just from being out in the world (especially working at a vet clinic) and I tend to believe this is enough to keep the immune response of my healthy animals adequate.

 

That's just me, though. For most people I recommend they at least get titers checked. But I don't think we need to vaccinate all the time, especially indoor cats that aren't out there exploring the world of disease.


I really don't think indoor cats need vaccines. I've been told that cats need some of them every year. I don't have a prob with the rabies one. Its all that other stuff recommended. The every year or how ever often is recommended  I think is more of a money making thing. Then again I don't know about this field of medicine so forgive me if I sound ignorant.

post #76 of 133

I vaccinate my cat every year. Never know what will happen in the future..

post #77 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by konstargirl View Post

I vaccinate my cat every year. Never know what will happen in the future..
But here's the thing. . .if you understand how vaccines work, you realize that vaccinating every year doesn't do any good. Vaccines "train" the immune system how to handle a virus. Once the immune system is trained, it doesn't forget (at least not for many years without a challenge). So once the immune system is trained, repeating the vaccinations is useless, no matter what "happens in the future".

Considering even the AVMA doesn't recommend yearly vaccines, you wonder how any vets still justify vaccinating annually.
post #78 of 133

But sometimes I take my cat outside...

post #79 of 133
Once the immune system is trained, what does it matter if the cat is inside or outside? In fact, immunity from vaccines probably lasts longer in outside cats, because their immune systems get frequent "reminders".

When was the last time you had an MMR vaccine? Even though you go outside? Vaccines work the same in cats as in humans.
post #80 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekittysaver View Post


I really don't think indoor cats need vaccines. I've been told that cats need some of them every year. I don't have a prob with the rabies one. Its all that other stuff recommended. The every year or how ever often is recommended  I think is more of a money making thing. Then again I don't know about this field of medicine so forgive me if I sound ignorant.

There are a lot of really informational links in this thread that are easy to understand even if you aren't familiar with medical jargon.

Sadly, the rabies vaccine is one of the vaccinations most associated with development of cancer.
post #81 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by konstargirl View Post

But sometimes I take my cat outside...

Did you read the subject title of this thread? I specifically asked if INDOOR-ONLY cats need vaccines. Meaning cats who never go outside.

post #82 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG View Post


Sadly, the rabies vaccine is one of the vaccinations most associated with development of cancer.

Are you mad many states require it? I certainly would be if any of my cats got skin cancer that way! But I always thought people were crazy to think it is not necessary because my assumption was if that was true, it would not be required by law in a lot of places.

post #83 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyMayWilcha View Post

Did you read the subject title of this thread? I specifically asked if INDOOR-ONLY cats need vaccines. Meaning cats who never go outside.

Well, it's a natural extension of the discussion. And as Willowy points out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowy View Post

Once the immune system is trained, what does it matter if the cat is inside or outside? In fact, immunity from vaccines probably lasts longer in outside cats, because their immune systems get frequent "reminders".

When was the last time you had an MMR vaccine? Even though you go outside? Vaccines work the same in cats as in humans.

Really, the discussion and information isn't dependent on whether cats are indoor-only.
post #84 of 133
Thread Starter 

The only reason I asked about the importance of vaccines in the first place was I never did and never will have an indoor-outdoor cat. The keyword in my question is indoor.

 

Willowy's point made me wonder why people need to get the MMR vaccine more than once if the fact that we go outside helps keep our immune systems trained. My assumption is if cats who go outside do not need to be vaccinated again, neither do humans. So as long as people get the tetanus shot every 10 years instead of one for life, I will always give cats who go outside all vaccines on the market even if they are known to cause skin cancer.

post #85 of 133

Whats MMR???

post #86 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by konstargirl View Post

Whats MMR???


Measles, Mumps, and Rubella.  A standard vaccine for children.

post #87 of 133

after reading this online...http://www.rawfedcats.org/vaccinosis.htm

this makes me think twice about vaccines and feeding my babies Commercial canned & kibbled petfoodspurplexed.gif.

post #88 of 133
Thread Starter 

I never thought a website about changing the way you feed cats would have information completely unrelated to the feline diet before I clicked on raw food links.

post #89 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG View Post


But that's the heart of the issue in the discussion in this thread - the definition of "up to date" on "boosters." All of these links point to boosters being unnecessary. No, there's no paperwork on rescue kitties. But they can do titre testing. That would be the "proof" and determine whether or not they need a vaccination.

Good post, I agree!  I worked years ago at an animal hospital when one of the vets there shared information about perhaps cats didn't need yearly vaccines afterall, that every 3 years (at that time this was the thinking) would do.  It changed how I began approaching the vaccinations of my kitties. And now  I much prefer the idea of doing the titre testing.

post #90 of 133

My cat Midnight is dying from fibrosarcoma that developed after her shots in December.  She is 15 and we are just keeping her comfortable but the end will come soon as she is starting to eat less.  I am furious that my vet never told me of the risks.  I have 8 cats ages 13-17 and all have been vaccinated routinely.  Never again.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Do indoor cats really need vaccines?