Ants are really, really bad this year.
I've been fighting them all summer long.
I've only had one or two incursions into the house. And they love kitty food.
You didn't mention if your problem is indoors or outdoors.
I'm allergic to all chemicals so anything I use is safe for my animals - 2 cats and 1 dog.
Here's my solutions:
1. Sprinkle a 3 inch wide strip of diatomaceous earth all around your house. If you live in an apartment, you can sprinkle diatomaceous earth inside. But you will have to vacuum it up once you leave the apartment.
2. You can use a natural ant bait, but you'll have to keep kitty out of it. Here's how to make it - 4 ounces of water,
1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon boric acid. Mix this up (you may have to heat it a bit to get it to dissolve). Pour the mixture into butter tub tops and set out where ant trails are.
3. Go to a natural products store and look for Orange Guard. This is a citrus based remedy that is safe to use around pets and will kill the ants on contact.
4. Put kitty's dish into a bowl slighly larger than the dish and then add water until there is about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch of water coming up the side of the dish.
5. Windex kills ants on contact.
I'm trying a new product outdoors that seems to have stopped the ants cold. It's made from daisies and doesn't bother any of my pets. I'll get the name of it and post it.